homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Sad news for music fans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad news for music fans
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 13 posted September 15, 2008 10:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe he's looking down over the tranquil Grantchester Meadows once again. [Frown]

Sad news, indeed.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 15, 2008 11:42      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that. A complete and utter bummer. Seriously, Floyd is my favorite band, and now there really seems to be absolutely no possibility to ever see them play live, ever again.

I saw them live in '94, and what an amazing show. Now, at the time I was more Bill Gates than Steve Jobs, but I vowed that if they ever played again I might have to rev up my Steve Jobs just for the show. Looks like that won't be happening.

Totally, utterly sad.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 14:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad indeed.

"I am not frightened of dying,
any time will do, I don't mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it,
you've gotta go sometime."

-- The great gig in the sky - R Wright.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 18:58      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh, that is so sad!!!

I lost something very special to me to a Pink Floyd song. [Wink]

They will be forever in my memory because of that [Big Grin]

Rock on my friend!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 22:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess wrote:

Knowing you, you're probably talking about your first iPod. [crazy]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2008 12:49      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Ahhh, that is so sad!!!

I know what you mean. I lost a really nice ring once when I was tripping on 4-way Window Pane...
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 10:52      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught that after the fact... first Syd, now Wright. Wow. Didn't he write the amazing "Remember A Day?" One of my favorite non-Piper Floyd songs.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 12:24      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least he apparently didn't suffer through a long illness.

So, goddess, if you aren't going to tell us what you lost, will you at least tell us which song? C'mon, nosy minds want to know! ;-)

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 12:56      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh!

It was "Shine on you crazy diamond" I think it was from the "Wish you were here" album... Let me just say that is a longggggggggg song. Just sayin'. If I go into any more detail, this post will have to change topics... [blush]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 13:09      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ugh!

It was "Shine on you crazy diamond" I think it was from the "Wish you were here" album... Let me just say that is a longggggggggg song. Just sayin'. If I go into any more detail, this post will have to change topics... [blush]

You think???? Okay, you've insulted me. That happens to be my favorite album. And "Wish You Were Here" is my favorite song. (But, I must admit, I do tend to listen to The Final Cut more.)

Now, here's a good question for you, which part of Shine On … were you at when you were fully done losing that something special? Hey, you did say it's a loooooooooooong song, which it is. Although, as it's 9-parts, it's more akin to, say, Vivaldi's Four Seasons than just a mere song.

Oh, if you need help identifying which part of the song, Wiki's got a good guess attempt at delineating where each part begins and ends. Shine On You Crazy Diamond

quote:
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
[crazy] [Applause] [crazy] [Applause]

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 14:41      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Geekygoddess wrote:
Let me just say that is a longggggggggg song.

Well thank goodness it wasn't all over in the time it took say "Stop" too play. Er... Not that I know
anyone that happened too, just sayin'...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 15:18      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ugh!

I think I'd like to hear more of that story.
I think my favorite Wright song would be Summer '68, which I am listening to now, and I'll make my ringtone that as well.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 16:35      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to hear more of that story as well. I think it's time for a threadjack.

I'm also curious how many Gs would describe the longgggg-ness of some of the tracks on Animals... Though I guess I've never added up the combined duration of all the diamond bits.

But mostly I want to hear more about this mysterious loss. [evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2008 18:27      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You silly guys... I don't kiss and tell. But I will say that the best part of the whole experience was that song!!! Oh, and the Maddog 20/20 [Smile]

--------------------

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 10:03      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh – The entirety of "Shine On …" closes in on the 30 minute range. According to iTunes Parts I-V clock in at 13:32 and parts VI-IX come in at 12:29. So, looks like a total of 26:01.

It appears, fellas, that geekygoddess' admittance of alcohol use would, in all likelihood, indicate that her activity did not utilize the entire time allotted by either the song or album (which comes in at 44:15). But, nothing that is good ever lasts as long as we would like or hope.

I do hope, geekygoddess, things have improved for you since then.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 13:04      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweets... My bowling score has improved tremendously over the years, with of course the exception of the lanes being closed for almost a year, but things are looking up these days. That is all I have to say about that. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 19:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, so the valuable thing you lost was your sobriety? Darn, that's not very exciting after all ;-)

And tweety, thanks for the research. But while twenty-six minutes easily trumps the length of Dogs, I submit that we can only consider one half of the "Shine On ..." set in this question. After all, gg said the deed was done (ahem) during the song, not the album, and there are three other tracks sandwiched in the middle.

So, uh, yeah, about that bowling. Bowling is fun.

--------------------
Ugh!

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 20:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering it was MD 20-20 maybe she lost part of her liver...
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture