homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Get Opera. The best web experience.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Get Opera. The best web experience.
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 19, 2008 07:58      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I hope you help me in this contest!
Opera is running a contest to promote its latest version, ans as a faithful Opera fan I'm trying my best to promote it. Plus, they have a pretty neat incentive: a Wii.

So, what's the catch? I need to create an internet group to promote it.
I created a Facebook group in order to do so. If you're on Facebook and are interested just follow this link http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25809470394 and join the group.

Then again, the reason of the contest is to encourage you to get Opera. It's a fine browser that is worth trying and enjoying.

UPDATE: I've noticed that in Friday's Joy of Tech Opera was not featured, sad thing. So let me inform you that Opera 9.5, though not released with much fanfarre (after all it is a .5 improvement), managed to get 4.7 million downloads in its first five days.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2008 11:29      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for you, if you don't mind. My wife likes opera above and beyond the other available Mac browsers. She just upgraded to 9.5, but is still experiencing a problem with getting videos to play. Specifically, Yahoo! videos. I've got Flip4Mac installed on her system, along with Perian.

Also, I've got 9.5 on my system and have the same problem. Along with Flip4Mac and Perian, I've also got DivX installed.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 20, 2008 11:36      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try checking for faulty plugins and make sure they're up to date. Opera has several free support services if you want to use them: http://www.opera.com/support/

If you feel that your problem is bug related, there's a pretty simple wizard to file them: https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/

I've been informed that 9.51 is around the corner, bringing several fixes.

UPDATE: There're 58 people in the group at the time of this posting.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2008 14:35      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help. I've played with my prefs, and it seems to be an issue with the cash4.dat file. Trying to figure out how to handle that without having to hose the entire cache.

Quickly, do you know if this is an issue specific to Macs, or just us? [Confused]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 20, 2008 15:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not a known issue, but expect that if you reported it, it'll be fixed.

UPDATE: The group has 77 members at the time of this posting. Please join, and have the privilege to enjoy Opera.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 21, 2008 22:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIDNIGHT UPDATE:

The group has gathered 121 people, unfortunately Geek Culture seems absent. I'd like you to invite you once again because I feel connected with the community, and I don't feel it may hurt anyone's beliefs or sensibilities. Better, you get the opportunity to try something new.

I also forgot to post a link to the contest to make you well informed: http://my.opera.com/community/blog/tell-a-friend

So, I'm on IRC if you want to make any comments or suggestions. Bonsoir.

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 23:46      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Opera once. Somehow, I just go back to a Firefox nightly builds(Minefield). I don't want to hurt your feelings.
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2008 05:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember a lot of people here make their money from doing web stuff or computer stuff. It seems silly, but joining a facebook group is a public declaration of your beliefs, and could be seen as an affiliation or make them look biased.

I think Opera is cool, and anyone who switches from IE to Opera thanks to your group will be thankful. And I hope you win the Wii, but I'd rather not join.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2008 19:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Remember a lot of people here make their money from doing web stuff or computer stuff. It seems silly, but joining a facebook group is a public declaration of your beliefs, and could be seen as an affiliation or make them look biased.

I think Opera is cool, and anyone who switches from IE to Opera thanks to your group will be thankful. And I hope you win the Wii, but I'd rather not join.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 02:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
The group has gathered 121 people, unfortunately Geek Culture seems absent. I'd like you to invite you once again because I feel connected with the community, and I don't feel it may hurt anyone's beliefs or sensibilities. Better, you get the opportunity to try something new.

I quite like the idea of supporting a small software team from Norway, but I don't really see what advantages Opera has, and though this is of course subjective, my first impression is of a really quite ugly, and clunky looking navigation toolbar.

So IWTUAM, what do you think distinguishes Opera from the alternatives, and in particular from Firefox 3? Why do you prefer it?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 06:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
though this is of course subjective, my first impression is of a really quite ugly, and clunky looking navigation toolbar.

So IWTUAM, what do you think distinguishes Opera from the alternatives, and in particular from Firefox 3? Why do you prefer it?

-

-

I'm not seeing the clunkiness in Opera. [Smile]

Granted, I'm using a classic skin and I've customized my toolbar (which explains why I have those non-standard checkboxes on the right). The ability to customise the browser into what I want is one of the big attractions to using Opera for me. The ability to set permissions for specific web pages, as dragonman mentioned elsewhere, is another big attraction.

I use FireFox for Kingdom of Loathing and Neopets and a select few other sites because of the greasemonkey scripts, but most of the time I use Opera.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 07:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steen...Opera can run user scripts!

They're not 100% compatible, and it's kludgier, but it is possible. [Smile]

I use Opera for financial stuff, to make a clear boundary between web functions - there's no way something is going to get nabbed out of my Firefox cookies or whatnot. As such, I use it on a somewhat routine basis, and don't think it's shabby, but it's just not quite what I'm used to....and I rely a good deal on Web Developer Toolbar + Firebug + Greasemonkey. I know 9.5 is supposed to have created a handful of cool tools, but I'm simply partial to Firefox.

OTOH, Safari is an utter joke to me, and we just won't mention 'the other browser.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 07:20      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Opera. Use it on a daily basis.

Don't use Facebook, though. Sorry.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 07:48      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I know 9.5 is supposed to have created a handful of cool tools, but I'm simply partial to Firefox.

OTOH, Safari is an utter joke to me, and we just won't mention 'the other browser.'

Ok, I know why to stay away from the browser that shall not be named but why Safari? I have been using it since I got my Mac.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2008 12:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it's wimpy as hell, has little keyboard accessibility, and doesn't run the extensions that make my heart go pitter-patter.

I use it occasionally to print on Windows, because it's kind of nice for that, *except* I've found that it has issues with widows and orphans. Then again, maybe some people enjoy a bit of déjŕ vu in their reading.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 23, 2008 13:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry the delay in my response.
First take a look at the new Opera 9.5 default Skin, called Sharp.

-

The glasses on the left are a custom button for using IE's rendering when needed, predating IE Tab. If I need an specific item (say button, search bar, etc.) its interface it easily customizable, as simple as drag and drop.

Shortcuts and toolbars have their own profiles and is pretty easy to modify them. Proprietary doesn't mean inflexible, though the Open Source community claims the contrary.

The flagship of Opera is its commitment to standards compliance, with their cooperation with the W3C. It was the first multiplatform browser to pass Acid2 and so far, it's the best scoring one in the Acid3 test with a score of 83/100. Firefox 3.1 is not yet stable and only reaches 80. Opera's development builds reach 100/100, a feat only matched by WebKit.

Security is also a great concern and the browser provides Fraud and Malware protection. It also lets you block undesired content in a way FF took a whole new revision to match. The no extensions system is a plus in security and less bloat, and standards compliance makes finding security holes easier.

Lacking extensions, you expect Opera to have more stuff built in. And it does. Aside from the UserJS support which is supposed to be browser independent, given it is a standard, it includes clients for BitTorrent, POP, IMAP, IRC and News Groups, to mention some. You can get Widgets to help you in simple tasks or entertain you. Hmm, and still the installer is pretty compact compared to what FF offers right out of the box.

Opera Link is a new feature that lets you remotely sync your bookmarks, Speed Dial settings, notes and personal bar with any Opera installation no matter if desktop or mobile.

Well, FF seems to been catching up with that and has been making their own implementations of Opera's features: tabs, password and personal information management, Awesomebar, I mean, Quick Find, and even some strings.

Given its standards compliance and lack of extensions bloat the browser is focused to be VERY fast and memory efficient, and it delivers pretty well. I hope they release proper benchmarks soon. Oh! A proper benchmark!

For developers, Opera has started development in Dragonfly, an alpha version ships with the browser. They also have a dedicated site for them.

Thinking about it, Opera doesn't seem quite dissimilar to Macs.

Seems I covered all bases. Have a nice day.

UPDATE: Group has 132 members at the time of this posting, I hope I'm not peaking. There are only Spanish speakers ATM but I made an English translation from the beginning thinking on the GC members I'd be getting some support. I appreciate the outsider support also. Thanks again!

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 24, 2008 22:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIDNIGHT UPDATE:

The group has gathered 149 members. I've uploaded a thematic drawing for the Group, I'm uploading it to my profile (both Facebook and Geek Culture) too. If things keep going as expected, I'll be winning this contest by the 7th of July. Hope you read my previous comment, it includes some useful information about this great browser.
Best wishes,

Richard Wolf VI (formerly iWanToUseaMac).

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2008 04:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you change your name??? Where has your love gone for Mac? Traitor [shake head]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 25, 2008 10:39      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Why did you change your name??? Where has your love gone for Mac? Traitor [shake head]

I'm still a Mac evangelist, and my feelings toward Steve have not changed at all. But in the light of recent events, including this one, I better get a handle that describes me better [Smile]

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 02, 2008 07:53      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MORNING UPDATE:

Just checked Facebook (my mom wants me away from the computer) and we've got 175 people in the group. So, which Wii titles would you recomend aside the mandatory Nintendo ones and Resident Evil 4 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 08:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI:
MORNING UPDATE:

Just checked Facebook (my mom wants me away from the computer) and we've got 175 people in the group. So, which Wii titles would you recomend aside the mandatory Nintendo ones and Resident Evil 4 [Big Grin]

I suppose that depends on whether you're going to share the Wii time with everyone...

(And that pretty much sums up my distaste for such solicitation)

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 02, 2008 08:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, c'mon! I was just meaning that I'm very optimistic to win this contest. Still, I guess the Wii is staying at the family's house, since I haven't got any AV receiver of any kind in Bogotá [Frown]

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2008 04:56      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pick this game!

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 04, 2008 07:21      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
Pick this game!

It seems kinda dull IMHO. I'd like one with more user interaction, do you have any reviews on it?

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture