homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » This thing is huge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This thing is huge
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 05:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Hi all My stepson gave me an IBM Intellistation PC 1.7GHz Xeon processor, 800MHz bus and Ultra-wide and fast SCSI drives this thing screams,running 32Bit programs seems under utilizing this thing but I guess I will have to wait until OSes and programs catch up to this things capabilities. There are ten drive bays, two sixteen port SCSI Channels
and the standard IDE/ATA plugs and a legacy A/B floppy port, The Video card has it's own cooling fan. I'll probably kick off of old age before
this thing won't support Ham software. Oh the build date was 2001. I'm happy with the acquire.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 06:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
this thing screams,running 32Bit programs seems under utilizing this thing but I guess I will have to wait until OSes and programs catch up to this things capabilities

*cough* Debian*cough*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2008 06:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ TFD Right now I am trying to acquire some more SCSI drives so I can populate this thing. I Just changed out the ATA CD-ROM stuff with SCSI drives and am looking through my old mac stuff for drives that will run on the drive bus. I plan to have several Ham Distro's installed by the end of the month, right now it has XP/Pro, Ubuntu 610, Fildigi(puppy), Ham Shack Knoppix, Slak. The plan is to then set up a boot floppy that I can boot from, to choose the right OS for what I want to do. I think that this thing has enough guts to run Mac in emulation and still seem fast.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture