homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Why is August 2 a curse in My family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is August 2 a curse in My family
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 03, 2008 07:53      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you may or may not know, August 2 is not one of my favourite days. This year we marked 14 years since my fathers death, and 5 since my grandfathers death.

Normally we go to a beach near the location of my fathers ashes. However this year we had an nasty interruption that prevented this.

My brother was out for a ride on his motorcycle. He was "clearing his head" because of the nature of the day.

Now my brother is by no mean a complete novice at riding. He's been riding since he was 16. Well he was riding home with his friend and some left turning nimrod T-boned my brother.

My brother saw it coming and tried to get off the bike. The drive panicked and hit the gas instead of the brakes. My brother flew into the drivers windshield.

I thank the maker that 2 things happened. 1. the incident happened less than 1 block from the hospital. 2. That my brother reacted the way he did and tried to get off the bike. My brother walked away from this with no broken bones. He's on crutches and has a NASTY huge ass bruise on his thigh. I think my brother got off extremely lucky. He did not hit his head, there was not a scratch or dent in his helmet. If you ask me, looking at his wrecked bike and his condition, it was a bloody miracle.

I'll post more details as I have them. If you drive, Drive with your eyes wide open. There are other folks on the road, not just cars and trucks.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 08:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear he walked away with his life.

There is a saying in the motorcycling community.

There are bikers that have crashed, and there are bikers that are gonna crash.

All in all, a crash that you survive is a good crash. Sorry to hear you go this news today, but I glad to hear it was only an interruption and not another anniversary.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 09:26      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad your brother is okay MMB.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 09:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the shakes just reading about that.

I am so glad he walked away!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 09:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ macmcseboy-____ I am so glad that your Bro only has RoadRash and did not turn into RoadPizza. From a old RoadWarriors view point most cagers should not be driving at all.

____It is getting, to not be fun to ride anymore, I guess I know how long it would take to heal now, and I am getting an adversion to pain. I still ride on trails and in the woods but there if I screw up its just me and the trees. There are Old Bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no Old Bold Bikers. The tougher the trail, the slower one goes, First and Second gear are just fine. So do you want a list of some very tough trails?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 03, 2008 10:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
macm, so glad your bother is going to be OK. whoa he is lucky.

Let me just add that cagers don't have a monopoly on idiocy. I don't think a week goes by that I don't see an imbecile on a motorcycle endangering himself or others. Never underestimate the power of stupid people behind the wheel or handle bars.

present company excluded of course. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 13:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about it. But being the eternal optimist I am, try to see it this way: maybe the tide is turning around - your brother survived almost intact, when the past only gave you deaths. In a few years, who knows, there might be a birth that will give a new meaning to the day? (Fingers crossed and kind thoughts to you and your family.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 11:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about your brother's accident, but glad to hear he walked away. I hope that the fact that he did walk away from it will begin to dispel the dreadful feelings in your family surrounding the second of August. The tragedies your family have experienced on this date are enough, please don't allow ideas about 'cursed' days to creep into your thinking.

FWIW, some of us cage-drivers do pay special attention to those road users who have fewer wheels than us. I wish your brother a speedy recovery.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 13:54      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMB – Allow me to throw my hat in the ring on this one as well. I'm very glad to hear that your brother is alive, well (for the most part), and walking (for the most part).

You're not the only who feels their family has some weird curse over it, although for me it's diseases, not days.

I'm inclined to Stereo's view, maybe, for all it's craptacularness, this is a turning point towards better days and times. Everything, especially of major magnitude, happens for a reason. Keep your brother off his bike for a good long time, just to be safe.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 12:24      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothing against cagers. Just bad drivers. I know that bad driving is not just regulated to cars, but bikers, and cyclists, and others.

The news to date is Bro is doing ok. I suppose he'll be up and starting to use his legs more soon. He's managed to get sick with a cold tho. Being sick doesn't help, and neither does the drugs he's taking.

He'll be Talking with lawyer in the next day or so. She is the most feared lawyer by ICBC. We've known her a very long time. This is a slow and long process. but it will all get ironed out.

Bro says he done riding a motorcycle. He is sick of bad drivers. I think he'll take over mothers car in february. She's thinking of taking it off the read, Gas being 5$ about gallon here.

More details as I have em.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture