homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » LRO images of Apollo landing sites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LRO images of Apollo landing sites
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 13:16      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case you haven't seen them, here are the initial images from the Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter (which arrived in lunar orbit on June 23rd) showing five of the six Apollo landing sites. NASA expects later pictures to be even higher resolution. Pretty cool to see evidence of the moon landings from this different perspective four decades later.

(Wouldn't it be a kick if later pictures showed evidence of certain equipment being "dragged away". [Eek!] )

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 13:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is the sixth?? stolen??

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted July 20, 2009 14:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tornado went through Nevada a few years ago and tore up the set.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 14:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I showed those pics to my tinfoil-hat-wearing workmate, he denounced them as 'obvious fakes'. [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 14:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Thirteen _____________________

____ Thirteen never landed they did a U-Turn and came back home. "Houston we have a Problem."

____ Forty years ago we were in the ready room watching the NASA feed to the fleet.

____ Sometimes when I look in the mirror I wonder where the kid went.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 15:00      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
where is the sixth?? stolen??

No (at least I hope not [Wink] ). The LRO hadn't yet passed over the Apollo 12 landing site and taken pictures. I'm really looking forward to seeing those pics as Apollo 12 landed (by intent) a couple hundred yards from the unmanned Surveyor 3, launched years earlier. This picture shows astronaut Pete Conrad removing pieces of it for investigation; the lunar module is on a ridge in the background.

(Gad, this stuff brings back such neat memories! Been obsessing about it online all day, and regaling my son, who's visiting from out-of-state, with space program stories. Poor guy... [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2009 15:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm convinced, the moon landings really were faked.
Look at this photo, you can see some of the crew in the background...
 -

Lots more HQ photos from NASA here

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2009 04:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ So I guess that isn't me floating in the raft? _______________________

[IMG] http://www.apolloarchive.com/apg_thumbnail.php?ptr=100&imageID=S68-56217 [/IMG]

____ Here for the last forty years I thought I was in that raft.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2009 18:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<tinfoil-hat>
Those waves don't look right, you can tell that picture was shot in a swimming pool in Nevada.
</tinfoil-hat>

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 22, 2009 00:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the reflection of teh set crew in the water.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2009 11:49      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a beautiful zen garden they're making...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture