homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Possibly the coolest bookshelf I've ever seen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possibly the coolest bookshelf I've ever seen
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 19:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REK bookcase by Reinier de Jong

I can't find anything that would give an availability or a price, but I'm sure it would be ridiculously expensive anyway.

Time to brush up on my woodworking skills!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 20:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool.
Want one.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
I'm sure it would be ridiculously expensive

Nah, they'll be in next years IKEA catalogue for $79.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 02:15      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to have one.. But, if I got one from Ikea I'd end up with a bunch of parts left over [ohwell]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
deathweaver
Geek Larva
Member # 24253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 13:24      Profile for deathweaver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a really nice bookshelf, but all I have any more is computer books... That's not a bad thing, but with a shelf like that, would need more classic novels to round it out.
Posts: 24 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2008 12:20      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found my bookshelf beside a dumpster. Now that's cool! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2008 15:34      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would cost a fortune. Think of the volume of lumber in that. It's basically a solid block of wood 12"x24"x6' Very cool though.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 02:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ TheMoMan here. I was not worried about the price, as it could be all particle board and laminate. My concern is once it is put into a box who could carry that much wood 12 cubic feet at about 30/40 lbs/' Snaggy got any 16 dia. logs six feet long would you weigh one. That would put most mens gonads in their shoes.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 07:43      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design is geeky cool - but I think the aesthetics are ugly. I'd rather see a whole pile of barrister bookcases, or better yet a set of built in floor to ceiling shelves (done in cherry or walnut preferably) complete with a rolling ladder.

Now - if you want to build one just like the picture - I'm going to guess by eyeball that the thickness of each part is about 2.5 inches. When pushed together there are 33 thicknesses so at 2.5" thick you end up with not quite 7' high. (6' 10.5") About 7' high is about right - maybe a bit tall.

MoMan is right - something like that made of solid MDF would be a heavy beast to move. Hmmm - 6'10.5" high by 12" deep by 20" wide => 19800 cu inches. MDF is 0.022 to 0.029 lbs / in^3 so it would weigh about 500 lbs.

Now if I were to build it - I would not use solid MDF. I would probably make it using a torsion box method. That is using thin - say 1/4" material as the top and bottom with a grid of pieces in between the top and bottom. Using solid wood or plywood would also help a lot with the weight. Plywood for the grid is probably best because it won't expand/contract as much with humidity changes.

Uggh - I love to play with ideas of how to build something - but I just can't go any further for this ugly thing.

For a real set of library shelves - see the pictures of Jay Walker's library.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 08:54      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps there's a way to separate the parts to make it easier to move.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 08, 2008 09:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see this Infinity bookshelf?

[crazy]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 09:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do you have to crawl over the top to get the books on the inside or is there a passage I'm not seeing?

I wonder if you could do a Mobius strip bookcase?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2008 11:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Xanthine __ and have it retrive the books ala Dry Cleaners rack.

At the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago the used to have a slot car on a mobius, not sure how they made it stay on.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 08, 2008 12:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
The design is geeky cool - but I think the aesthetics are ugly. I'd rather see a whole pile of barrister bookcases, or better yet a set of built in floor to ceiling shelves (done in cherry or walnut preferably) complete with a rolling ladder.

It seems we have similar tastes when it comes to bookcases. If I ever get my house built, I'll have a library, with a wall-shelvings all around, except for the windows. Then again, maybe some shelves under the windows, with cusions so they can be used as seats. Can you imagine? A snow storm at night, the wind roaring outside, and being inside, reading a good book with a soft light and a warm throw? Paradise!

(And then, there would be a music room at the lower floor, and a spiral staircase between the two... or not. Music is a great addition to a good book, but scales can be annoying.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2008 06:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is cool. Must admit I have always wanted a rolling library ladder.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2008 08:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Xanthine __ TheMoMan here __ I see from the drawing that I could send the grand son under the crossover to the inside. However in a few years even he would not fit, I guess it is more for show than use.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture