homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » TYPO WARS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TYPO WARS
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 23, 2008 08:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first shots have been fired...

Typo vigilantes banned from national parks

Typo Eradication Advancement League. lol

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 10:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Snaggy ____ The next thing is the granmmma police getting on every one about your, you're, and you are all (Insert insult).

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 15:59      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a pound for every time I've wanted to do that! I cant tell you how sick I am of seeing apostrophes on every word that happens to have an s at the end. The worst offenders in the UK are restaurants- Egg's, Panini's, etc.

I've even seen expensive, professional signs with the apostrophes where they shouldn't be, and it just looks so unprofessional.

Sorry for the rant. [ohwell]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 17:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one of my pet peeves.
And yes, cafes are the worst offenders ("Fish and chip's" AAARRRGGGHHHH'H) although I do have occasional traumatic flash-backs to the 2 metre high sign in a local shop window advertising "CAR STERIO'S"

Maybe we should form The SSSA (Society for the Suppression of Superfluous Apostrophe's). [Wink]

[edit] Would you get arrested for fixing this?
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 18:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats's one's of's my's pet's peevesse's too's!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 21:53      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've corrected ads I've done for clients to read TVs, RVs, ATVs, CDs, DVDs, 2008s, 100s etc... only to have them insist on putting the apostrophe back in [Mad] The customer is always right though! I just want to add apostrophes to the rest of the plurals that they didn't put one in if they are so insistent on having the others! [shake head]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 02:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by TFD:

Maybe we should form The SSSA (Society for the Suppression of Superfluous Apostrophe's

Many years ago, the columnist and playwright Keith Waterhouse formed the Association for the Abolition of the Aberrant Apostrophe (AAAA) but they have failed to stem the tide of unwanted and unnecessary apostrophes. [Frown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 24, 2008 05:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your all gay
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 11:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
your all gay

Bravo, Sir. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 13:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
your all gay

lol [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 13:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
[QUOTE]
Many years ago, the columnist and playwright Keith Waterhouse formed the Association for the Abolition of the Aberrant Apostrophe (AAAA) but they have failed to stem the tide of unwanted and unnecessary apostrophes. [Frown]

Following the wikipedia link for aberrant apostrophe. I loved Lynne Truss' quote about "Punctuation Anarchy"! What a great term!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 14:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupy - despite all the criticism she has received, Lynne Truss has done a very good job of bringing the debate about change in the English language back into the mainstream.

I liked her book, many did not. We have to accept that change in any language is inevitable, but there is value in understanding how and why some changes improve the language and some do not.

As Laurence Olivier's character Cantor Rabinovitch said in Neil Diamond's version of "The Jazz Singer"..... "If you don't know verr you come from, how do you know verr you're goink?"

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 15:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
originally posted by TFD:

Maybe we should form The SSSA (Society for the Suppression of Superfluous Apostrophe's

How about the Association for the Abolition of Alliterative Acronym's?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 17:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - you lead, I will follow [Big Grin]

--------------------

shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 25, 2008 07:28      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bah i is denies you al! bad spielliers of the word untie!

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 07:32      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As Laurence Olivier's character Cantor Rabinovitch said in Neil Diamond's version of "The Jazz Singer"..... "If you don't know verr you come from, how do you know verr you're goink?"

OMG! I remember that-and it sounded just like that, too! LMAO

From your link, it appears Bill Bryson has done some writing on the subject, too, which I didn't know. I'm just discovering him. Have you read any of his work?

TFD-how could I have forgotten to mention "Fish and Chip's"?! arggghhhh

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 08:32      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
From your link, it appears Bill Bryson has done some writing on the subject, too, which I didn't know. I'm just discovering him. Have you read any of his work?

I'm a big Bill Bryson fan - his writing style is crisp and elegant, and very easy to read. For the most part he writes in English, not American, unless there is a specific reason to write in American.

I like his sense of humour and his the ability to use understatement very effectively to get a point across. Above all, when he is writing about the people and places that have formed his experiences he writes with love, and doesn't have the supercilious attitude of some travel writers.

From memory - I've read Down Under, A Walk in the Woods, Notes from a Small Island, The Lost Continent, and A Short History of Nearly Everything. Oh.... and Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

I would highly recommend any of those books, particularly to people who are looking for something light and pleasing to read as a break from more taxing tomes. [Smile]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 10:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh...I just bought A Short History of Nearly Everything at a local fair for a pound!

You haven't read Troublesome Words, then, in which he says(about aberrant apostrophes), "the mistake is inexcusable and those who make it are linguistic Neanderthals".

I'll have to put that one on my shopping list!

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 19:49      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... I cant tell you ...

Ahem.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 19:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's obviously trying to restore balance to the universe by limiting her use of apostrophes to make up for the overuse of them elsewhere.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 00:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originall posted by snupy:
You haven't read Troublesome Words, then........

I haven't heard of that one, but I'll certainly look out for it on my next trip to the bookshop. [Smile]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 03:48      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
quote:
... I cant tell you ...

Ahem.
What Steen said. [blush]

Actually, it's this darned British keyboard. [Wink]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 03:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, it's this darned British keyboard. [Wink]

Still not used to typing on the left?

--------------------

CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted August 26, 2008 05:22      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
your all gay

Edit: You're all gay.

[Wink]

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 06:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:
quote:
your all gay

Edit: You're all gay.

[Wink]

Yall'r gay.

</redneck>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture