homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Ummm, I think I would prefer a pet!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ummm, I think I would prefer a pet!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2008 14:55      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not so sure how I would react to someone with one of these.

http://jezebel.com/339653/lifelike-baby-dolls-the-new-trend-for-childless-british-women

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2008 18:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you were a police officer and you saw the doll in the back of a closed-up car in the summer, you'd smash the window

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2008 21:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Well, if you were a police officer and you saw the doll in the back of a closed-up car in the summer, you'd smash the window

Wouldn't that depend on your attitude to children?
</just-sayin>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2008 21:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

/i_would

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 02:30      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I met someone with one of those dolls, I think I'd probably play along if that's what they expected... just because I'd feel so terrible for them. Sure, it's pretty strange, but how can anyone else openly judge if that's what gives a childless woman some kind of comfort?
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 03:50      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, don't you think that from a psychological perspective that these women are not addressing their issues and just masking them temporarily? I don't see how this can be healthy in a long term situation. When you have a loss, you should grieve, it is part of a healthy mental life. I think this is just causing more issues down the road. And it's a little creepy [Eek!]

Just my opinion [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 04:45      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do have a point there, and I guess if the person in question was a close friend or family member, then my reaction would be somewhat different. However, when it comes to a stranger/acquaintance, I'm not sure if I'd want to start giving them any sort of advice, or questioning their perspective on things.
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 06:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But isn't that what forums in the internet are for, telling complete stragers how to run thier lives. [ohwell]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 07:19      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
But, don't you think that from a psychological perspective that these women are not addressing their issues and just masking them temporarily? I don't see how this can be healthy in a long term situation. When you have a loss, you should grieve, it is part of a healthy mental life. I think this is just causing more issues down the road. And it's a little creepy [Eek!]

Just my opinion [Razz]

I agree wholeheartedly. Steven Spielberg broached this topic quite well in the movie AI. That whole movie was damn creepy, and for the same reason these dolls are creepy.

I don't like the idea of technology (even if the technology is just "very very realistic dolls".. for now) attempting to replace actual human contact. That is to say: making technology to reduce human workload is okay (though I do have some mixed feelings about that too), but producing technology for the sole purpose of having something to love... that's just damn creepy! More than that, it takes us just one step closer to being totally dependent on technology in *every* aspect of our lives.

The draw of technology is convenience, and this doll is no different. The convenience of a baby that never poops, cries, eats, or has to go to the doctor. The convenience of having a baby without having to go through the horrible pain of labor and the expense of child rearing. *sigh* And it seems that we humans are willing to give a little quality to gain a little convenience... I hope this isn't the case here.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 08:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
The convenience of having a baby without having to go through the horrible pain of labor and the expense of child rearing. *sigh* And it seems that we humans are willing to give a little quality to gain a little convenience... I hope this isn't the case here.

This is why I think this will appeal mostly with somewhat "deranged" people - sorry: mentally unstable. For even I who have no urge to get a children (for some of the reasons you mentioned, but also because I feel I would be unable to fulfill a child's need alone, and I am missing a potential father in my life), would rather have a child who learns to walk and break things in the process, who runs toward you mangling a lovely "mummy!", who gets put on the bus for a first day of school, who comes back with a nice drawing, and sometimes a scratch to kiss, than an artificial one. Someone who is content to have a doll to care for should probably not care for a real child, for fear of messing the poor thing up for life.

After all, what is the good of having a baby to love if it can't love you back? I have heard real mothers say they'd wish their child would never grow up, but I know all the same they would say it again in a year, in five, and then ten years later be proud of what their child has become. Take that out of the picture, and you lose the best out of child rearing.

Hopefully, there will always be enough real parents to raise real children properly. And if those dolls prevent messed-up people (even if temporarily) to mess up children, then it may be a good thing. Still creepy, though. [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 18, 2008 10:12      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:

Just my opinion [Razz]

is there a "smartass" html tag? maybe we need one....

maybe this is just my inner atheist coming out, but i wonder if their is a market for 'god' dolls......

[devil wand]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 10:41      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
The convenience of having a baby without having to go through the horrible pain of labor and the expense of child rearing.

Or you can do it the other way round: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfi4GDF53E
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 11:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it was a joke, but of course I wanted to see if there was a joke web site to go with it...

As it turns out, Natus Medical Incorporated is a real company with some unusual, but necessary products.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 19:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudder* I would argue that the Circumstraint™ isn't necessary for the vast majority of boys.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2008 23:30      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom sells dolls that look somewhat real but as far as I know no one is getting them to replace an actual child. They do have them made to look like their kids, or grandkids though. And she will push one around in a stroller at malls and public places but only to get potential buyers. Here's what they look like www.tinytotsdolls.com

My siblings and I find them a little creepy. My sister and her husband put the doll body parts all over their house when they were house sitting for my parents once. Had arms coming out of the tea kettle & toaster and a head in the coffee carafe and a doll holding a butcher knife around other body parts of the dolls. They took photos for us [Big Grin]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 04:12      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo, You made me just spill my coffee. That is hilarious!!!

I don't know why there is such a high "creep factor" on these little dollies? I guess it is the same thing that clowns have that freak me out [Eek!]

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 05:01      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find all things that look even remotely like a child scary - maybe I'm just not cut out to be a father.

And although they're creepy IRL, I find this image amusing - it puts me in mind of the famous "kittens in a frying pan" for some reason (boil in the bag babies?)

-

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 06:02      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:

My siblings and I find them a little creepy. My sister and her husband put the doll body parts all over their house when they were house sitting for my parents once. Had arms coming out of the tea kettle & toaster and a head in the coffee carafe and a doll holding a butcher knife around other body parts of the dolls. They took photos for us [Big Grin]

was ketchup involved? [Razz]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 09:24      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly no ketchup was involved. No doll parts were harmed in the making of the incident.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2008 14:48      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if you knew of anyone who had a RealDoll, and was, uh, active with it, you could freak them out by sneaking into their house and placing one of those real looking baby dolls in its arms.

Prop them both on the couch, put a bottle of milk in the baby doll's mouth, and of course, hide a camera to record the lovely reaction. If you wanted to have even more fun, set up a recording to play "Look at what we made!" when the front door opens, or they enter the room, etc.

If you were really nasty you could try to get a fresh placenta from a hospital and throw that on the floor inbetween the RealDoll's feet.

Of course, this is just giving me more and more nasty ideas, but I'll leave those for another time. [evil]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture