homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » For those who can read French

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For those who can read French
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 11, 2008 11:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Actually, you may understand most of it even if you don't.)

There's this Bédéiste (comic writer, if you will) who has a blog (duh! don't they all these days?). I admit, I don't read him regularly (two or three times a year, maybe), but I did today, and looking his past posts, I found this one about the revenge of the geeks. It's mostly fun all along, until the end where the punch is very well done. So if you feel like it, enjoy!

(Ok, one last parenthesis: if you ask nicely enough, I might decide to post a translation.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2008 11:56      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tee Hee! Formidable, Stereo! Merci beaucoup!

[Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2008 15:20      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'est a cheker! Big double plus good and a lolercoaster!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2008 18:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
(Ok, one last parenthesis: if you ask nicely enough, I might decide to post a translation.)

*asks nicely*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2008 19:26      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

*asks nicely*
me too [Smile]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 07:42      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

*asks nicely*
Hmmm... All right. Here it is. (Still go see the comic, I left many visual jokes out.)

So, with apology to Boulet:
quote:
(Panel 1)
title: "The end of the world!"
sign: "Repent yourselves"
Boulet: "Brothers! The world is heading to its end! The natural order as planned by Our Lord has been disordered!"
(Panel 2)
"God said: There shall be four categories of humans: there shall be the strong, the athletes who shall rule the recess' courtyard"
A jerk: "Easy"
Strenght: 4 stars Mind: 1 star Charisma: 2 stars
(Panel 3)
"God said: There shall be their antithesis: the quick-minded, always first of the class."
A nerd: "Hush, some people are working over here."
Strenght: 1 star Mind: 4 stars Charisma: 2 stars
(Panel 4)
"God said: For the beauty of the world, there shall be artists, whose talents will conceal their weaknesses."
Mandolin player: "Let me rhyme 'Love' with 'your eyes'"
Strenght: 2 stars Mind: 2 stars Charisma: 4 stars
(Panel 5)
"And then God said: Well, the rest are the scars, they're out of luck. They shall read comics while waiting for death to come upon them."
A geek with a childhood tv character printed t-shirt: "What? But..."
Strenght: 2 stars Mind: 2 stars Charisma: 1 star
(Panel 6)
"'All right, all right, whatever' Said God"
"Don't you go all sulking, we shall find something for you."
(Panel 7)
"Then God said: The fourth type shall be able to dream up the life he is missing. For that, he shall master game consoles and computers. He shall be named 'no-life' or 'geek'."
(Panel 8)
"That shall make him chubby and slow-minded, but at least he shall be somewhat fun."
The geek: "And there, if you climb the rope in JetSet Willy, you find the rocket..."
Strenght: 2 stars Mind: 2 stars Charisma: 1 star Fun: 4 smiles
(Panel 9)
Boulet: "And it's _then_ that, like Adam biting the forbidden fruit, the geek betrayed the sacred will of the Lord!"
(Panel 10)
Random people: "What?" "What is it?"
(Panel 11)
The geek: "Sorry man, but I have hours of Wii-Boxing, Wii-Fit and Tekken under my belt!"
Strenght + fun = 2 stars and 4 smiles geek > strenght
(Panel 12)
The nerd: "Litterature! Science! Geograpy! You can't beat my mind!"
The geek: "I have millions of MP3s, of DivX, and I can repair a computer!
Mind + fun = 2 stars and 4 smiles Geek > mind
(Panel 13)
The mandolin player: "I can sing a..."
The geek: "I complete 'Freebird' in expert mode at Guita Hero!" "With my back to the screen!"
Charisma + fun : 1 star and 4 smiles Geek > talent
(Panel 14)
"You would like to stop them? But they are experts with weapons!"
The geek: "Thank-you 'Call of Duty,' 'Counter-Strike...'"
(Panel 15)
"Soon, the authorities will be armless to them!"
The geek: "Ha!, I have gathered over 1,500 hours of Spinter-cell and you try going through the window!"
(Panel 16)
"We have thought for a long time that the 21th century would be 'human against the machine'"
Woman: "Hiiii! And the laws of robotics, f*ck*!"
Man: "SARAH CONNOR!"
(Panel 17)
Boulet: "But the machine has been smarter! She recovered the slums of humanity and now models them into an army intoxicated on vengeance"
Title: "Revenge of the Geeks - end of the world 3.0"
Geek 1: "Pwned"
Geek 3: "You wanna fight?"
Geek 4: "You like sport?" (With a t-shirt saying "28 days (of wiirt[?]) later"
Geek 5's t-shirt reads "Lara Croft is fugly*"
Boulet: "An army of supermen working for computers!"
(Panel 18)
Boulet: "What does it take for you to understand? 'Call of NASDAC*' that will teach them about the stock-exchange? 'Wii-Survival' which will make them invincible even whithout any resources? We must destroy those machines!"
(Panel 19)
Boulet: "And we shall begin with this shit of a Wii-Fit that dared PRETEND THAT I HAVE TEN KILOS TO LOSE!"

*I went for the idea rather than the exact word.

(And if you want to share it, please do not only pass on the translation, but also link to the original page, and mention the author. I want people to enjoy his work, not to steal from it.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 04:02      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MDR Mec! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 05:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Stereo.

/me wanders off to take a hammer to that nasty Wii Fit board...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2008 15:15      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo

Thanks for that - my French reading is kinda "schoolboy" - I could get most of it, but not all and certainly not the nuances.

FWIW I think the T shirt reads 28 Days (of WiiFit) Later... a reference both the to the "buffed" state of the wearer and the film 28 Days Later

But a great comic none the less and thanks again for the translation that helped fill in a few blanks for me.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture