homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » I just can't Finnish anything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just can't Finnish anything
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 11:03      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, a little known fact is that for the past year and a half I have attempted to master the Finnish language. While I have managed to understand the grammar and semantics, the vocabulary easily slips my mind if not used for a week. This has severely limited my advancement in this language.

I was wondering if anyone here would happen to know a native speaker of the language (or are one [Big Grin] ) who'd be willing to talk to me only in Finnish to force it on me.

Or does anyone have any tips for a language learner? (This isn't my first language, I've taken about six years of latin, four of spanish, Finnish however is a bit harder to memorize)

By the way, its been a LONG time since I've posted her, and I hope you excuse my absence. I've missed you all [Smile]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:01      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest Rosetta Stone, but they do not have Finnish as one of the languages they offer. I think you are being too hard on yourself. After all you studied Spanish for four years and Finnish only a year and a half. Personally I think you just need more time and maybe try talking to yourself in Finnish and maybe start thinking in it too.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you can't find someone to talk to, you could order some books in Finnish and at least excercise your vocabulary that way. (Also, Stockmann is awesome, they sell everything. You can buy horse treats on the top floor.)

You could also try IRC.

Also you might like the FSI Language Course, though it looks like they don't have the text up yet.

Also, you might find a penpal.

Too bad you aren't learning Swedish, I'd practice with you.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that and Nordic languages are more than a bit confusing! Very fast spoken at times, long words that seem to run into each other, and tricky pronunciation rules!

For instance, courtesy of a friend:
Mastering Swedish, Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4

(Warning, rude language present)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:35      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, that and Nordic languages are more than a bit confusing!

LOL! Finnish is way worse. It's actually an Ugric language. Where Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish all share a lot of common ground, Finnish is closer to something like Hungarian. Completely incomprehensible.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2008 13:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
the vocabulary easily slips my mind if not used for a week.

I know the feeling.

When travelling, I made a point of learning the language basics of every country I visited before I got there, numbers to 20, please, thank you, that kind of thing. It worked well, and was very useful, until I got to Hungary (Hungarian and Finnish are related languages).
The words just wouldn't stay in.
Even after a week, I couldn't count to 5 in Hungarian.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2008 14:54      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, that and Nordic languages are more than a bit confusing!

LOL! Finnish is way worse. It's actually an Ugric language. Where Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish all share a lot of common ground, Finnish is closer to something like Hungarian. Completely incomprehensible.
Aye, tons of consonant sounds, a declension system that brings me back to my early Latin days. Thank you all for your advice! I will give your suggestions a shot
Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture