homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Free software and junk food

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free software and junk food
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2008 13:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in July, Codeweavers came up with the Lame Duck Presidential Challenge which basically said they would give away a free copy of Crossover if any of five challeges were met. It took the destruction of the US economy and a mass panic by futures traders selling off everything in order to make margin calls, but gas prices dropped low enough to do the trick. If you stop by their website on the 28th, you can get a code for the free software.

Taco Bell will also give you a free taco on the 28th because someone stole a base during the World Series. I honestly wasn't aware that the World Series was going on at the moment, but hey... free taco-like substance!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2008 13:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers for the info. Crossover Plugin was one of the two† pieces of software I have ever bought for Linux. Back in the day, the ability to easily play QuickTime on Linux was pretty tricky, and nearly impossible to do inside a browser window...but they did it and did it well. I look forward to picking up a copy of CrossOver for Mac tomorrow.

† The other was VMware, which still continues to be absolutely incredible. This time around, I got my employer to buy me a copy, though. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2008 16:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bump*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted October 28, 2008 17:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saved my copy of CrossOver, for when I get my PC done with Ubuntu [Big Grin] I've found Wine doing a great job on some little Windows applications I use, so I believe CrossOver will do awesomely.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2008 05:48      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got my copy - just waiting for my activation e-mail.

As it happens, I don't think I need it for any of the supported applications, but there are a couple of unsupported apps I want to try. Even if i can't make use of it now, free stuff is good - yes? [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2008 08:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free stuff is almost always good. Even free taco bell tacos are good... for very small values of "good"

(and yes, I did go get a free taco, but mostly because my lunch got delayed until 3pm and I thought "why not")

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture