homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Big Buck Bunny: Open Source Animation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Buck Bunny: Open Source Animation
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 19:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Big Buck Bunny is a short 3D animation made entirely with Open Source software. It was recently completed and released, and you can download or torrent it for free in up to 1080p resolution. It's also on Vimeo and YouTube.

It's a cool story, and great-looking. I was particularly interested because it shows off the capabilities of Blender, my 3D package of choice. The open source model is interesting too; not only is the software open source but you can also download the files that were used to make it. I plan to get the DVD which contains all these files (there's also a torrent); I imagine I'll learn a lot from it.

It's a great example of what can be done with OSS, an impressive achievement for a small team with a short schedule and a fun way to spend 10 minutes.

Edit: Oh, and keep a lookout for the Apricot project; a game made in a similar way. Of course, when you get the DVD for the game, you get binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows as well as all the source and assets. Awesome. Don't know when it'll be completed, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 02, 2008 20:41      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it. I can see it competing in the major leagues.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2008 02:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very impressive, both technically and artistically.

[Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2008 04:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is AWESOME!!! [Applause]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 04, 2008 08:20      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it on YouTube the same day the topic opened and promptly downloaded the 720p version. 640K isn't enough for everyone, ladies and gentlemen.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2008 17:55      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I was at a friend's place today, he has a tv that can take vga input, so we hooked up the laptop and watched it on youtube on the TV. It was great, we both really really enjoyed it.

Really cool promotion for blender and what it can do as well.

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 09, 2008 06:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was cool! Admittedly, I don't know much about the technical aspect of it, but I'm quite impressed nonetheless! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture