homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Apple pulls out of MacWorld

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple pulls out of MacWorld
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 14:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whaaaaaaaa?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/17/MN8H14PCED.DTL&sn=001&sc=1000

I've been reading through the article and the only reason I can see for them pulling out is that the company is doing well enough without it. The article even suggests that without Apple there Macworld might go away altogether. That would make sense, why go if the main attraction isn't there.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 14:29      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulling out is never an effective strategy.

<coat>

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 17:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ HalfVast I just noticed your rail fan sig. You have got to search on the PM 1225.

www.mstrp.com/1225.html

Never mind searching I did.

This is the steamer that the sound track for The Polar Express was based on, The beast lives in Owosso at the steam railroading institute, it often runs to Grayling for tours and the North Pole Express trips. I worked on the piston rings during the rebuild back in the eighties.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 19:14      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to someone today at work, and she said that Apple was next on the chopping block as far as the economy goes. I thought they were doing great. Has anyone heard anything about that?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 19:48      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like this year has been kind of rough for their stock price at least.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AAAPL

But their operating income looks like it's doing okay, even if cash flows look a little stagnant.

http://idea.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312508156421/d10q.htm

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 17, 2008 20:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some superb commentary about this from...

Jason Snell
http://www.macworld.com/article/137596/2008/12/apple_kills_expo_reax.html

and
Andy Ihnatko
http://www.suntimes.com/business/1336409,ihnatko-apple-macworld-jobs-121708.article

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
I was talking to someone today at work, and she said that Apple was next on the chopping block as far as the economy goes. I thought they were doing great. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Hmm...whereas I know an idiot who said that Apple should buy Dell. I swear, whereas normal humans are made of 70% water, he must be made of 30% water, 40% Apple Kool-aid.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted December 18, 2008 08:42      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard two things about this, rumor wise. First, there aren't any big new products to be introduced this year. Second, Steve is ill again. These are both plausible and sensible.

Careful companies are planning ahead right now, so the first seems likely. They'll save a bunch of money. Can't address the second one, but it does happen more often than not.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 12:06      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall it does make sense. It removes an artificial deadline for
new products and the stores are like continuous keynotes with
associates who try to 'outjobs' Jobs. Really, one opened within 4
miles of my flat. I went in there and it was just creepy how
bright and enthusiastic the employees were...

MoMan: There's a bunch of us meeting at the station in Durand this
Saturday. Depending on the weather we'll stay there and watch things
go by there or head up to Owosso and chase 1225. Seeing as how
were having another 'blizzard of the century' tomorrow there could
be some 'postcard' shots to be had. [Smile]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 18:52      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac should just paint a geek version of Guernica with no text.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 03:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________HalfVast If you know the schedule, get out of town a few miles and listen, as it approaches. Those sounds take me back to when I was seven. The route to Cheshining is West of M-52 until Oakley then it goes into Michigan Bean downtown. If it is going to Grayling it starts from KawKalin and runs East of I-75 and West of M-13 until West Branch.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 19, 2008 07:59      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's Steve Jobs's way of bitch slapping everybody to get a life. [Razz]
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 08:13      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something guarranteed to cheer you up! I lol-ed through the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUL0KCIc48&eurl=http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/&feature=player_embedded

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture