homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Happy birthday to the iMac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy birthday to the iMac
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 14:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 10 years since the iMac was released, Steve Job's huge gamble to save the then-ailing Apple Computer Company.

-

My local paper has re-printed this article from 10 years ago. I'd forgotten how much of what we now take for granted in computers was seen as weird and risky back then.

quote:
From TFA:
With a translucent plastic cover and matching peek-a-boo panels on the contoured keyboard and mouse, this deep green and white wedge has undeniable appeal. This is geek chic - George Jetson meets Giorgio Armani. Apple has suddenly remembered how to use style as a weapon to distinguish itself from PCs....

...Beneath the iMac's aqua case beats a PowerPC G3 chip, 233MHz with 512Kb level 2 cache...

...The G3 can out-gallop even a 400MHz Pentium II, according to the boffins. With a 4Gb hard drive, 32Mb of main memory and 2Mb of graphics RAM (both upgradable), 15-inch colour screen, 24 speed CD-ROM and built-in stereo speakers, the iMac is certainly no slouch...

...That the iMac can use the same USB devices as Windows will be a boon for manufacturers, retailers and shoppers, once the USB drought breaks. At the moment there's nothing but a handful of scanners, mice and digital cameras sporting USB connections. Apple is clearly hoping the USB wave will break with the release of the USB-ready Windows 98 in June...

...Also missing are serial ports ... and a printer port. To print from your iMac you'll need to find a USB printer (don't bother looking, right now there are none).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 06, 2008 15:31      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ten years already? I hope it only gets better!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 16:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But... but.... where's the floppy drive?! [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2008 16:17      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this will be an easy day for me to remember. Today is my son's birthday. He just turned 13. I can hardly believe the iMac has been around 10 years. Now I'll have to go home and sing happy birthday to my son and my iMac.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 06, 2008 16:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today Windows XP Service Pack 3 was released to public. Yay?

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 12:46      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an article on the history of the iMac. I have to agree with the author. The flower power iMac looks terrible.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2008 13:06      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
Here is an article on the history of the iMac. I have to agree with the author. The flower power iMac looks terrible.

That second picture used to be a poster I had on my wall in my old room.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 14:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
The flower power iMac looks terrible.

Jonny Ive on LSD?

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 16:58      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is cool news, but it's also making me feel old... [ohwell]

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture