homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » It's all gone quiet (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It's all gone quiet
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 07:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hanging around here for a couple of years now, and I've never seen this until today:

-

But I suppose it has gone now.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 09:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ GrummY ___________________________

____ I even tried to get an ARGUMENT GOING.

____ I guess that everybody has become complacent, TheMoMan shuffles off mumbling to himself.

____ Himself, that should be a Screen Name me thinks.

_________________________ Himself _________________________

____ Me thinks HIMSELF would have been a better Name.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 09:24      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first proper day off in 3 years and there's nothing on the internet :/

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 01, 2009 09:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the cool kids are getting a life...

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5327373/twitter-slammed-by-summer-doldrums

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted August 01, 2009 13:21      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i finally come back to gc, and its dead. :-\

snaggy, you need to come up with a brilliant plan to get the forums active. perhaps a multimillion dollar advertising campaign? [Wink]

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 13:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grum: Ja...I saw the same thing this morning, and felt like making a similar post...but then I went out. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 14:29      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still here; just kind of quiet [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 16:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________________________ HIMSELF ____________________________________

____________________________________ HIMSELF ____________________________________

____ I kind of like that. Oh hi everybody else.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 17:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan

I think that anything you post will always be regarded as coming from TheMoMan HIMSELF because it is hard to imagine that there might be someone else just like you.

Let's hear a big hurrah for TheMoMan HIMSELF [Big Grin]
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 19:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, it was all my fault, I have been away on vacation the past week, away from the 'tubes.

Right, cause I'm good at stimulating conversation in this place [Envy]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted August 01, 2009 21:12      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still around, after almost three years :3

But I'm very used to writing something else than "me too", so I'm quite picky when commenting.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2009 22:32      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey y'all, I tried! but i was ignored... not geeky enough i guess. Oh Well. Back from Carmen's wedding, not tipsy, up early tomorrow to pay my respects to father with family.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 04:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Himself _________________________

____ Sometimes you just hit up against the doldrums, its kind of like being out in the middle of Lake Huron with out enough fuel for the engine to get back to shore and the sails go limp. There you are "dead in the water." At that point you had better have food and water for more than a few hours. An empty holding tank would be nice too.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 08:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go away for a few days (tradies in Casa Del Druid, so I've been internetless since Wednesday) and the whole internet just falls apart. Ok, maybe not the whole internet, but the only part that's worth a pinch of dingo shit.

Sad, really sad.

I blame George Bush. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 11:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Wasn't he a piece of work?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 13:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been posting much because, when I haven't been working, I've been plotting and scheming (but not in a bad way).

At work I've been given a project to develop a certification exam for our support people in other countries. I've also been given the task of finding and implementing a way to store our NIST calibration records in an easy to search fashion. Since we started storing them about ten years ago, we've built up two huge 4' wide horizontal filing cabinets full of paperwork and, unfortunately, corporate policy says we have to keep and be able to search the paper as well as electronic copies [Roll Eyes]

Then, in mid-Septemberm I'm taking a trip to Phoenix, AZ for KoL Con. I'm going to try and go see Grand Canyon while I'm there. There's a nifty looking. albeit somewhat expensive, railroad trip that runs from just outside of Flagstaff to the canyon that I'd like to go on. If anyone has been on the railroad trip and would like to tell me if the scenery is good and it's actually worth $70, I'd love to hear.

I've also been trying to get rid of a lot of my accumulated crap. I've pretty much decided I'm going to finish fixing up the house, then sell it when the market recovers and move to a smaller place. In fact, I have a couple of items that I should list here to see if anyone wants them before I put them on eBay.

And if all that weren't enough, I've decided to begin programming for real again, which is an exercise in re-education at this point. I haven't written anything more than kludgy, one-off utilities since I began my current job almost 11 years ago. To be honest, I still hate (with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, naturally) the patchy layers of crap that make up legacy APIs required to support every "new thing" that's come around in programming since the dawn of computers, but there are a few programs that I want to exist. Unfortunately, nobody else is going to write them unless I pay them and even though I have 3.5 quadrillion dollars*, I can't really afford to pay someone else to do it.

Finally, in addition to all that, I occasionally sleep for a few hours. I wish I could break that habit.

*I'm actually not kidding... I have 35 of the 100 trillion dollar bills from Zimbabwe. They sell for around $1 each on eBay. You too can be a multi-quadrillionaire.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2009 13:30      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I let loose a tsunami of posts last week, so perhaps everyone was so stunned by them they didn't know how to reply. My visits here have remained very sporadic, but I'm not sure why. I'll try to return more often to help abolish that "no new posts" demon. Curse it!!! [Mad]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 04:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ Sydney Is Burning, _______________

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 08:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the woods this weekend. Well, actually, for part of it I was actually underneath the woods, but you know what I mean.

Caving is not for the claustrophobic. But getting very muddy is oddly liberating.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 10:27      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug*
Doldrums.
*shrug*

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 13:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
... getting very muddy is oddly liberating.

I've been telling ladies that about wrestling for years.
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 20:15      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
... getting very muddy is oddly liberating.

I've been telling ladies that about wrestling for years.
Spungo, no unseemly comments directed at nearly-married lab rats allowed!

Wait until she's *actually* married. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 20:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 20:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, she is.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2009 23:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me joins the chorus

I probably need to open an update thread or somethin'...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture