homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Presidential Friday Five

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Presidential Friday Five
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 13:06      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long time since my last five, but here's one, if you'd like. If you aren't from the US answer with your country's leaders

1. Do you or did you ever want to be president?

2. Which three presidents would you want to eat dinner with? What would you want to talk about?

3. Who is your favourite president ever?

4. What one thing would you most like a leader to do?

5. Have you ever worked to help someone running for office? Why did you do it? How did it make you feel about the process?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 14:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
It's been a long time since my last five, but here's one, if you'd like. If you aren't from the US answer with your country's leaders

Sure, but I can't given that I was born in Canada. I could do the PMs job though.

quote:
2. Which three presidents would you want to eat dinner with? What would you want to talk about?

JFK. Soooooo.....tell me, Jack. Marilyn. Was she a 'goer' *nudge nudge*

Obama. Coz he is gonna change the world.

GBW. So I could watch him choke to death on a pretzel.

quote:
JFK. But I think Obama will quickly eclipse him.

quote:
Well, if I were president the first thing I'd do is two chicks at the same time, man.

-

quote:
5. Have you ever worked to help someone running for office? Why did you do it? How did it make you feel about the process?
I prefer to work against the establishment, writing slanderous letters to the media and on message boards.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 23, 2009 14:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Friday Five returns!

Not of a country. I was prez of student council once, if you can believe that. That was enough.

2. Which three presidents would you want to eat dinner with?
Obama
Lincoln
Kennedy

What would you want to talk about?
-UFO's
-why they go grey so fast.
-Marilyn. [Razz]
Lincoln: what was it like fighting beside Captain Kirk? [Razz]

Obama already.

Have compassion.

Kinda sort of, but no.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 18:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, when I was in college my friends used to joke that I'd be president. Now I'd never attempt it. It is such an ugly game these days. I don't think some of our best presidents could get elected today.

Truman; LBJ; Jefferson. Truman has always intrigued me, but I'd don't know what we'd talk about. LBJ, well the war of course, and what he thought he'd have accomplished without it. Jefferson, I think I'd just listen.

Jimmy Carter. I'm not saying he was the best president, but I have met him and find him to be a very honorable man. I don't think he was enough of a politician to accomplish what he wanted.

Be brave enough to not worry about re-election

I've worked on several campaigns. I worked very hard on the second Carter election, when I was in college. I don't think I have felt as powerful as a voter until this last election. I wish more people would participate in the process. It can really change how you feel and gives you an even bigger voice to gripe later. LOL

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 03:16      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I find politics loathsome. Supreme Court justice is the way to go, anyway; after appointment you don't have to keep up the dog and pony show to keep your job.

Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Roosevelt, and Jimmy Carter. I'd just like the opportunity to converse with them, though I would want to know, from Roosevelt, his thoughts on the decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I've always enjoyed reading about Theodore Roosevelt, and I really admire the precedent he set for conservation of public lands.

Put his or her duties to the people and the state ahead of personal glory, reelection, and nepotism.

No, I'm not much of a joiner.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 03:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not really. But if it would be a way for me to be able to ban parking sensors on cars (they are a mandate for laziness!) and also to force people to take a practical test before they are allowed a SatNav in a vehicle, I would give it a go.

Don't know about presidents...I suppose Obama is going to have a rather tight schedule for the foreseeable future. Tony Benn would be an interesting political figure. And it might be useful to get Jinna and Nehru together and get their views on how partition has worked out.

Obama. He is going to have to screw up really bad in the future to lose the number one spot.

When they get into office claiming a new honest and moral approach to leadership, they should go ahead and prove it by their actions.

No. I write some letters, send some e-mails and faxes now and then, but that is as politically active as I get.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 17:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very good at filling in forms. Like Aditu I too am fascinated by Truman. He had so many impossible choices to make, and equally impossible problems to solve. It was him snakes, that had to decide whether to drop the bomb, he also had the rise of McCarthyism, and the Korean war among many other insoluble problems. Unsurprisingly he became hugely unpopular. Though he could act with decisiveness and force when necessary, he was a man of great personal humility and integrity, who happily disappeared into the anonymity of small town life at the end of his presidency.

As for Obama, if he can fulfil one tenth of his promise, and one hundredth of what we wish for, I personally will be satisfied. Even if he proves to be ineffective, which I doubt, simply to have an American president who is not a religious fundamentalist demagogue, with an administration that accepts reality rather than rolling their own, is such an enormous relief, that I cannot but feel that the world has just walked out from dark into light.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 02:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________ TheMoMan here __

1: Nope, I was a union steward once two terms do not want to sell my soul to the devil again.

2: Truman, Ike, Carter. The mess the country has become.

3: Carter.

4: Be honest.

5: Yup, I thought he would be better than Nixon, I came away feeling the process stank.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 09:07      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
It was him snakes, that had to decide whether to drop the bomb,

I know, but I've always wondered, if Roosevelt hadn't died and it had been up to him, would he have made the same decision.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture