homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Goodbye Reading Rainbow.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goodbye Reading Rainbow.
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 01, 2009 13:10      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this posted, but I figured with how many of us probably started reading and read for enjoyment now, it was something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Reading Rainbow has been cancelled.

It is really sad. It is easy to teach a kid phonics, it is a lot harder to teach them to give a shit about reading.

Yes I did watch reading Rainbow, from the beginning until I got to around 10 or so. And I still remember looking at Star Trek TNG and saying to myself,"You know the guy with the air filter on his face looks real familiar..."

So thank you LeVar, and thank you reading rainbow for teaching so many to love reading.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2009 13:29      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well-said Shroom. I too lament this loss.

My mom was an elementary/middle school librarian and she had just about every episode on tape. She would show them to her classes and put the books from the show up in conspicuous locations so the kids could easily find them.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2009 15:03      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that sucks. I used to watch it as a kid, too. I have to admire LeVar for sticking with the show for its entire run, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2009 08:08      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think it is a bad decision. My five year old loves this show during the summer. It can't cost that much to produce or even run repeats.

Sharing the joy of reading is so important especially with kids having difficulties like my youngest brother. Those kids aren't going to learn to read by TV phonics programs. Reading Rainbow reminded them why it was worth struggling for.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture