homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » (GAS) Prices (STINK) ! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: (GAS) Prices (STINK) !
1lear
Newbie Larva
Member # 16679

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 22, 2008 15:05      Profile for 1lear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm MAD -everytime you look around Gas Prices are going Up and Up. It's really a shame and never have the words Pay at the Pump carried so much weight, because I gave a guy $20 dollars for my Gas last night and I barely pumped 4 gallons. I think anyone working within 50 miles of their job this summer will become very athletic due to walking and riding bikes. Here's a great tool to use until then Gas Price Checker it will help a lot until something better comes along.

--------------------
Funniest Damn Website Around
Learn PHP by Examples

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2008 15:52      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello 1lear, please don't take offence at this question, but you are not here to spam that web site are you? If you talk something up by calling it the "funniest damn web site around", I'd expect to see something quite individual at the least, but though it isn't bad, there's nothing to distinguish it from a slew of other humour sites. Please forgive the question as I am a little sensitive on this matter, because we have had a few spammers here in the past and they are rather wearisome.

Just asking...

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 23, 2008 12:47      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damnit, looks like it's just spam for some lame comedy site. Exactly what I need right now, to feel even more like a dope and sucker.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 13:03      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a spreadsheet to keep track of my fuel economy (in Miles per gallon) in the bus. So far I've only put 5 tanks of gas in this year. The most beautiful thing about numbers and statistics, though, is that you can play with them and combine them to come up with new (and mildly useful) information. Also, you can graph things... [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 13:12      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it that you only filled up 5 times this year? I burn like two tanks a week. It's draining my wallet, and it sucks:( You must work out of home, eh?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 13:31      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bus is strictly recreational, it doesn't get driven much. Mostly, I drive the bus to class and back, or to go grocery shopping. It's not reliable enough to drive for work (and it overheats when you drive over 60MPH!) so I drive my Buick for all my work stuff, which is the majority of my driving.

Also, I just got the bus out of winter storage on April 5th. Click Here for that story, and pix.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 13:34      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas is only $3.60 a gallon in MI?

It's like $8 here.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 13:52      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's quite a story MacManKrisK!!! And quite a ride, btw, I bet you get all the girls when you pull up in that bad beast, eh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nuclear Doughnut
Geek Larva
Member # 16341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 15:08      Profile for Nuclear Doughnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn your lucky... I'm going to have to scrap my truck cause diesel here is 4.20 a gallon... I have a 50 gallon tank...

Diesel prices are out of wack when diesel is less refined than gas...

I'm probably going to have to go to *gulp somthing other than my beastly truck... [Frown]

I need to find a cheap vehicle fairly soon... I hate paying over 200$ (US) for a tank when I only get 10-12 miles per gallon

Posts: 21 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 15:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
I bet you get all the girls when you pull up in that bad beast, eh? [Big Grin]

Yeah, I wish. Mostly they just laugh at me...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 16:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ MMKK Okay playing with charts and graphs. With My truck burning Mid-grade it gets 15MPG, however for a dime more a gallon it gets 20MPG well worth the dime. On our Van burning the cheap stuff it gets 19/20MPG and on mid-grade 22/23MPG still worth the dime. With our motor home burning any fuel Cheap or not it gets about 6MPG. However if we fuel it with a brand that does not contain any alcohol (Shell & Texaco) the mileage then jumps to 7.5MPG Now I have found that by burning a non alcohol fuel with the Van and the mileage is 21.7MPG I have not tested the mileage with mid grade non alcohol fuels yet. Note the motor home has a carb. and the Van and the pickup both have Fuel Injection with O2 sensors for fuel trim.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 18:22      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the guys here at work laughed at me when I bought my little Geo metro.

No power they said. 3 cylinder is for sisies they cried. HA. Double ha. Got it just before gas prices started spiking.

Now they say, OMG my truck costs so much to run. How will i afford to drive to work they cry.

hehehehehehe.

I fill up once every 8 or 9 days.

I love my little geo. putt-putt-putt-putt

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 19:46      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Harley is getting 50 mpg right now. It's a '93 Evo with a high-torque cam, screaming eagle plugs & coil, lo-pressure pipes, plus some carb work on the Keihn.

The i-Vtech Honda Si gets 34 MPG Hwy and up to 26 mpg city if I resist the temptation to flog it.

Both rides are paid for by the 2001 Trek 7300 commuter scooter. It gets 10 miles to 1/4 cup of Oat bran and a protein shake. Fifty miles alone every week just for work trips. Saves on the gym membership, too.

The '73 Schwinn Paramount fixed gear has been refurbished. It gets 25 miles to the bannana and a couple of bourbon cask aged tripplebocks down at The Livery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbqGLTuX_s&feature=related

The compact cape cod 's highest gas bill was $110 in January, here in Glacier Melt, Michigan, running a Rheem 94.1 AFUE 2-stage HE condensation furnace.

Get a clue, folks, Dick Cheney is moving to Dubai and energy ain't getting cheaper.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2008 22:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Rodriguez Mirage does about as well as your Trek CP, minus the protein shake. And it takes the oat bran in the form of Nature Valley bars. The Ditch Dog gets worse mileage. Mountain bikes are like that though. Especially old, heavy ones that got resurrected out of ditches.

The '82 Subaru gets ~30 mpg if I go with the mid-range gas, a bit less with the cheapest option. It also gets...fussy with the cheapest gas. So the extra dime is worth it in terms of both mileage and peace of mind for me. It might be even happier with the most expensive gas, but for the love of god, it's an '82 Subaru with scales a previous owner painted on it. I feel silly enough tanking it up with the mid-range.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 01:21      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
April 23, 2008 12:47
[Mad]   Damnit, looks like it's just spam for some lame comedy site.

Thank you.

If your review discourages dozens (or even hundreds) from visiting a lame site that uses spam, then your sacrifice has not been in vain.

Ironically, a second person's sacrifice visiting the lame site a second time in order to write a second review would not be useful.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 03:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Well to me the rich folk decided to spread the gap. Lets make every thing so expensive that the little folk can't afford to have hummers.

Fishing buddies, now I use an old pontoon with a fifteen horsepower motor it will run all day on 18 gallons. Buddy one, 42 foot cigarette boat we don't go fishing with that. Buddy two 42, foot cigarette boat with 9 small 2.5 liter engines, it will troll on one engine, it has hydraulic drives, go all day on fifty gallons. Now both of those boats will do over the century mark. Does that ever look weird out in the bay with the gear rigged and trolling.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 05:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM65816 wrote:
Ironically, a second person's sacrifice visiting the lame site a second time in order to write a second review would not be useful.

Ironic? You're related to Alanis Morissette, aren't you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 07:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drive 100km one way to work. It sucks. Filling my little car is costing me $60 tank. Fortunately, right before the recent spike (it's at ~$1.20 CAD/L right now), I bought a new car. It gets significantly better mileage than my Nissan did. It NEEDS 91 octane or higher gas though, which puts me at $1.30 CAD/L.

Fortunately, it gets north of 30mpg, so I still only fill it less than twice a week.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 08:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was still in So. Cal, I would could get onto the bandwagon.

But now with a commute of about 40 steps or so to the basement, I am much less concerned.

My girl has a Liberty that get about 20MPG when you play nice with it. But with her 5 minute commute, it isn't exactly breaking the bank.

But since we still are driving back to Riverside County every month or two, we are going to be bringing my Hyundai back up to proper shape for the drives. At 28-32 MPG it will save us a decent amount of green on those drives through the desert of Nevada.

And once I get the '59 Ford up here and back on the road. I am not even going to bother measuring my economy in any way other than by counting how many gas stations I can pass before a refill.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 09:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
It NEEDS 91 octane or higher gas though, which puts me at $1.30 CAD/L.

Would you believe I paid over $1.40 CAD/l for diesel? That's downwright nuts. Even when they had the "new lower-sulfur regulations" excuse, it was about 5 cents above regular fuel; now it's over 15 cents. Gaz stations keep the fuel price as low as they can because it's the one shown, but raise the diesel's to make up for it.

BUT... despite that trickery, nobody ever managed to make me pay 21$ for a fill (yet - it's probably coming soon). And I use less than one tank in a month, two and a half when I go over my parent's. (All right, I also take the bus to work and back. And I didn't wait to be near-empty on my last fill. But still.) I love my smart car and its diesel engine, and they won't make me change my mind.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 19:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CAD$21? What's the exchange rate? Even at 2-1, that's cheaper that what I've been paying.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 19:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It costs me about $A60 ($US 57) to fill the tank of my little Hyundai, that lasts me 2 weeks (but only just, last time I filled up I put 44.6 litres in my 45 litre tank). A workmate who drives one of those frackin' stupid Urban Assault Vehicles is spending $90/week at the moment.

btw - do other countries have the "weekly price cycle"?
Here in oz, Tuesday is the cheapest day to buy petrol, it jumps by about 10-12 cents on Wednesday, then drops 1 or 2 cents a day until the next Wednesday. No-one has ever provided a rational explanation for this.

Stereo: Diesel used to be a lot cheaper than petrol here in oz, in recent years that's changed, it's now about 10-12 cents/litre more expensive. When it was only truck drivers and farmers who used it, it was cheap, now that luxury car drivers are buying the stuff, the price has gone up.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 24, 2008 19:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
CAD$21? What's the exchange rate? Even at 2-1, that's cheaper that what I've been paying.

My tank is a meager 20 litres, and I usually fill it when there is 2-6 litres left. So of course, a normal tank (usually between 40-60 litres) will cost a lot more than that to fill.

(And the exchange rate is around 1:1.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 14:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another reason to drive small cars...

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
1lear
Newbie Larva
Member # 16679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 03:57      Profile for 1lear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the inquiring minds the post was not to spam the website for it is in the signature for those maybe seeking laughter or some easy php instructions.

The gas tool is a very helpful tool in these economic times that I truly use and people I know use who want to save a few dollars. For those who have more than enough money where price comparison doesn't matter this bit of information would be useless and thus the information was not directed at them.

To attack and call the website lame is acceptable for that is your opinion but it would be more representative of a civil culture to express the opinion more constructively. As expressed in the mission statement of the site , is the knowledge that we have a diverse funny bone and what one person will love another will hate. Thats why the aim of this particular site is to expand with diverse humor aimed material. Rather than reducing to the status of cheap hecklers , an expression of what you may like to be included could have been voiced. We have a propensity to attack one another just for the sake of attack even when it is not warranted and thats a shame.

I guess its just a sad but true reflection of the world we live in.

The tool was offered legitimately and is a great tool. Personally I use coupons too but would be hesitant to direct some individuals to some great sites for those due to the risk of being harangued further.

Thanks

--------------------
Funniest Damn Website Around
Learn PHP by Examples

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture