homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Wowser!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wowser!!!!
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 11:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause]

They are just too fsckin lovely !!! [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 12:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSA agent: I'm sorry, but our X-Ray machine cannot scan your laptop for some reason. We're kind of curious just what you're hiding so if you'll just go with Bob here...

*TSA agent directs you toward a large unfriendly-looking man wearing latex exam gloves*

All kidding aside, it does look all purty and stuff. Hopefully it won't be affected by the Nvidia chip problems.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 12:33      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<me looks around for things to sell for cash>

Very nice, decent spec but, but....

I want a tablet! [cry baby]

Oooh wait. A kilobuck for a 2.1 ghz core duo.

I wonder how much I can get for my 12 inch G3 600 mhz? [crazy]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 13:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*droolz*

Sadly, I have a strict rule about making computers last 5 years, so it'll have to wait.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 13:48      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 13:51      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was drooling too until I saw the prices; and the gouging.

$1300 for a shockingly pretty but decidedly middle of the road laptop

Lets put in 2x1GB ram to save us $10, so you have to pay us $150 if you want an extra 2GB, rather than $90 for a single 2GB stick

Lets fit a display port rather than DVI and charge you $30 for an adaptor.

And $20 for a remote control we used to chuck in the box for free.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 14:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes DVI complait here.... BUT!.... Y'all dun hav to service it.... i am dreading the day i have to fix em. Service manual not here yet.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 18:03      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
TSA agent: I'm sorry, but our X-Ray machine cannot scan your laptop for some reason. We're kind of curious just what you're hiding so if you'll just go with Bob here...

*TSA agent directs you toward a large unfriendly-looking man wearing latex exam gloves*

You know, Steen, there are a few posters in this forum who would pay a premium for the laptop just to get that treatment.

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 19:11      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's shiny!!! Have I mentioned I LOVE shiny???

Let me wipe up the drool now!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 21:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Firewire?!!?!!!?!!

/me hugs his MacBook

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2008 23:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
No Firewire?!!?!!!?!!

/me hugs his MacBook

oooh errr... I hadn't noticed that! [Frown] It seems that Firewire is now a Pro feature only. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 20:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't take long for someone to crack one open and take photos

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2008 20:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
It didn't take long for someone to crack one open and take photos

Oh-oh.

quote:
From TFA:
That screen isn't just glossy, it's a mirror!

/me really, really hates glossy screens! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2008 19:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
No Firewire?!!?!!!?!!

/me hugs his MacBook

oooh errr... I hadn't noticed that! [Frown] It seems that Firewire is now a Pro feature only. [ohwell]
That's Firewire 800, BTW.

I think this is a pretty bad thing for people like me who love the phenomenal backup system that is SuperDuper. AFAIK, the 'boot your entire system off an external volume' setup doesn't work terribly well, if at all, with USB 2.0.

It's also really bad for people like me who make a killing at times† doing live video streaming using QTSS...as video stuff is all FW400. Mac laptops have been spectacularly good at doing all the stuff - you just plug a FW camera (or clamshell) in, fire up QT Broadcaster, and you're good to go. What now?‡

† Albeit, for pretty /short/ times, as the whole process goes so smoothly. [Razz]

‡ Well - cursory research (read: Googled "fw400 800 converter") reveals that FW400 devices can be used with FW800 ports by using a converter cable. This still leaves MacBook users in the lurch -- and it is of course, another petty additional cost, as per Allan's comments.

P.S. Gaaaaaah...another thought occurred to me - this is the beginning of the end of Firewire Target Mode! My cursory research reminded me of the 'clever' thing I did earlier this year when I booted my ailing Mini in target Mode while plugged into the extra port on my FW HD, which was plugged into my MacBook, and I then used SuperDuper on my MacBook to clone the Mini's HD to a partition on my FW drive. Personally, I though it was pretty damn cool that I could do that, and a definite plus to Apple design.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2008 09:30      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman – Have you taken a look at Carbon Copy Cloner or Déjà Vu? Both will allow you to create full clones over the network or to external (non-FW drives). I believe Déjà Vu will also allow you to create bootable clones over a network. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Carbon Copy Cloner also allows you to make a bootable clone over the network as long as it's not to a network share.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2008 17:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
dman – Have you taken a look at Carbon Copy Cloner or Déjà Vu? Both will allow you to create full clones over the network or to external (non-FW drives). I believe Déjà Vu will also allow you to create bootable clones over a network. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Carbon Copy Cloner also allows you to make a bootable clone over the network as long as it's not to a network share.

It's horribly petty, but I won't touch CCC because an utter piece of garbage that I know recommends it. A colleague of mine recommends SuperDuper, and I'm quite pleased with it. (CCC is probably fine or fantastic, but I just won't give the schmuck the satisfaction.)

I've read that SuperDuper can clone to USB and that it's bootable on Intel...but that still leaves me nonplussed about what feels like a loss. My MyBook has three interfaces (USB2.0, Firewire 400 [two ports, per above], and eSATA), so this won't really affect me in a bad way).

However, I do see it as a loss for people just starting to get into multimedia who don't want to pony up the dough for an MBP, but want to use the nifty FW tools out there. Cheap consumer crap may be USB 2.0, but a lot of good gear has FW400 on it - so I could easily see students getting hit by this.

I'd be interested to know if Apple has a suitable replacement for Firewire Target Mode, as it's an awfully handy thing. (I suppose you could just boot the computer to Knoppix and share the drive out. [Wink] )

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture