homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Monday Mono - duct tape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monday Mono - duct tape
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 08:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I've been slacking on the Friday Five thing. Yesterday my daughter and I cut daffodils. She managed to crush the stems and make them limp on the way into the house. However later in the afternoon, I caught her with the duct tape. She had carefully duct taped all the limp stems, so they would stand up in the vase.

So what is the craziest thing you ever used duct tape for? (please keep it clean. LOL)

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 09:37      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some on the ripped tongues of my vegan Doc Martens style boots. At $125 a pair I'm not ready to buy another pair, and the duct tape gives them character!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a budding engineer Aditu!

I've used duct tape to hold a pair of recalcitrant crampons to my boots.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 10:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Duct tape I keep a roll under the seat of the dirt bike. Does wonders for holding on loose bits that have lost their screws, Also leathers get torn and once we taped up (splinted) a guys leg so he could ride out, to the trail head.

I would bet that it would work for wound closure until you got out of trouble.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2008 17:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it don't stick and it should use Duct Tape...

if if sticks when it shouldn't use WD-40...

that is all there is apparently [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CoyoteSD39
Geek Larva
Member # 10138

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2008 08:44      Profile for CoyoteSD39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several elementary schools in my county/school district have recently held fund-raisers featuring duct tape. You would buy a length of duct tape that would then be used to duct tape the principal to the wall. I work for the local paper, and in one week, we had three schools request photographers to take pictures.

--------------------
Ack. Hairball.

Posts: 29 | From: In the Heart of the Seven Mountains | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 03, 2008 19:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just the usual... patches to wallet, truck, jeans, gloves, shoes, glacier shades for sunglasses. My fave stuff is the black "gaffer's tape".
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 10:02      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weirdest I've done isn't that odd - just a bit of tape and a klennex for an improvised bandaid.

I'm with Snaggy - gaffer's tape beats normal duct tape hands down! Of course it is more expensive.

I also love to aluminum foil tape. Works great for stove-pipes, chimneys, BBQs, parabolic reflectors, high-temp areas and even ducts!

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2008 14:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh Doco...

now we are talking - real Ally "steam sealing" tape is a whole world away from duct or gaffa tape (good as those may be for very many things) - Sticks like the proverbial, is totally burn proof and never ever budges once it is on...

Just watch the edges - they can slice you open like a razor - as I am sure you are only too aware ...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture