homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 08:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
105 years ago today, Theodore Seuss Geisel was born in Springfield, Massachusetts. Few people have had as much of an affect on my point of view as Dr. Seuss (may he rest in peace).

I first realized how influential his works had been on me in middle school when I was reading The Butter Battle Book (it was new *shrug*) and realized how very directly the subject of the cold war arms race was being presented to children. That got me to thinking about the other Dr. Seuss works that I liked. The Lorax, Horton Hears a Who, Yertle the Turtle, The Sneetches, The Zax, Green Eggs and Ham; all loaded with moral messages and all favorites which I read over and over as a child. It was easy for me to see how much of my view of the world was (and is) based on those stories, which is a little weird, but probably a good thing considering the morals I'd have otherwise inherited from my worthless relatives.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss, and thank you for making both the world and myself better.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 02, 2009 08:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hero!

[Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 10:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly is the moral for Green Eggs and Ham?

Be willing to try new things?
Persistence pays off?
Give in to peer pressure?
If your friends don't like something that you do they're wrong?
If you bother someone long enough you can get them to do anything you want?

I love Dr. Seuss (and can read many of them to Kaitlin without looking at the pages by now) but the message in that one confuses me. I'm pretty sure the first one is what you're supposed to get from it, but the others are just as valid interpretations.

Well, can't sit here discussing this any longer. I've got to go off and read I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today to a preschooler. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 11:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I got "Don't judge things based only on appearance" from Green Eggs and Ham (which, I suppose, is similar or at least complementary to "try new things").

I also learned that large quantities of food dye do interesting things to ... umm ... the results of the digestive process.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 12:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've long suspected that 'Green Eggs and Ham' was one of Spungo's early influences...

quote:

"Would you, could you, with a goat?"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 13:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

I also learned that large quantities of food dye do interesting things to ... umm ... the results of the digestive process.

Silly. If you'd read the cookbook you'd know that you were supposed to put guacamole over the egg yolks and cover the ham with a cilantro and tomatillo crust. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2009 15:58      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lucky to share and birthday with him. Today is also Lou Reed's birthday. But unfortunately, it is also Bon Jovi's birthday! That kind of spoils it... [cry baby]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 02, 2009 16:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's just a perfect day!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture