homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Tubes!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tubes!
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 17:17      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why buy them and search high and low when you can roll your own?

17 Minute video but worth it for a hardware geek like me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 18:50      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast... Ok, ok, I will admit to the video being cool, but the music....Cover your ears folks, it is torture, extreme torture of the worst kind!!! [Eek!] Others need to be warned!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 19:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I clearly need to rip the music and make an MP3 to play back in the car...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2008 14:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen - sorry to disappoint, but I don't get any torture-music from watching the first two minutes of this clip (I didn't stick with it any further because, whilst it looks like an interesting video in its own right, it won't help me in any of my situations).

The annoying thing is that I know that I know that music, but I can't quite pin it down! [Mad]

Anyway, even if I never recall exactly what the music is, I like it. [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2008 20:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say the music was bad or that I didn't like it.

I owe geekygoddess a lunch (lost a bet) and think that'd be some good music to have on hand to play in the car when the time comes. [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2008 19:16      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I didn't say the music was bad or that I didn't like it.

I owe geekygoddess a lunch (lost a bet) and think that'd be some good music to have on hand to play in the car when the time comes. [evil]

What? I missed 'Win A Date With geekygoddess'? when did that happen?
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2008 20:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't "win a date" it was "lose a bet and have to buy lunch."

There's a slight difference.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2008 21:44      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but if you go bowling after lunch, what's that called?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2008 21:52      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Yeah, but if you go bowling after lunch, what's that called?

A nooner. [evil]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 04:00      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] I just love how almost any topic around here can eventually turn into a "bowling" thread. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 07:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Ah TUBES and Tube amplifiers. For audio there is no finer amp than a well designed tube unit, it would be a 100 times better than the best Solid State, until you pay the utility bill.

For Ham Radio Tube finals are much more forgiving than their Solid State counterparts. So if I forget to retune the antenna coupler as I change bands the tubes will take it and not be destroyed, I have however, taken out several Solid State finals due to mismatch of antennas and or tuning errors. For stumble bums like my self an automatic tuner is almost required for using Solid State on the Ham bands. That is one reason I really like my TS-820S as it uses tubes for finals and the rest is Solid State, and yes I have made band changes with out retuning and it takes it. The difference between 7.07 Mhz and 14.07Mhz is not enough to have to retune is that ever sweet, however when at a friends QTH I have to wait until his antenna tuner picks up the difference, bummer.

Yes Tubes Rock.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 20:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it would be obvious...

I don't bowl [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture