homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Oh My! Prostate Screening Time!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh My! Prostate Screening Time!
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 09:31      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everybody!

Here is my story for you today. Enough about you, what about ME!?

Mrs. Geek 2U works at a Urology clinic and was really, really bugging me to attend her clinic's free prostate screening. After a bit of talk I kicked my shoe and agreed.

Well, the Doctor found a lump.

And then I had this biopsy.

For a week I bled all over.

Today they tell me I have intermediate level cancer, Gleason scale 7.

Next Friday I have robotic surgery to remove my prostate.

It all happens so fast. If you are a man and you are 45 and over get your screening! I went by coincidence and look what happened!

Well I hope everybody is having a better day than me!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 10:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not the only old fart (sorry, bad pun) around here that's gone through this.

It sounds like you're being treated well, and they're taking the swift action necessary to keep it from spreading.

You have my well wishes for a speedy recovery!

Edit 2 Add: Oh yeah, and keep us informed!!!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 11:36      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well crud! Glad it got caught at the screening.

What do you mean by robotic surgery! Not sure Michael would let a robot down there. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 30, 2009 11:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
crap [Frown] Really sorry to hear that.

But glad you got checked out and are getting quick treatment.

Did you have any symptoms before the test?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! Sorry to hear your bad news.....but I'm glad to hear the good news...

- you got checked out and are now getting treatment. [Applause]

Best wishes for a comfortable recovery. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 16:21      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the surgery.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 17:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Mr. Geek 2U

____ Slow down you do not have to run a Sprint. Who is doing the surgery, does s/he have more than 500 cases on her/his record.

____ Many men die with Prostate Cancer, very few die from it. If you want a ton of links I can provide same.

____ The chief reason to have the procedure done Robotically is nerve sparing. If the Surgeon has not done very many, your nerves may not be spared.

____ Look up Prostate at Mayo Clinic, Henry Ford Hospital. There are also radioactive seeding methods that offer good long term results. A gleason of seven while sounding bad does not mean you are going to die next week. Please take some time and look over all the methods and outcomes, I opted for surgery five months after the diagnosis, I know an old man that has a PSA of 20 and a gleason of ten and has had those values for several years, His heart is not strong enough to under go the surgery. Truthfully I probably had two or three years to think it all over, I made my move when I did because of financial news, would I still have insurance?

http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003021#000013

http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003021#000000

http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003885#000000

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2009 18:54      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody for your well wishes. Thank you very much!

Mr. Mo Man, I thank you extra for sharing your experience and insight. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Here is the deal, then.

My cancer is very unusual. I suspect I have had it at least three years already. It's just the way things felt, but the lumps weren't there and the PSA was low.

Most of the cells are an intermediate or lower level cancer and they are very spread out. The cancer appears in 5 of 6 sextiles, with the most severe cancer near the middle of the gland.

The surgeon says the formation is so uncommon that he would call it unique! So I think it may be a low-grade spreading cancer and there is a slight worry that it may have already spread outside the gland. That is why we want to act PDQ, ASAP, and fast, too!

The surgeons at Henry Ford seem very good, Mr. Mo Man. Thank you.

I think I have a good one, too. Plus a good team. Plus extra motivation.

My wife is the head nurse of the clinic. They don't want to make her a widow. I have the whole clinic working for me.

And now, here is the good geek news! The surgeon is a GEEK! Really! He has an EE degree from Texas A&M. That is the same school my brother-in-law, Captain America, a super-geek went to school!

CAPTAIN AMERICA KEEPS AMERICA FREE!

It is a very tough engineering school. So this doctor knows robots! Wow!

He has his M.D. from Baylor. That is another Wow! It is a fine school.

Next, instead of a General Surgery study, he started right into MIS, minimally invasive surgery. Fellowship trained at Pitt, Chief resident at University of Chicago Hospitals (UC home of more Nobel prizes than any other educational institution Wow!)

NOBEL PRIZE FOR UROLOGY, SEE BOTTOM, WOW!

He received additional training at The Ohio State University, and at the Cleveland Clinic. That's right, the Cleveland Clinic. Wow!

THE CLEVELAND CLINIC, WOW!

And hey! For Biology Geeks, He has published 9 Scientific Papers on the subject of robotic surgery! Wow!

Executive Nurse in another life would be a spit-and-polish MCPO (Master Chief Petty Officer). 25 years in ER, Thoracic, Ortho and Neurosurgery. I should know, I married her. Try putting the mustard out of place in the refrigerator. We don't have a dishwasher, we own an autoclave.

She is also in charge of bringing back um, getting it, uh. Oh! she's in charge of getting me to rise and shine after the surgery!

#1 Gas jockey at the hospital. Scrub nurse has been with this surgeon for 5 years.

We're ready to roll at 0600 Friday Morning!

Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2009 19:13      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! I hope everything goes really well on Friday!

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2009 02:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Mr. Geek 2U Some info for you and the others at these forums. The DaVinci is not a true robot, it is an assisted end effector. Think of an Excavator or back-hoe. The Surgeon is not right at the table he is near-by, but not right there. he is over driving the arm. His assistants are drawing little boxes on the monitors that the end effector (knife) must stay in-side.

____ Lets say he has chose to make a X+ towards X- move then the Y-axis servos will lock their brakes. It does get more complicated when you throw in the Z-axis but I think you can figure out the dynamics.

____ After you are on the mend I will tell you some other interesting details.

____ Buy stock in Tena, Depends or what ever leak gaurd you will be using.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2009 10:39      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not sure how I feel about that robot. What if your surgeon didn't do well with graph paper in math class and messes up his axis points. Ack!

Hope all goes well

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2009 10:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Aditu, do not worry about his 3D math skills, this is like running a back-hoe, or excavator, "joy sticks".

____ Inside his abdomen will be several lights and video cameras along with the End effector. So really he and the team will have better vision than if it were a Laporotomy.

____ My good news today, Two weeks ago I had a colonoscopy, so now my sitter-downer has been violated three times now. Well I got the path reports and all is good, NO Colon Cancer!! Yeah!! This getting old stuff is not pleasant, the things that the Docs. want to do to your body, are they gay?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 03:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Thats Mr. Geek 2U. By the time you read this you should be home, in or near your favorite recliner, you do have one don't you. You may or may not "be a hurtin."

____ You will find that TV Sucks, and setting up in a chair at the computer tires you out fast. Do lots of fiber, you do not want to strain while setting at the stool.

____ I was warned to keep the urine collection bag in a mop (oops should have said swab) bucket, we have both a Cat and a Dog. Claws and teeth, plastic bag (chew toy) that is one item you do not want leaking on the carpet. Sweat pants are your friend, you may have to cut the leg cuffs to make them easier to put on. When done right the hose comes down your leg, curls once and into the bucket. Don't worry by the time you are ready to leave the house the first time you will have lost all dignity. You will grow to hate your recliner, becareful of people that come up behind, bend over and attempt to give you a smooch, recliners will tip over backwards.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2009 11:22      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know when you will log in, but I hope the surgery went well this morning and that it hadn't spread far. fingers and toes crossed

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture