homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » smile, you're on camera!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smile, you're on camera!
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 10 posted August 28, 2008 01:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and Mrs Grummash went for a drive out to a wildlife park yesterday, and took lots of blurred photos of animals that don't belong in the UK.

I'm quite pleased with this shot, even though it is not technically perfect, so I thought I'd post it for you all to see:

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 08:52      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice picture, though I would have thought stags belonged in the UK. Or, are they French deer? [Razz]

Did you happen to notice that they seem a bit on the bloody end? Was there a fight?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 09:18      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOH! Grummash, please tell me where this park is?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 10:50      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Nice picture, though I would have thought stags belonged in the UK. Or, are they French deer? [Razz]

Did you happen to notice that they seem a bit on the bloody end? Was there a fight?

Deer and moose and animals like that have a velvety layer of skin when the antlers first come in. Then later on, they begin shedding it off. They'll sometimes even eat it when they're hungry. It has lots of protein. I learn all that from watching Animal Planet. And they say watching TV isn't good for your brain. [Razz]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 12:26      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, did not know that. And, as I have no TV ( [Eek!] ) I can't watch Animal Planet. Unless it's streaming via the Web, but then again, I don't watch much programming via the Web.

But, I read! And write. And do a little arithmetic. Well, not really on that last one.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 13:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snupy - the place is Knowsley Safari Park, near Liverpool (M62 then M57). Mrs Grummash insisted we drive through the baboon enclosure, which was extremely entertaining but we did lose a windsreen-wiper blade before I could shake one of the buggers off!

tweety - It's like GMx said. So, to answer your question, I don't think they have been fighting as it is much too late in the season. But the shedding velvet attracts flies because of the blood so it is common for deer to rub the antlers against trees or other antlers to speed the shedding process up.

Oh, and the deer in the picture are Fallow Deer, which are native to mainland Europe and have been in the UK since at least the first century AD.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 09:43      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Grummash- it looks really cool. I'm putting that on my list of places to visit in the UK.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 13:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snupy - as the park is near Liverpool, the landscape is not very dramatic, but there aren't too many places in the UK where you can drive within a few feet of critters like this.......

-

Oooohh!!!.... let's not miss an opportunity for ASS-PICS!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 15:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
snupy - as the park is near Liverpool, the landscape is not very dramatic, but there aren't too many places in the UK where you can drive within a few feet of critters like this......

There's not too many places in the world where you'd want to drive that close to those critters. [Eek!]
Please tell me there's a big strong fence (or better yet, a moat) which you cleverly kept out-of-shot.

btw - did they have any of these?

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 17:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - the section of the site labelled "The Safari Drive" is weird. Most of the animal population in this area are Impala, then Fallow Deer, then a mix of cattle-type beasts such as Wildebeest, Bison, and some very odd monster longhorn cows that I have yet to identify.

However...your question was regarding the Rhino-sosserousses....and no... there is no fence and no moat. The idea is that you drive on the tarmac and they graze on the grass and everyone is happy. I took those photos from 10 feet away.....

The Hyenas are fenced in...and the tigers are fenced in, and the elephants are in a special enclosure, but you get to drive amongst the lions!

There were plenty of big scary birds, most of them were Emu, I think, but there were Ostrich as well. These also were not fenced off from the humans in cars. I'll post further photos when I am back on my main computer.

SECOND EDIT- actually,...the Rhinos???... on further consideration they were probably more like 10 yards away, but you will understand why it felt like less with no fence between us!!!!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture