homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Yearly mens PSA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yearly mens PSA
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 17:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________Hi All

A year and a half ago I wrote about having a biopsy of the Prostate
done because of an elevated PSA score. Well this years Biopsy report was not
such good news. Of twelve samples taken one showed positive for Prostate
Cancer, so I have a PSA of 6.5 and a Gleason score of 6+. Next week
begins the CAT Scans and Bone scans, then some time in January. I have to
make a decision on what treatment to have. A: Fillet me like a fish and
take out the prostate. B: Lapro-Scopic Robotic removal. C: Gamma Knife
Radiation. D: Radioactive pellets injected into the prostate. I don't
know how they get them back out. E: Hormone Therapy, I would get
injected with female hormones to put the Cancer into remission. Side effects are Hot Flashes.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 17:52      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear about the problem, Mo-Man. Very sad news to me.

I think the DaVinci is a lot less invasive than the knife -- it means a lot less nerve damage.

I've known some folks who have had it worse. I think they underwent radio therapy. Less chance of nerve damage, I think. You could have worse scores. So it sounds like you caught it early.

One of my bicycle training partners has a Uro office. I also know the guy who runs the DaVinci.

My prayers are with you.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 18:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. That's awful.

If the surgeon can get you clean margins, go for it. Get the evil fsckers out. Radiation and drugs can make you sick as a dog but still miss their mark. But if you're at an early stage and they can just take it all and send you on your merry way, go for it. Laparoscopy is going to be a faster recovery so consider it hard.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 19:16      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, my father went though this about 4 years back. He ended up with the pellet treatment
and to this day things are clean and green. They stay in, the isotope used has a short half-life
and Dad says he wouldn't know they were there now if it wasn't for the fact he saw the x-rays.

The good news is there are lots of options that actually work now. Hope this helps somewhat.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 19:18      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am sure that in a few months we will be hearing a post on the "Good News" forums. Everything is going to be fine!!! I will be thinking of you!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 19:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's any comfort†, the statistics for prostate cancer are pretty good.

Of the options you list, being filleted like a fish doesn't appeal, laparoscopic surgery is much easier on the patient. Lots of operations that used to have weeks/months recovery times are now done as day procedures via the magic laparoscope. I'm a big fan.

† - and I expect it won't be, I wasn't in the mood to believe reassuring statistics a few years ago when I had my own cancer scare. Not all statistics are lies.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 22:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that. My dad went through it around age 59 or 60, he went with the radioactive pellets. You have to pee into a fine mesh strainer to catch any that pass through if I recall correctly as to what he explained to me. I will need to get checked soon myself (I'm 42).

My dad is doing great BTW and is now 66.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 09:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Hi All __

____ Some more details, During my stint in the Navy I was sent to OR Technician School. So I know too much about what goes on in an OR. I never was stationed where my education in OR technique's was of any value to the Navy but I held the classification. Full Laporotomy allows the surgeon to see much more of the site and does not inhibit his movements, that said if things go to sh$t there is no need to open up the patient they already are in there.

____ Button hole surgery is appealing because of less damage to the abdominal muscles (you would not believe how far they are stretched during surgery) and quicker healing times.

___ Choices C-E the problem can return and have to be dealt with later.

Linky, Linky

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/prostate

___ So as Xan. Said, I am of the mind to have the damn thing taken out, be done with it, maybe some chemo and/or glow-in-the dark to make sure.

___ Surgery does scare me because I know what is going to be done and how crowded the pelvic area is, to work in. One process, the Surgeon goes in from between the anus and the scrotum to get at the prostate, that is the closest point but I am not sure I could sit down after that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 11:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan : so sorry to hear this. damn.

I wish you all the best in treatment and in recovery. [thumbsup]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 11:47      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father went through this not too long ago. He did chemo and radiation treatments and has been in remission for over a year now. You are one tough fellow MoMan; I am sure you can beat it.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 12:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a friend of mine had the surgury done about two years ago. And the stress and fear he was experiencing before make me feel for you. It is no easy deal, no matter how you look at it.

As the good Doctor above me said. You are a tough guy and I think you will make it through this.

And that friend of mine did have the surgury, he didn't have the other options available to him (He had gone too long to make it an easy deal). And he was pretty well hobbling around for a while. But after he healed, he was back to working on ladders and running his jobs like he had before all of it happened.

Good thoughts are going your way MoMan.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 14:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear your news MoMan.

I hope everything works out ok, and remember - as we say round here..... "It's the creaking gates that hang the longest".
I'll look forward to the 'good news' post.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 15:09      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that MoMan, and I'm with everyone else on the waiting for the "Good News" post.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 17:53      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts are with you, MoMan.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2008 03:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Well, Hi All __ Being the info hound that I am, here are some more surprising facts. Women are the fastest growing group for Throat Cancer. Non Smoking women! Upon exam. it appears that Nonsmoking Throat Cancer may be caused by the HPV strain that is usually associated with Cervical Cancer.

I am not inferring that Gardasil would help in this, and that because this is a slow starting cancer. Long time from infection with the virus until the cancer develops.

So how do I politely say "Make sure your mans little guy is totally clean or in a raincoat or it is still not safe sex." Jeez one more thing for grandpa to worry about when looking at the grand-kids.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture