homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The Photographer’s Right

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Photographer’s Right
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 12:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Photographer’s Right

quote:
The Photographer’s Right is a downloadable guide that is loosely based on the Bust Card and the Know Your Rights pamphlet that used to be available on the ACLU website.
For the photographers in the audience, since some folks seem to be okay with Big Brother (CCTV, the Eye in the Sky, etc.) but have some sort of cerebral disconnect when it comes to people hanging around taking pictures of public places.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2008 12:30      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast, you thinking what I'm thinking??? WTH!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 14 posted July 11, 2008 19:46      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actualy I've downloaded the PDF and made several
copies a couple of years ago. I keep one in the
truck, one in the camera bag and one on me if I
think the situation warrants it. Never had to pull
it out though.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 09:52      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I carry a few of these in my camera bag. It's like my mom always told me, "Better to be safe than sorry", and since some people can get pretty belligerent when you try to tell them something, this helps a little.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 11:53      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I had no idea!!! I printed it as well. Thanks:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 15:47      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an interesting read.

I'm surprised that the various celebs that hate the constant paparazzi intrusion on their private lives haven't noticed the copyright law part. Essentially all they have to do is wear some clothing of their own design that they have copyright on and nobody can publish a photo of them wearing it without getting their permission first [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2008 16:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik wrote:
Essentially all they have to do is wear some clothing of their own design that they have copyright on and nobody can publish a photo of them wearing it without getting their permission first [Smile]

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. If it did, everyone would have to pay if their photos included cars, clothes, windows, doors, shoes, signs, handwriting, grafitti... basically anything and everything that's manufactured by anybody. Photography would be limited to wilderness areas where no man-made objects exist.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 12:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Zwilnik wrote:
Essentially all they have to do is wear some clothing of their own design that they have copyright on and nobody can publish a photo of them wearing it without getting their permission first [Smile]

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way. If it did, everyone would have to pay if their photos included cars, clothes, windows, doors, shoes, signs, handwriting, grafitti... basically anything and everything that's manufactured by anybody. Photography would be limited to wilderness areas where no man-made objects exist.

Funny...that accounts for ~40% of my pictures. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 14:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:

So you either really like natural photography or all your friends are nudists?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 19:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
dragonman97 wrote:

So you either really like natural photography or all your friends are nudists?

Hmm....definitely leaning towards the former. Then again, some bipeds walked in front of my camera while I was taking pictures of an awesome high tide at the beach yesterday, and they came out surprisingly well. However, regarding your second theory, it could prove interesting, but honestly, I saw a bit too much of one or two friends of friends yesterday that I might rather not have seen. (OTOH, that doesn't mean that sentiment applies to all!)

Oh, and if anyone without Y chromosomes wants to model with Cat-5 for a geek photographer and avoid trademark issues per Steen's overly careful guidelines, I might be amenable to that. Send test shots first, please! [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 20:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait...are you actually requesting naked girls to wrap themselves in Cat5 cable so you can take pictures of them?

Who are you and what did you do to dman?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2008 21:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Wait...are you actually requesting naked girls to wrap themselves in Cat5 cable so you can take pictures of them?

Who are you and what did you do to dman?

Bwhahahahahahaha...I have to have fun sometime, no? [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture