homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » In this economy... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In this economy...
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 13:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, past the initial stun factor, I must say it actually is in line with what you've been saying for awhile, so if it seems like a 'true calling,' good for you. [Smile]

(And hey, if you do that, you don't have to worry about money -- isn't that fantastic?! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9198 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 15:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
BTW, past the initial stun factor, I must say it actually is in line with what you've been saying for awhile, so if it seems like a 'true calling,' good for you. [Smile]

(And hey, if you do that, you don't have to worry about money -- isn't that fantastic?! [Big Grin] )

[Eek!] [Eek!]

"it actually is in line with what you've been saying for awhile" seems to be your way of saying you think I'd make a good priest. I have to admit that when the oft-cynical dragon says something like that, there must be some bearing to it. [Big Grin]

neotatsu said: As I said.. Money doesn't buy happiness.

Amen, brotha'! I've never, EVER, in my life wanted to be rich; I just want to be happy.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 16:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...maybe...but you would have to be a /bit/ less chilled out. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9198 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 19:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God made weed.
Man made beer.
Who do you trust more to get it right? [Wink]

Tonight, after choir practice, I went up and stood *behind* the altar (don't tell anyone..). I tried to imagine a congregation sitting in the pews, and it didn't take much for my mind's eye to see them clearly.

Becoming a priest would be so much easier if I didn't have to give up all those fun, pleasurable sins that I enjoy so much... [evil]

Nothing easy is worth doing, though, I guess...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 19:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God made AIDS, smallpox and bubonic plague too.

I'll stick with the beer. [Big Grin]

Or water, really, since I don't actually drink... and no turning it into wine while my back is turned. I'm lookin' at you, Jesus.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6362 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 00:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Nothing easy is worth doing, though, I guess...

Truer words hath never been spoken.

If this is an idea that's recurred since you were 8, it's probably worth paying it some heed. Clearly, you enjoy the work. The priest who suggested the priesthood to you saw it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 01:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm just chiming in the with the chorus at this point, MMKK, but I do think it sounds as if the Music Director position is the way to go. Sometimes you just need the chance to explain your rationale in order to understand that your decision is already made.

With regards to entering the priesthood, perhaps taking over the Music Directorship would allow you some time to decide whether or not this is the right course for you. I think now that the seed of the idea has been watered a little, it still needs time to grow... such a big life change is probably something I would take months, if not years, to mull over.

Whatever you decide, I think you have the commitment and zest to excel in any position. Good luck, and keep us posted [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 02:23      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know for a fact I agree with you completely MMK... But, Grumpy makes a dern good point.

God also made ex's -_- [thumbsdown]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 08:47      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's done.

I just (literally 90 seconds ago) told Mike (the tech director at the school) that I am declining his offer for full-time employment. All that's left is to tell Fr. Phil that I'm his new music director. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 10:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

You haven't taken the option I favoured, but then this whole thing has to be about what suits you best, irrespective of any/all advice proffered.

You will probably have fewer dollars in the bank, but more peace in your heart, and it's a wise man who can tell which is the real treasure.

Now - go and make them people sing like they've never sung before! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 21:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he said ^^

Oh...and get that bloody piece of paper!

With any luck, perhaps Obama will get a move on with health insurance!
(These days, I'm pretty leery of jobs that don't give benefits. :/ There's no way in hell I would take one...but I have a few friends who are considering them. It's not as though I'm unhealthy...but life can through surprises at you, and it's awfully good to be prepared for them.)

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 23:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good lord. If all a degree is to you is a "bloody piece of paper" frankly it's not worth your time to pursue it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 03:40      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAY! Macky!!! Way to Go!!! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 09:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Oh good lord. If all a degree is to you is a "bloody piece of paper" frankly it's not worth your time to pursue it.

Sorry, I was a tad too brief in my sentiments. :/

Still... as the end nears, it's more about the paper, as you've hopefully already gotten something out of your education. (That is, one can learn plenty, but it's not exactly seen by others until 'that piece of paper' is held.)

Furthermore, if he has a lot more free time due to this job, education would be the fine way to go, especially if he changes his mind down the road. After all, I believe a core motivation for this job was the ability to study simultaneously.

--------------------

deathweaver
Geek Larva
Member # 24253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 10:09      Profile for deathweaver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...but life can through surprises at you, and it's awfully good to be prepared for them.) [/QB]
Truer words never spoken. I'm pretty healthy, but a car accident 8 months ago still has my neck messed up. I'd seriously consider a position with no benefits if the job was really worth it. Fortunately, working in for a bunch of doctor's really helps in that regard. [Wink]
Posts: 24 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 12:59      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there mmkk sorry im late to the party, again.

So when you get ordained and are doing the priestly thing, are you gonna be GC's resident padre? OOOhh, Snaggy will have to open a new permanent area for you for confession and such.

oh yeah, and the jokes, dont forget the jokes

A priest, a Rabbi and an athiest walk into a bar.......

hehehhe

Good luck to you

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 14:49      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've always kind of had an inkling of becoming a priest, from the time I was 8 years old. I recall other people telling me that they thought I should think about the priesthood. And it seems that every few years this inkling comes back and I successfully beat it down for another year or so. Just more food for thought...
... and a bit more brain food for ya' MMKK, via a question or two:

How do you feel about young boys? -and-

How are you gonna feel when lots of folks, including family and friends, assume that's why you're getting into the priesthood - to practice pedophilia.

Someone's gotta ask the tough questions, ya' know.

[Confused]

gg

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 14:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF?!

While I must confess the opportunity for a depraved joke entered my mind, I just can't fathom that anyone would actually make such an assumption in any real capacity.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 15:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you don't know any priests, Dman.

As an active, practicing Catholic, I know what I go through as a parishioner everytime this topic hits the news. My priest friends tell me it is incredibly worse for them - people assume the absolute worst possible about them merely because they are priests.

If MMKK can not deal with the question(s) now that will become part of his daily life he enters the priesthood - he's in for a really bad life.

Sorry if my earlier post seemed too frivolous. To me this matter is anything but that.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 15:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just silly, everyone knows that real paedophiles join the scouting movement.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10435 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2008 12:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ TheMoMan Here __ While this may be a laughing matter to outsiders. So far only the Priests seem to being caught, there is the scandle with the Mormons, (LDS) and I am sure many other religions are probably involved. Any one in an position of power can be seduced by that power. MMKK I hope you can with stand the pressure.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5427 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.