homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » First Mac botnet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Mac botnet
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the Dangers of Piracy, remember when the warning came out about pirated versions of iWork 09 containing a trojan?

Apparently some people missed it.

Some Symantec researchers have identified two variants, so far.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 15:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The truly sad thing is the mentality of the basic user mixed in with misconceptions about the Mac.

Average "switcher"/fanboy(girl) is possibly far from tech minded, was enticed by the slick interface and figures on the "it just works" mindset.

So no A/V, no idea on what to look for, and no ability to fix it if somethings happened anyway. So they are out stealing anything they can get their grubby little paws on and installing it since Macs can't get viruses. And here we are. From what I read before, the virus is not really complex or difficult to stop, but if you can't figure out what's going on in the first place, well you are kinda sunk.

I fully expect to see more malicious attacks in the comings years.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 20:16      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess this will come as a bit of a reality check for Mac users that think they are exempt from sensible practices. As it turns out out OSX has it's fair share of security issues and it's been left alone because malware authors are more focuses on the big fat easy target that is windows.

Unfortunately the rising popularity of Macs also makes them a more inviting target and I can only assume the same will happen to Linux if it keeps gaining.

The lesson to be learned here is not to be complacent, you can be got at.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 01:27      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
So they are out stealing anything they can get their grubby little paws on and installing it since Macs can't get viruses.

I was actually a little surprised at "It is estimated that thousands of people have downloaded the infected torrent files." That seems like a pretty small number to me. I wonder how that compares to pirated copies of Word, for instance?

We had a discussion about Mac users, well, Apple users, really, in reference to selling iPhone apps. Maswan pointed out that Mac users are, for the most part, conditioned to pay. They're already paying more for hardware, and they don't expect software upgrades to be free. They don't expect media to be free (iTunes), and I think that's a strike against this kind of distribution system.

Plus, I think that Mac users are easily scared by this kind of thing. For the same reasons you pointed out. They're used to being invulnerable and a lot of them don't know how to deal with it. Of course your average Windows users don't either. They let their virus scanners go un-updated and download willy-nilly, but they're used to picking stuff up and they have their "computer friend" that they go to every so often when the machine becomes so laden with spyware that it's virtually unusable. They're sluts that have become accustomed to regular trips to the clinic to get a shot of penicillin.

quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I fully expect to see more malicious attacks in the comings years.

Oh definitely.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 09:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I was actually a little surprised at "It is estimated that thousands of people have downloaded the infected torrent files." That seems like a pretty small number to me. I wonder how that compares to pirated copies of Word, for instance?

You are definitely right. Tried and true Mac users are conditioned to buy rather than pirate. But as more people consider moving from Windows, I think we are going to see more of that happening.

You will get the ex-Windows users going over to Mac, whinging about how expensive software is for OS X and how they cannot use their old stuff anymore, then piracy will fill the need for a copy of Office, Photoshop, etc.

Right now switchers are still very much a minority of OS X users, so the numbers will stay understandably small.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture