homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Helmet Cameras for Safer Cycling?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Helmet Cameras for Safer Cycling?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 16:05      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brennan, 35, says: "Although the camera has not changed my commute to any great extent, it does make me feel safer and calmer. Now, instead of screaming in annoyance at motorists, I simply point at my camera. It's amazing how quickly they back off when they clock it."

I think it's a good idea.

-

(picture from Action Camera Website)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 16:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From TFA:
Now, instead of screaming in annoyance at motorists, I simply point at my camera. It's amazing how quickly they back off when they clock it.

I found 1.5 metres of chain with a nice heavy padlock on the end had the same effect.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 00:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would probably be effective also, though the camera probably weighs less.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 10:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fun to watch; walkers complain about drivers, drivers complain about bicyclists, bicyclists complain about walkers and drivers.

I don't cycle through cities, I only drive (my work is ~98km away from my house), but in my experience, there's fucking retards using every mode of transportation. The assholes who can't wait until the walk guy symbol comes up, assumes when the light will turn green, and almost get smoked by someone legally turning at an advanced green. The bicyclists that pull out in front of you when someone else cuts them off, so instead of having to brake hard and maybe rear end a cab at ~10km/h, they almost get nailed from behind at 40km/h. Obviously not physics experts.

And then there's the drivers that are generally unaware of their surroundings. Like.. all of them.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 10:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impact with anything on a bike hurts. Even at 6 mph. Try it sometime. You will find it bracing, to say the least, and the repair bills to yourself and your bike just as bracing. And most bikes on the road are actually going about twice that speed. As a cyclist, I'd rather dodge a car cutting me off and risk maybe collision than just take a certain one. There's only so many broken nose and ruined bicycles a girl can take. [Razz]

We can't stop and turn on dimes. My tires are skinny. I keep my brakes in good condition, but, even so, if I've got a good head of speed going (I can and will pass 30 mph going down a hill) stopping is a bit of a problem. I brake hard and I fish tail. If the roadway is at all wet I stop on a geologic timescale- this is why I go slow or even *walk* my bike down the steep hills when it's wet. Even when it's dry, sometimes, if a driver, pedestrian, or other biker makes a sudden move evasive action is faster, easier, and safer than trying to stop.

I almost got nailed by a guy who decied they really needed to take their left turn before I'd cleared the intersection. I'd been trying and failing to make eye contact with this bozo so I knew he was coming. I was braking but I was right at the bottom of the steep hill and there was no chance in hell I'd be stopping in time. So I turned with him instead. I've had to do the same thing with people who think they can take a free right on red while I'm in the intersection. Unfortunately, dancing with a car taking a free right sends me into the traffic lanes, where no one wants me. Fortunately, I haven't ben killed yet.

And my personal favorites are the idiots who don't know what blinkers are for. These assholes make me crazy no matter what mode of transportation I'm using, but it's especially scary on the bike because, due to the whole stopping distance thing, I need to plan. Not much, just a few seconds ahead, but those few seconds are the difference between a happy labrat and a bleeding one. In my car, I probably won't get hurt if someone pulls a fast one without any warning, but I still don't want the whole post-accident hassle.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 10:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Observations of a seasoned Road Warrior. Crotch Rockets, Missile Bikes, Choppers, Full Baggers, and of course everyday Motorcycles.

The nicer your ride the more likely you will be cut off, with the explanation I didn't see you. Shiny clean bikes turn invisible.

Rat Bikes will be seen not respected, you will still be cut off.

Choppers, with the locking chain worn like a bandolier of bullets gets a huge amount of respect, especially if the riders leathers have evidence of being used to keep ones skin on. Tall trooper boots help.

Full touring baggers are only seen when in groups of more than two, ride alone at your own peril.

Cage drivers only see a biker when he represents a danger to them, like the ability to kick the poop out of them.

Load pipes save lives, so do air horns, ability to make smoke like injecting oil into the exhaust will back off the tailgater. A bag of gravel for the ole lady to pour over her shoulder works wonders.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 12:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't ridden a pushbike for nearly twenty years...I wonder if the scars would still be there if I shaved off my moustache?

Anyway, I think a helmet cam would be very useful, both as a deterrent to selfish driving and for gathering evidence of it. Although, I think this one would make you look less of a knob than the first example:

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 17:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least you can grow a moustache.

Actually, mine are pretty subtle - you'd only notice if I pointed them out. And I don't.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 00:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
At least you can grow a moustache.

Actually, mine are pretty subtle - you'd only notice if I pointed them out. And I don't.

You have subtle moustaches?

edited

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 06:07      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often wondered about doing that - though my schemes at one point went as far to have proximity sensors on the bike, and take pictures of the number plates of cars that came closer than 6ft...

Some people think I'm a bit too excessive, but I cover my bike with lights - two blinking and two constant beam on the front, with two constant and one blinking on the back. I'll put the constant ones on during the day too. But they have drastically cut down the number of close shaves I've had, with pedestrians, cars and other bikes.

Some may also say I over use the bell, but I try and make sure it's always used as an audible warning device, from afar before and accident or near misses can occur, rather than sitting behind a pedestrian ringing frantically (or even worse coming to a rapid stop behind them once they walk out in front at the last minute).

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture