homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Watching the inauguration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Watching the inauguration
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 20, 2009 11:56      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you guys know, Snaggy and I have been glued to the TV watching the goings on in the US with the inauguration. It's pretty awesome. [Applause]
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 16:13      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't do that myself, due to work requirements, but I was able to find a transcript of his speech, and I look forward to watching it later.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 09:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watched it at work in the lunch room. It was pretty wonderful. Then I turned it on at home for DM to watch it in the repeats. I know she's only five, but it's history.

Then I had to rain on her parade. "Yes, mommy says you can be anything you want to be, but not president. You were born in Guatemala." So now she's back to her original choice Princess/Doctor/Ballerina.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 22, 2009 11:10      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
"Yes, mommy says you can be anything you want to be, but not president. You were born in Guatemala."

And WHAT if she wants to be president of Guatemala? After all, if Ingrid Betancourt could run for President of Colombia, surely Dora-Maria can access such a position? What kind of mother are you to tell her such lies just to break her hopes? [Big Grin] [Wink] [crazy]

(Please forgive my crazy humour.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 22, 2009 11:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rant: That born in the USA rule is so stupid. [Roll Eyes]

Aditu: princess is better than prez anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 13:07      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Yes, I mean imagine Ahnold as Prez [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 15:04      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Yes, I mean imagine Ahnold as Prez [Wink] [Big Grin]
Sod that, imagine me as Prez! [Smile]

Day 1: Mandatory Mac & iPhone usage across all government and schools.

Day 2: Geek Culture to be everyone's start page *by law!*

Day 3: cookies [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 15:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I shudder to think of the productivity losses for the people who get forced from their Blackberries to iPhones!
</flame>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 17:07      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Wow...I shudder to think of the productivity losses for the people who get forced from their Blackberries to iPhones!
</flame>

So, which Alaskan weather station would you like to be running when I become Prez then Dragonman? [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2009 19:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
</flame>

So, which Alaskan weather station would you like to be running when I become Prez then Dragonman? [Smile]
Oh, I don't want either one! [Big Grin]

Still, trading a keyboard for a touchscreen is just a huge loss!

Take it from someone who has an iPod Touch! [Razz] (/me hugs a vendor!)
It's a fantastically innovative device, and you can do tons of things with it, but you can't do any one thing *really* well. Web browsing is *incredible* on it, but typing anything on it is just 'so so.' As such, for an /e-mail/ device, it's my opinion that the Blackberry pwns. If it's good enough for Barack Obama, it'd be good enough for me...if I wanted another electronic leash.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 08:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I <3 my Blackberry Curve. It rocks!

I can't see myself wanting to use either the iPhone or even that new touchscreen Blackberry for actual typing.

And no cut and paste, shitty data plans, and the simple horror of trying to tie into Exchange are big deal killers for me.

The iPhone definitely has its place. Just not in the office... yet.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 10:20      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy with my Q Motto

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture