homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Google Chrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google Chrome
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 01, 2008 09:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google's browser...

oooo shiny, maybe. [Smile]

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-09-01-n47.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 13:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks cool, but does it run Greasemonkey scripts?.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 01, 2008 15:41      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Looks cool, but does it run Greasemonkey scripts?.

Greasemonkey scripts are nothing more than User Javascript implementations, so I guess they will.
Pretty impressive and modular project. I fear resource consumption a bit for single core systems, but I guess it's a forward thinking move.

UPDATE: Hmm, Opera anyone? http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/21 Well, it's time for the Opera devs to get on the Open Source wagon before it's too late.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 19:24      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More info here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

We just got the mail saying it was announced on the public blog. Until the official press release, I could say more, but I'ld have to kill you.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 03:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Hi Y'all __ I some times think Google knows too much about Internet net users and their habits. They seem to be too big brother-ish for me. I try to use other search engines as Google always seems to take me to commercial sites with something to sell not the info I really wanted.

___ As in my prior posts I must have found every battery vendor in the world, but not the info that I wanted.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 06:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
As in my prior posts I must have found every battery vendor in the world, but not the info that I wanted.

Searching on Google is like talking to your wife, you have to know just the right way to ask the question if you want to get any useful information. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 09:22      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan and TFD – Funny, the Mrs and I find that Google is great if you're looking for hard core info and Yahoo! is good if you're looking to shop. But, I'm probably a piss-poor Google user as I usually ignore all the ads.

But, I do have to agree in general, TFD, you do need to know how to ask just the right question in just the right way with any search engine.

Then again, YMMV.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted September 03, 2008 10:42      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, so far as I can tell Chrome is for (ugh) Windows and they are promising OSX/Linux versions "real soon now."

So despite all the nifty tech talk this is merely another move in the Google/Microsoft war, and I'm bored.

Wake me up when I can have something useful.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 02:20      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and it's buggy: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/09/03/google-chrome-out-for-one-day-already-reasons-to-avoid

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 02:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect it is buggy davor, (though the link you gave refers to a security vulnerability, and EULA terms which have since been altered), after all this is the initial release of a beta of new software, and I am very happy for Windows users to iron out its kinks before we get it.

But you miss the point. This is a revolutionary browser. Google are not trying to build another Firefox, their focus is different. They are trying to build a platform for present and future web apps, a sort of cross platform web OS. I'll be fascinated to see how it turns out. Check out John Siracusa's take on this.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 06:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I quite like it. As far as I'm concerned, it positively blows Safari out of the water, but then...I've never been quiet with my opinion of Safari. It's just very snappy. Heck, I basically came back to Firefox to visit this (GM, FTW!)... I decided to give it a solid go, and it's not sufficiently horrible to chase me away. The clean UI and super-fast UI response is quite a pleasant experience. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go uninstall Safari...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 04, 2008 07:06      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a 0.2 version I'm quite impressed, though most of the niceties are under the hood.
It does its job and does it well, I'm looking forward how it's improving over time.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 20:37      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Chrome. The interface gets a little getting used to (I wasn't thinking and accidentally closed Chrome instead of clicking on the nearby tab's close button, for example), but since I know why they did it that's all right. On the other hand, it's got Vista's window gadgets on my XP box...

Each tab being a separate process seems to be just a nicer way of handling the previous state of affairs before tabs were introduced (I remember when Opera used Windows' MDI- zoinks!). You might have had separate processes before, but the machines were much lower-spec back then and going to a single process with multiple tabs was a performance win at the tradeoff of reliability. Your multiple browser processes had separate windows and they could get separated by other running apps. Chrome revisits this state but makes it seamless and easy.

I don't like that Google hid the installer from non-Windows browsers. We have web filter software at work that won't let me get the installer from the net, but I wanted to download it at home on my Linux box and then take the installer into work with me. Also, it seems to be a two-part job, so I don't know if that would have worked anyway. As it was, I had to bring my laptop home to fix iTunes (different problem!). [Wink]

I've gotten used to surfing with Firefox and NoScript and Adblock, so seeing ads again was a bit of a shock. There are several web sites like my online banking that I don't bother to block anything on because they haven't got anything to block or the ads aren't obtrusive (Gmail, for instance). I can see using Chrome for these and FF for the wilder web. Backwards? Chrome may be more secure but FF + NoScript + AdBlock is less annoying. [Roll Eyes]

Speedwise, it seems to pip FF3 browsing my Gmail, but FF3 is so much faster than FF2 and still "fast enough". I think the extra speed will be more noticeable on my old Linux box at home, where I aged out of the target demographic waiting for Facebook's site to render on FF2.

I will probably give Chromium a shot now on my Windows laptop. I read it's unbranded and I might be able to get to the downloads from work. I also imagine the forthcoming Linux version of Chromium has the best chance of becoming a Debian package.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture