homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Gary Gygax died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gary Gygax died
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 9 posted March 04, 2008 13:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad to see him go.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 14:48      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, guess he failed the final "saving throw" [Frown]

haven't really thought about him in years... can't say I agreed with the dude on a lot of stuff - but whatever I thought I have to give him the credit for starting something that made my late teens and early 20s bearable and fun...

I still own a BD&D "Blue Book" and AD&D PHB, DMG, MM, MMII, FF, UA (bloody rubbish that one), DSG, L&L and a whole shelf load more - such as Character Guides etc. - even did work on publishing some of those... (at the printing end, not the writing!)

Anyway - sad to see him go - whatever I think of how he viewed the RPG game and vision without him I wouldn't have an opinion to voice!

RIP GG - and enjoy whatever outer plane you end up on!

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2008 18:52      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me casts a resurection spell

damn... didn't work

fare thee well Gary, you've made your mark on the world.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2008 11:29      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met him at Gen Con UK 2000 in Manchester where he had been invited.

I think we spent about 2 minutes talking about RPGs and then almost an hour talking about Europe and especially Switzerland.
You see Gygax is a Swiss name, Gary's father was Swiss, and it originates in one small village in the central part. Every so often they have a Gygax family reunion and Gary wanted to go.

I have his signature in the front of my D&D 3.0 PHB and the following comment:
"From a would be Swiss Mercenary to a real one - E.Gary Gygax"

He was a really nice person to me and I regret that he has now left us.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2008 13:18      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the impact his game had on my brothers. They had begun to dabble in the world of Avalon Hill war games, but D& D... that was the ticket for them. Gygax made a real difference in the lives of a bunch of outsider boys like my brothers.
My mom gets props to for driving my brothers and their friends to Columbus, OH to get D& D stuff back in the 1970s when small town stores didn't know what you were talking about. Other mothers used to cringe at the idea of having a gaggle of rowdy nerds filling their house. My mom always said she knew where her boys were and what they were doing.
Too cool to have met him in person.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2008 17:09      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Damn, guess he failed the final "saving throw" [Frown]

Not for lack of trying tho....

-

Courtesy of xkcd

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture