homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Idol puts Jeff Buckley at #! on itunes!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Idol puts Jeff Buckley at #! on itunes!!
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 10, 2008 14:52      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Castro's American Idol performance of Halleluja, along with Simon Cowell's mention that it was Jeff's version, has put Jeff Buckley's single at the top of itunes downloads.

Halleluja!! How cool is that?

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 10, 2008 15:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How cool is that?

I'm thinking American Idol isn't very cool, but wadda I know, I'm just a geek. [evil]

What's cooler is that snupy is posting again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 15:42      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant it's cool that a whole new generation are being turned on to Jeff Buckley, even if it is through American Idol!

I have to admit, Idol, X-Factor(the British version) and Beauty and the Geek are guilty pleasures of mine. [blush]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 16:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that Leonard Cohen's song? (he wrote it)

Personally, I'm not crazy about the song, but Leonard does it best IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI&feature=related

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 16:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Buckley was the first of a fair few to cover it, and his version is my favourite above even Cohen's original. I can't stand K.D. Laing's over the top histrionic take on the song.

And yes we all feel honoured and humbled to find the mighty Snupestress in our midst again. [Wink]

It's been too long sweetie pie, how are you? Are you still bringing joy to Leeds and its immediate surrounds. Do you still like it here in the UK?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 17:59      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Cally! Yes, Jeff's version is my fave, too.I don't care for Cohen's-too unemotional and slow.

I'm still living in Leeds. I love the British people, but I can't say I'm thrilled with the government. I thought America was screwed up! Going through my Visa paperwork for the 3rd time hasn't helped my view of the civil service here, either! And don't get me started on so-called customer service in this country(or the food)! I do love the more laid-back attitude here, and I've met some really wonderful people. I live kind of in the country, in a small village, so I love the quiet.

I miss home, though, sometimes...

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 19:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi snupy!

Rufus Wainwright does a nice version too. I love that song.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 12:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snupy

Here in the UK we developed the laid-back attitude specifically to cope with the government, the food, the civil service etc [Big Grin]

...but anyway... it has to be Kathryn Williams' version of Hallelujah for me. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 13:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
And don't get me started on so-called customer service in this country

I'm reminded of an English comedian commenting on his recent trip to the USA...

quote:
The English are much more sincere than Americans.

In America, the waitresses and shop staff are always smiling and telling you to "Have a nice day" but you know they don't really mean it.

In England, they snarl and tell you to fsck off, and you know they mean it!

<sincere>Good to see you back Snupy, have a nice day</sincere>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 16:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think actually TFD that it's just a hang over from when we used to be such a class ridden society. Then there was too much deference and subservience, so now too many people feel demeaned if they have to serve anyone, which is stupid.

I hope we will eventually grow out of it.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 17:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Hi snupy!

Rufus Wainwright does a nice version too. I love that song.

I bought the Shrek soundtrack at Goodwill last week (I had asked for it for Christmas a few years ago, but my mom bought the orchestral soundtrack by accident). The lyrics to Hallelujah are interesting, now that I've had a chance to listen to it several times. I'm not sure what I think of them. I really like the tune, though. It's wonderful to harmonize with.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 06:34      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I think actually TFD that it's just a hang over from when we used to be such a class ridden society. Then there was too much deference and subservience, so now too many people feel demeaned if they have to serve anyone, which is stupid.

I hope we will eventually grow out of it.

So, it's not just me then? I was thinking maybe I expected too much being from America where customer service, while not 100% great all the time, is pretty darn good! Actually, I never realized how good until I moved here!

My husband and I were sitting within earshot of another couple at a popular pub/restaurant a couple months back, and the food had been really sub-par, even though it's usually fine. (My hubby, who is British through and through and therefore NEVER complains, actually sent something back). The woman starts complaining about the food, which she has sent back twice-once for being raw and then again for being burnt to a crisp. She says, "I've spent a few months in America, and they wouldn't tolerate this over there, and I'm sorry, but this just isn't acceptable". I went up to her before we left and gave her a pat on the back. British people just don't like to complain-they just sit by and take it when the service is horrible, food is not what they ordered, they've been on hold 45 minutes, whatever...they just suck it up. Weird....

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 07:51      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Snupes, and it's not just America. Go anywhere else in Europe and you'll find things better than here. It's just one of our national hang ups.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture