homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Interesting solar-water-hydrogen-thingy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting solar-water-hydrogen-thingy
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 10:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linkage
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 13:00      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw an article about this somewhere else, I forget where. Anyway, this is totally cool. Let's just hope that the big energy interests don't kill this before it has a chance to succeed. Just imagine being able to drive around with near unlimited range with nothing more than fuel cells, a tank of water and solar cells on your roof. It would also be great to be able to run your entire house off solar panels and fuel cells.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 15:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combine this with the new plastic fuel-cells and we could have a winner!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 16:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Until the TAX MAN cometh. There is an individual in N. Carolina that was making his own diesel for his car and driving on public roads. Seems that is a no-no in N. Carolina the state wants its road tax, he claimed it was not that much but they got his fuel card reports from the oil companies, figured out how far he had gone and calculated his taxes, It was a big chunk of money, and then N. Carolina turned over their info to the US fed Government, He saved a ton of money I hope that it is enough to pay the back taxes and fine.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 21:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Explain to me how this is different from simple electrolysis. [Confused]

There's a catalyst that makes it more efficient? How much more efficient? How efficient over all? The only thing the article said was "very efficient." Yeah, and an internal combustion engine used to be considered "very efficient" too. Give me some numbers, then maybe I'll stop being so skeptical.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 23:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast:
Excellent link, thanks for posting.

That's a novel approach to storing energy from the sun. Not sure how portable it is, I don't remember anything about powering automobiles in the article; at the end, they were talking about powering houses, so it may be that the storage they need is a bit larger than what is practical for a car. But a completely clean energy source for buildings would be amazing, given how many power plants burn coal, etc. And buildings that could power themselves, off the grid, would be a step in the right direction. (Does anyone really want to get into the problems with the electrical grid?) Does California still have problems with brown outs?

If anyone has access to the July 31 issue of Science, I'd be interested in reading the paper.

I do tend to think that we would need to be very careful with any energy form that involves destroying water. As I understand from the news article, it creates energy through the recombination of the oxygen and hydrogen, but I can't imagine it's a loss-less process. Running ourselves out of oil is a minor inconvenience, compared to what running ourselves out of water would be. (Not that I'm against new forms of clean energy, just that I think we should learn something from our lackadaisical approach toward fossil fuels, the impact of the ethanol craze on food prices, etc.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 03:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I do tend to think that we would need to be very careful with any energy form that involves destroying water. As I understand from the news article, it creates energy through the recombination of the oxygen and hydrogen, but I can't imagine it's a loss-less process. Running ourselves out of oil is a minor inconvenience, compared to what running ourselves out of water would be.

Um, looked at a map of the world lately?
The 70% that's coloured blue is ocean, much of it several thousand metres deep.
We won't be running out of water any time soon.

I'd be more worried about the local effects on 'climate' that a few million cars and home energy plants belching water vapour might cause. Summer in the big city could be uncomfortably humid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 04:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I do tend to think that we would need to be very careful with any energy form that involves destroying water. As I understand from the news article, it creates energy through the recombination of the oxygen and hydrogen, but I can't imagine it's a loss-less process. Running ourselves out of oil is a minor inconvenience, compared to what running ourselves out of water would be.

Um, looked at a map of the world lately?
The 70% that's coloured blue is ocean, much of it several thousand metres deep.
We won't be running out of water any time soon.

Heh. Thanks for making my point. "It's a plentiful resource! Why should we plan for using it wisely?"

That 70% of blue stuff is only accessible from coastal areas and requires desalinization to be useful for drinking and farming. And of course, there's the whole ocean ecosystem thing, ocean as a carbon sink, etc. The mess we are in now is absolutely nothing compared to the mess we would eventually find ourselves in (not in your lifetime or mine, so why should we care?) if we were to consume water for energy with the same reckless disregard as fossil fuels. It's not like there aren't already some concerns without "Lookee! Free energy!"

Yeah, I know, I'm a party pooper.

Uncomfortably humid versus uncomfortably smoggy... I'd take humid. (But again, the woefully incomplete article didn't propose it as a solution for cars, as far as I could tell, so I don't know whether that would even be feasible, or if you would be charging your monomobile off your water consuming house, anyway.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 10:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't any particular reason why you would need to let off water vapor. You can build a closed system that uses electrolysis to turn water into hydrogen and oxygen, then burn the hydrogen and oxygen to get back water vapor which is then condensed back into water.

In fact, I would think that a sealed system filled with purified water would be preferable because it would avoid build up of mineral deposits that would eventually cause problems.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 02, 2008 12:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of storing "your power" at home, wouldn't it be more sensible to "sell" your excess electricity to industrial consumers that will "never" be able to generate more power than they use?

#include <sarcasm.h>
Of course, my "sell electricity" idea would require that someone invent what I call an electrical _Inverter_ ... or the incredibly FUTURISTIC "Inverter Switch-Charger using a Grid-Tie System"! (Google ad: http://www.oksolar.com/home_solar_energy/ )

Here, someone stole my idea ...that I had in 1537 CE: http://www.kiplinger.com/printstory.php?pid=12467

PS: Try to remember that the MIT system doesn't _generate_ any energy ... it only _stores_ energy.

If you want to "store energy when the sun doesn't shine":

http://www.nrel.gov/csp/troughnet/thermal_energy_storage.html

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 05:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________- For those that want to know Trace a company that builds power conversion equipment for Motor homes and Sailboats has a full automatic charge and inverter controller for solar and grid tie setups, pretty stiff price but it would pay off, if I get a big enough windmill, and or solar cells.

Now the sticker the power company can pull your plug if you do not get all the permits from your state or local government. The Power company does not to pay you full retail for the power you generate, they want you to have two meters one for your purchase and one to sell to them but, ready for this here in Michigan they do not have to buy or pay you for the electricity that you make in excess of what you would have bought, NO CHECK from the power company. You can only offset not get paid for the power that they may then sell.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture