homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Mc Cain picks running mate (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mc Cain picks running mate
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 09:58      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080829/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_veepstakes

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin....and of course, it's a woman, and of course, she's young and pretty, and of course, she has a son in Iraq, and of course, she has a Down Syndrome baby.....could it be any more predictable and contrived?

**ducks**

The Dems are screwed

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 10:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn, I was hoping Obama would take Alaska. [Mad]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 11:09      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with snupy, the Dems are screwed, but for more reasons than McCain's VP pick. The biggest issue the Obama campaign has is that it's all about brand image. Who gives a s**t?! I want issues and answers and strategy. All I'm getting out of Obama at this point is #1 Best Sellers and a lot of pretty rhetoric.

There's been much discussion here on this, and for as much as I wanted a Dem in the White House, I may ultimately vote McCain only because he seems to weigh issues and choose carefully. His actions are speaking a lot louder than Obama's words at this point.

I think Hillary called it right, come Nov. there will be a lot of buyer's remorse on the part of Democrats.

</grumbling-because-he-really-wants-a-Democrat-in-the-White-House-but-thinks-McCain-will-win>

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 13:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

damn, I was hoping Obama would take Alaska. [Mad]

Alaska is like Texas but with more oil and redder necks.

Palin has zero experience. 1 years a guv'ner and sat on city council in Wasilla (pop: 8,000).

McCain will win (thanks to Diebold) and die in the first year of his term, Palin takes over. Did I mention she is pro-life, anti gay and in favor drilling in ANWR.

This ticket is POW-WOW 08 (get it?)

Anyway, Palin is one how VPILF

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 14:01      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
[QUOTE]
Did I mention she is pro-life, anti gay and in favor drilling in ANWR.

You forgot gun-totin' member of the NRA.

quote:
Anyway, Palin is one how VPILF

She's so hot you couldn't even type "hot"!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 15:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard she's an Al-Qaeda sleeper agent, and the anti-christ, and Paris Hilton in disguise, and someone she knows once said something bad, and....,

Let the swift-boating begin!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 23:22      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She doesn't care about environments either. She just wants to get oil cheaper.

"Whoever win, we lose"

Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 00:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iNoles:

"Whoever win, we lose"

I would think she would want oil to be more expensive, considering that the big oil companies have to pay Alaska a portion of thier profits for the oil pumped out of the ground up there.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 04:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by iNoles:

"Whoever win, we lose"

I would think she would want oil to be more expensive, considering that the big oil companies have to pay Alaska a portion of thier profits for the oil pumped out of the ground up there.
Less expensive to drill, more expensive at the pump = maximum profits! And doesn't the article say her husband is working for an oil company? Who knows, if their ex-governor do a good enough job, her husband may get a promotion! Everybody is happy! (Except the environmentalists and the consumers.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 05:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, hands up who hasn't tried to image google her in a bikini.
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 08:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.vpilf.com/
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 10:31      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'N

Your sayin' she has no experience? What about Obama? I think it was certainly a smart move on McCains part. This is getting more interesting everyday:)

Oh, and Snupy, I have not googled her in a bikini, yet!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 12:23      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Cap'N

Oh, and Snupy, I have not googled her in a bikini, yet!

Umm...I haven't either. Last I checked, I liked men.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 16:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
I agree with snupy, the Dems are screwed, but for more reasons than McCain's VP pick. The biggest issue the Obama campaign has is that it's all about brand image. Who gives a s**t?! I want issues and answers and strategy. All I'm getting out of Obama at this point is #1 Best Sellers and a lot of pretty rhetoric.

There's been much discussion here on this, and for as much as I wanted a Dem in the White House, I may ultimately vote McCain only because he seems to weigh issues and choose carefully. His actions are speaking a lot louder than Obama's words at this point.

Perhaps that's not "all you're getting out of Obama", but out of your media. If as you say, you are truly interested in the nuts and bolts of policy, Obama's web site contains a wealth of really quite detailed policy documents. It is interesting that his eloquence seems to count against him, but having enjoyed the last eight years of GWB's inarticulate manglings of the English language, I personally think that a president who can express himself clearly and powerfully is a change that I for one can believe in.

As for McCain's supposed independence of mind, I haven't actually seen that much concrete evidence of it so far. If you look through the policy documents on his site, he seems to be a pretty conventional Republican, with little apart from his policies on the environment that distinguishes him from the current administration, though of course I live in hope, if we are so unlucky as to have to endure another Republican administration.

I sincerely hope this will not be the case. You have had your (and the world) economy trashed, your moral leadership and international reputation almost completely destroyed, and suffered the humiliating failure of the Iraq war. All this was brought about by the mad ideologues of the Republican Party who it seems McCain must still kowtow to. If after all this, you decide you still want another four years of the same, you may, in place of your leadership of the Western world, instead lay claim to the title of the stupidest, most ignorant nation on God's green earth.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I cannot understand how anyone with working neural circuits could possibly vote for a third Republican term, with basically the same disastrous policies.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 17:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
As for McCain's supposed independence of mind, I haven't actually seen that much concrete evidence of it so far. If you look through the policy documents on his site, he seems to be a pretty conventional Republican, with little apart from his policies on the environment that distinguishes him from the current administration

He's one of the few Republicans willing to take a radical stand and say torture is bad.
That earns him several points in my book.

quote:

You have had your (and the world) economy trashed, your moral leadership and international reputation almost completely destroyed, and suffered the humiliating failure of the Iraq war. All this was brought about by the mad ideologues of the Republican Party who it seems McCain must still kowtow to.

Malcolm Fraser, a former conservative Prime Minister of Australia, and known as a huge supporter of Uncle Sam when he was in government, published this opinion piece in the aussie press the other day.

quote:
From TFA:
America has lost its way in the world

There can be no hope of a peaceful planet with the US so belligerent...

...After the Cold War, the neo-conservatives sought to cement American supremacy. Their underlying philosophy was to enshrine American power throughout this century and beyond, to recast the rest of the world in America's image, if necessary by force of arms. The neo-conservatives did not want the restraint of international agreements, of law or of organisation. To them, September 11, 2001, was an opportunity to free America from those restraints...

...the Administration plotted, step by step to bypass the Geneva Convention, the torture convention, to free America to act as it wanted. The people participating, lawyers, politicians, bureaucrats are arguably guilty of serious war crimes...

...the unthinking pursuit of American dominance without any real consideration of longer term consequences of actions has destroyed the reputation America had...

This is what 8 years of the Republican Regime have done for America's standing with it's friends, how anyone could want 4 more is beyond me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 17:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli, I know to an outsider we would seem absolutely crazy and stupid to vote for 4 more years of the same, but you forget how powerful and single-minded the religious right is in America. Many, many people vote on one issue and one issue alone: Pro Life(and in recent years there is also the gay marriage issue).

They are motivated, they have the numbers, and they see nothing beyond these "moral" issues. My mother, sister and niece have only recently started voting for the candidates rather than where they stand on abortion.

I still have nightmares about Reagan and the "Moral Majority".

*sigh*

--------------------

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 18:09      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya Snupy. Just read some of the posts here from the mostly conservative West Michigan crowd. Someone even posted about FOX news being the most unbiased news source out there! [Eek!] http://forums.hollandsentinel.com

The headquarters of the Christian Reformed Church is just around the corner from me.

Surprisingly though I've seen more Obama signs in people's yards than McCain the past few weeks. Last time it was a sea of Bush signs.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2008 18:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Snoops, seems an unusual way to pick your president doesn't it?

The main point of my post was that you don't have to vote for the next president based solely on the beauty contest run by the media, and it is relatively easy to pick up a lot of policy information from both sides.

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 03:04      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, Calli. You made a good point. I was mainly responding to your last sentence:

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I cannot understand how anyone with working neural circuits could possibly vote for a third Republican term, with basically the same disastrous policies.

Now, it can be argued that the religious right have no working neural circuits...
[Big Grin]

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 03:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Hi Y'all __ I have to keep reminding myself only SIXTY FIVE MORE DAYS. The US voting populace is very often, Single issue RIGHT TO LIFE. Yup save babies and kill criminals.

____ Looks like "Good Ole John" has picked another Hood Ornament.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 12:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me starts building a tent city in Canada to house Democratic USA refugees, just in case.

cali... excellent summation of how the rest of the planet feels.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 21:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the piece a few days ago about why this conservative Republican who is strongly anti-abortion now supports Obama. His thesis is that the Republican party has only says it is pro-life to get votes, but only cares about a society where the wealthiest can go on indulging themselves without ever having to make a moral choice. His feeling is Obama's stands on education and fighting poverty will do more to reduce the number of abortions than 4 more years of the same thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/frank-as-a-former-pro-lif_b_119435.html

It provides some nice arguments to present to those people who would vote for McCain on the abortion issue alone.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
sagekoolaid
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2008 22:15            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not my own work but follows proper logic as far as palin goes

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/4628/sarahpalinla4.png

yeah...

and for those of us dissenting in minneapolis

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/08/30/police_raids/index.html

feck

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 02:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sagekoolaid:

Such irresponsible behaviour from an expectant mother.
It's almost as if the 'pro life' politician who knew she was carrying a Down's syndrome child wanted to lose her baby.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 03:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sagekoolaid:

Sagekoolaid though you use the word logic, you know that is just a nasty personal attack, of the kind that the Republicans do so much better. One of the more attractive points of Obama's candidacy is his desire to lift political debate a little higher. It would be nice if that could happen.

The way democracy is supposed to work is that you let one team in to government who try out their ideas as to how to make the world and our lives better. Then after a while there is an election, and we all have to decide whether they are making the world better, or whether the other lot deserve a chance. The media noise around us, sound bites, character attacks, and generally reporting everything in horse race terms, (e.g. will Sarah Palin attract the female vote, and disaffected Hillary supporters) distracts from this central question. GWB managed to scrape in twice, by skilful management of his public image as a "regular guy", while his opponents were so effectively smeared. His radical right wing policy platform was always there but not really discussed, to the extent that in both elections, some TV commentators asserted completely erroneously that there was little to distinguish the candidates in policy terms. I hope that this will not happen again.

Sarah Palin's effect on different voter groups does matter, and her character is relevant, but the central two questions are what would she contribute to a McCain administration, and that would appear to be more right wing influence. The second question is what kind of President would she make, and McCain's age makes this more important than usual, and I would be worried about voting for a ticket containing such an unknown quantity.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture