homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Snow Leopard exceeding expectations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snow Leopard exceeding expectations
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 07:20      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow Leopard has gotten really bad press, and even JOT did a great send-up of it with the cartoon the other day in which the initial enthusiasm wears off and even the Kool-Aid inoculated notice that they've just paid $30 for a menu clock that shows the date. ZDNet posted scathing reviews as if Apple has really lost it, that this was their last chance for redemption and they blew it, etc. Of course, that's nothing new; they've been saying that since the Apple ][ days. But Snow Leopard? A bust? Come on! Unless you're strictly a browser/calendar/addressbook/chat type, you've got to notice that Snow Leopard is amazing.

In my music studio it has turned everything around. It fixed bugs that littered my software from one end to the other and had me wishing I'd just stuck to the symphony stuff and never gotten a computer. Now all my music software runs perfectly, and while I can't say it's bug-free (that's like saying you know where the end of the universe is), it has not presented any bugs since upgrading to Snow Leopard.

You've got to be happy about paying $30 for an OS upgrade which instantly upgrades dozens of high-dollar professional apps and makes you feel like everything else is brand new, too.

An HP programming engineer I know was elated when Snow Leopard enabled him to load Microsoft's Exchange Server, and once he put in his name and password, it found everything else and enabled him to log into his work accounts from his Mac without booting Windows. He said that now he needs only one computer at work or home: his Mac -- on which he programs HP's code and tests it on virtual machines. Good grief! Where are the ZDNet guys? People are switching to the Mac and Snow Leopard for programming spotless PC code in the most entrenched companies in the industry. Isn't there some irony there?

Snow Leopard, it seems, is the REAL Leopard. It appears that Apple released Leopard just to say they made the deadline, while in reality it wasn't even close to being finished. Snow Leopard is the finished version. That's plenty to be happy about. The menu clock showing the day of the week is just extra help for those of us who work long hours and forget what day of the week it is! [Wink]

Shooshie

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 02, 2009 07:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reviews I read (Pogue, Mossberg, Ars (which is a mind-boggelingly thorough one btw), were all very positive.

My real life experience has been hmmm, not negative, but not blown away either. (MacBook Pro 17" 2.5 Core 2 Duo, 4 GB sdram)

I like the faster wake-from-sleep, the dock is more useful, and I perhaps notice a wee speed increase. The 512 x 512 icons are fun too. Mail seems a wee bit faster too. Come to think of it, lots of little things I'm noticing over the week.

Not so good stuff... Fireworks CS4 is acting weird (not that it ever acted correctly in the first place [Frown] )

I should probably change my desktop picture, then it would really feel new. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 10:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photoshop (elements 6) seems to be crashing a bit more, I've had some fairly lengthy freezes in camino (1.5.5), but everything else seems a bit perkier. I'm not sold on the HUD display when clicking on the dock, and windows shrink more when using expose, making them marginally harder to hit. (I use expose for all my window switching needs.)

I've not tried any heavy lifting yet, but it seems nice enough. If I was not able to upgrade because I had a G4, I wouldn't feel as though I was missing out.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 11:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have got me thinking...

I'm going away for a couple weeks as of Friday. When I get back, I'll take another look at this thread and decide. If Snow Leopard truly greases up the whole Mac/PC crossover thing I'm interested.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 11:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silly non-technical poke:
Isn't it just a wee bit silly than the 'snow leopard' has snow atop his/her head? I guess it just reinforces the silliness of the name, but I imagine they figured no one would 'get it' otherwise? I just think it looks like a somewhat displeased snow leopard. I expect most such snow leopards would shake the snow off themselves. :/

*Edited (in italics) to use the animal species name consistently.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 12:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The leopard probably had more interesting things to deal with than shaking snow off its head. The photo on the outside of the box was photoshopped... sorry, "enhanced with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software"... to remove the blood from the leopard's mouth where it had just killed something.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 13:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<random biology lesson>
Snow leopards are an endangered species of big cats that live in the mountainous bits of Central Asia and are quite accustomed to snow. The cat in the picture may not be aware it has snow on it yet (don't laugh, you'd be surprised at how much water it takes to make my little house cat notice it's getting wet) or may not care or might be seconds away from shaking itself off. It is not, however, a leopard with snow photoshopped onto it. For starters, the leopard, which is not endangered and is found all over Africa and Asia wherever it's not super mountainous or desert, is yellow.
</random biology lesson>
If Snow Leopard is what Apple wanted Leopard to be, it makes sense that they'd choose a big cat with a similar common name. However, if you can arse yourself to click the links, you'll find that snow leopards and leopards aren't even currently classed in the same genus, making them totally different animals.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 14:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone said the snow was photoshopped. I just think the leopard was more interested in whatever it just killed than in the fact that it had gotten snow on top of it's head while attacking.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 21:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
n.b. Steen and I were both taking the piss.

I've since updated my post to clarify my understanding of the different species.

That said, I still think it looks damned silly. [Smile]

(And not a single image on Wikipedia featured snow atop the snow leopard. Even the linked Nat'l Geo. images all featured snow leopards with relatively dry heads.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2009 08:50      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might help to know just what has changed, and why it has changed. We're sitting on some paradigm shifts in Snow Leopard, some of which are just now becoming visible. As developers utilize these shifts, Snow Leopard will mature and the changes will start becoming more profound even to the casual user.

For now, getcha true unnerstannin' rightchere!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars

That's one long article, but even though he goes into too much detail about the trivial, he also gives us a thorough understanding of the profound changes in Snow Leopard. Honestly, this is worth a lot more than the time it takes to read it.

Shoosh

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 01:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't look at the cover without thinking of this: http://twitpic.com/dbcze

I'm looking forward to installing it. Bought it yesterday; the card readers in the Apple Store stopped working so I got it for free!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 19:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
If I was not able to upgrade because I had a G4, I wouldn't feel as though I was missing out.

Jonathan has an iBook G4 that we use for our regular computer. (My Pismo is brought out when we need to print since the iBook is missing CUPS.) It's only running OS 10.3.9. Since I can't upgrade the iBook to Snow Leopard, what CAN I upgrade it to?
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 23:55      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
If I was not able to upgrade because I had a G4, I wouldn't feel as though I was missing out.

Jonathan has an iBook G4 that we use for our regular computer. (My Pismo is brought out when we need to print since the iBook is missing CUPS.) It's only running OS 10.3.9. Since I can't upgrade the iBook to Snow Leopard, what CAN I upgrade it to?
There is Tiger, or Leopard (minus the snow).
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 01:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only upgrade to Leopard if your iBook meets the minimum spec and you have maxed out the RAM. I would suggest at least 1.5 GB for Leopard, as it just eats up RAM. The Tiger is much less greedy, and can run quite nicely on half that. But if you can, the Leopard is a much sleeker cat, and is required for most recent software.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 13:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm perfectly happy with Tiger. I don't give a flying fsck about the shiny trinkets in Leopard. Snow Leopard may actually be a worthwhile upgrade, but I don't care for this 'Mac Pack' nonsense. I see no reason to ask my employer to buy me iLife or iWork. I'm perfectly content with myLife, and I already do myWork quite well with the plain OS and a handful of apps.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 00:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also saw this, which is a shame.

Apparently creator code have been dumped.

EDIT: Grrr, just also noticed another annoyance.
In leopard, it was easy enough to disable the caps lock key so it did nothing, or remap it to ctrl, or whatever it is the hackers want.

They have changed the preference pane and I can not work out how to do it now, if it is possible. If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 16:48      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish: Keyboard preferences pane, make sure the "Keyboard" tab is selected at the top, then Modifier Keys... in the bottom right. Or just type "caps lock" into Spotlight.

My main annoyance so far is that the latest dev tools didn't come on the disc, and they're such a massive download.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 00:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurrah! Thanks Max, a case of temporary blindness, had the wrong tab open. Why the update killed it, I have no idea.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture