homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Who made your iPhone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who made your iPhone
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 14:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm against child labor, but this is this is too cute

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 15:06      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for child labor. Have you seen the going rates for British butlers and French maids?

[evil]

I started working at age 14. Heck of a lot of good it did me. My first job was as a busboy. At least this girl gets to put cool tech together. She looks to be around 15 or so, so I guess as long as she's not pulling more than 10 - 15 hours a week, no harm. I think here in Illinois if you're under 16 you can't work more than 20 hours a week, but I could be wrong. It's been way to long since I was 16.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 20, 2008 15:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I'm against child labor, but this is this is too cute

Child labor? She could be as old as 18, or even a young-looking 20. Ok, more probably 16, but definitely no lower than 14. Not exactly a child labour, if you ask me.

Besides, the children are sweeping the floor, not making the phones! [evil]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 10 posted August 20, 2008 16:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's totally making iPhones. Look at the finger cots. The main reason for those is to provide a clean, gripping surface over top of clean room gloves.

For my child labor comment, choose your preferred reason:

I couldn't think of anything better to introduce the link with.
-or-
Cute kids should be employed! Let the ugly ones starve! Eugenics is awesome!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 17:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's college age, Steen.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2008 18:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sighs and points at the first of the two explanations*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 20, 2008 19:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this... wouldn't it be cool if every iPhone arrived with some photos of it being made?
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2008 01:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working in one of those infamous Chinese sweat-shops doesn't look too bad.

-

btw - did someone say Child Labour ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2008 11:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based solely on my interpretation of the girl's smile being completely natural and relaxed, I think it's rather sweet. I'm sure we would all like to think of our iPhones being made by someone who was happy in their work.

Now....if she had been holding up a sign saying "Help! My feet are nailed to the floor and I can't runaway!" then I might feel a little different. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2008 22:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Based solely on my interpretation of the girl's smile being completely natural and relaxed, I think it's rather sweet. I'm sure we would all like to think of our iPhones being made by someone who was happy in their work.

Well, perhaps also that it was taken by a friend at the end of a shift. Maybe they were having a laugh about the 'silly Americans who are going crazy to buy these insanely overpriced toys.'

That said, many Foxconn employees live at factory housing...and have to pay for it! I'm not going to say that this stuff is quite like Nike or other such charming entities, but I just don't think it's the grandest thing. If Apple products are so expensive, why can't they be made to give a fairer wage to people (or *gasp* maybe have American labor?!).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 05:16      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

That said, many Foxconn employees live at factory housing...and have to pay for it!

That's really not much different than the stuff American companies like Ford did back in the early 1900s.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 08:26      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, clearly we have no way of knowing from 3 pics if it is a good job or not, but it looks like they are having a little fun.

and personally, i think it is awesome. i wish i had pics on my phone outta the box!

TFD...... i am going to go get my kids and show them that video right now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 10:40      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<not-wanting-to-start-a-flame-war>
Apple products really aren't that much more expensive for their given configurations. Can you get something cheaper from someone else? Sure, but when you compare like configuration to like configuration, Apple's are usually about the same price.

What angryjungman pointed out is true, American companies used to do the very same thing. I think the problem China and Chinese companies are having is simply that they are, in a lot of ways, about 100 years behind the US and Europe, especially when it comes to working and living conditions. They are ramping up pretty quickly, though, and I expect a *lot* of growing pains.

Still, compared against Western ideals, the Chinese treat their workers like dirt (at least, so sayeth the dissident voices). But, the big question I have yet seen answered is "What is the Chinese culture like? Are they, as a whole, open to communal living conditions, open to giving their all for the company/country/greater good?"

With the Japanese who regularly work 12 16 hour days, even with a fairly democratic society, they still end up being owned by their employers. It's happening here, as well. When you spend more time at work than with your family and friends, your employer owns you.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture