homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The Truth is now out there

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Truth is now out there
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 14, 2008 23:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The British start to release their X-Files... due to the deluge of requests.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/14/spaceexploration.military

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 02:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool.
Any word on what this is?

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 10:57      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Cool.
Any word on what this is?

-

FUSIONMAN!

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 11:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard an interview with this guy on the radio today...congratulations to a complete nutter. To sum up his experience - jumping out of the plane to start the flight and then landing using a two-stage parachute are both "a bit tricky". But in between you get eight minutes of rocket powered madness!!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 15, 2008 12:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buzz Lightyear lives! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 13:52      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks fun. Also ridiculously scary. But the important thing is I thought fun first?

Video of jet-powered-hang-glider-man in action...

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2008 17:13      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks photoshopped, but that takes some serious guts if it's real.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 17:27      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meta

that is most certainly not 'shopped - the guy has been all over the UK media the last couple of days and it is real...

He is a Swiss and appears to be a total head case determined to make this thing go to the edge - I heard him on the radio saying he would love to be able to take off from the ground but it is just "too dangerous" and next time he wants to go for a "loop the loop" (madman [Smile] )

Brilliantly obsessed I think - how cool is that though

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2008 18:36      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bokeh just looks sort of weird, which was what made me think it might have been.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2008 09:22      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "weirdness" you are referring to is the visual distortion created by the thermal exhaust... after all the guy has 4 jets on that thing running at near full throttle....

But if it hadn't been plastered all over UK media I think I might have been pretty sceptical myself TBH..

[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1935 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture