homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Malwebolence: The Trolls Among Us

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Malwebolence: The Trolls Among Us
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 15:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The New York Times Magazine had a piece on trolling.

I especially thought this bit was interesting:
quote:
The human equivalent of this robustness is a combination of eloquence and tolerance — the spirit of good conversation. Trolls embody the opposite principle. They are liberal in what they do and conservative in what they construe as acceptable behavior from others. You, the troll says, are not worthy of my understanding; I, therefore, will do everything I can to confound you.
So, what makes people troll?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 03, 2008 16:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's the same thing that makes some people burn ants with magnifying glasses.... glee over inflicted suffering, with no consequences.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 17:43      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is saddening to me. [Frown] Maybe people troll to make themselves feel better about themselves. I mean, they wouldn't do this if the people knew who they were, right? Pansies!

Freaks, all freaks on the net [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 18:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
So, what makes people troll?

I think the article made that quite clear in the story of the guy with no home, living out of 3 bags, who hired a Rolls Royce for a couple of days to impress the journalist.
Trolls are sad, insecure losers trying to make themselves feel important.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 21:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes people troll? What makes a serial killer murder people?

There isn't a single, all-encompasing reason and we don't (and most likely can't) understand human psychology well enough to do anything more than make up some generic motivations and try to match people up with them. Human thought processes, however, are maddeningly complex and most motivations will be present to a greater or lesser degree in every person who trolls.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 04:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ So how does one know? Lets say that some one posts about a topic near and dear to them, and it dies a one post thread.

Or there is a thread and your reply kills the thread (ie) last post.

The thread becomes hijacked and takes on a life of its own.

I think that all of us here want to post a topic that will go into two pages just so that there is a good debate. So is that trolling?

Here we do not seem to get many trolls, some very bad answers and heated replies, name calling, but not a true trolling flame war.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 07:26      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes one troll? Maybe its genetic, or maybe its in combination with being raised underneath a bridge attacking those who try to cross.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 11:14      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People troll because it gives them pleasure. The pleasure of Power (Hey, look, I totally pwnd that thread, they're all dancing to my tune), the pleasure of Attention (ha ha, now they're all reacting to my comment), the pleasure of Control. Most likely, their work is menial, or they feel they know more than those around them, they feel frustrated by those around them (coworkers and family, possibly friends if they have any), and they have developed an underlying cruelty out of frustration at the perceived stupidity of the masses.

Though, I do think there is a spectrum of Trolling, from the Class Clown commentary down to Truly Obnoxious/Hurtful/Cruel.

"Who let all this rif raff into the room?"

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 07:00      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
There isn't a single, all-encompasing reason and we don't (and most likely can't) understand human psychology well enough to do anything more than make up some generic motivations and try to match people up with them. Human thought processes, however, are maddeningly complex and most motivations will be present to a greater or lesser degree in every person who trolls.

if the human mind were simple enough that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we could no longer understand it. [ohwell]
Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 10:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting timing on the NYT article... apparently Jason Fortuny, the self-annointed speaker for trolls in the article, is getting sued by one of his victims.

Personally, I think Fortuny should lose at least part of the lawsuit, but I do think the victim is going over the top in trying to use copyright law and the DMCA as part of the suit.

There is something amusing and pathetic about Fortuny whining/lying about how, when he posted people's pictures and personal details and their replies to a fake sex ad, "there was no malicious intent in my actions. This was never a plan to embarrass people or to single out a subset of the population."

You'd think he'd try to come up with a believable lie. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 05, 2008 11:14      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
There is something amusing and pathetic about Fortuny whining/lying about how, when he posted people's pictures and personal details and their replies to a fake sex ad, "there was no malicious intent in my actions. This was never a plan to embarrass people or to single out a subset of the population."

You'd think he'd try to come up with a believable lie. [Roll Eyes]

not really, that sounds exactly like a troll to me..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 16:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HIM?!!?!

He's lowlife scum. I have to say that it was an interesting glimpse at human stupidity (replying with a .mil address!!!), but really a horrible thing to do. I CBA to read the article for now, but people like him really suck.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture