homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Paris

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paris
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 20:31      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a week I have my march break and plan on visiting family in Holland. But on the way I'm stopping in Paris for a couple days.

Besides the obvious (louvre, arch de triumph, eifel tower) what are the top sites that should be seen in downtown Paris?

*sorry for any spelling mistakes - it's late and just got done a shit load of projectile question.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2008 21:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montmarte.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 00:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Xanth on Monmartre, , it has all the street artists there. I would recomend seeing Sacré-Cœur more than Notre Dame if you want to see and old church. It is worth the walk up.

I also recomend going to the top of the arc but not the eifle tower. The Arc is much less expensive to go up and has a much better view of paris. (it is at the end of the Champs-Élysées, go at night). If you go to the Eifel tower, view it from Trocadéro. (There is a metro stop called Trocadéro.) Most guide books will send you to a closer metro stop but then you are right underneath the tower and do not have a very good view so close up. (all those famous photos you have seen of the twoer are from Trocadéro).

What out for the beggers/ street people. they work in teams and are very good at pressuring you. I have a blog post about that from some time ago.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 03:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are planning to visit the Musée d'Orsay either get there when it opens, or be prepared to queue. It is worth it though, and if you have to choose just one major museum, this is my recommendation.

On the whole though I prefer small museums, that don't leave you exhausted at the end of a visit and have more personality. I love the Musée de Cluny for its central exhibit, the beautiful and mysterious Lady & the Unicorn tapestry. I also love the Musée Picasso. Before my first visit I knew little more than his reputation, and the museum really turned me on to him. So much energy, life and bubbling fizzing creativity! It is a really inspiring place.

It would be a shame if your visit to Paris did not include a good restaurant if you can stretch to it. I haven't been there for a while but the Brasserie Bofinger is a really nice restaurant in a beautiful & historic building. It is of course cheaper to eat there at lunchtime rather than in the evening.

On a general note, it is far too easy to spend all your money in Paris very quickly, so don't go mad! Paris is still one of the most beautiful cities in the world and I enjoy just walking around it without any particular destination. You will have a wonderful time.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 08:23      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Louvre, but look in a guide to see what you want to see and plan out your visit. Unless you want to go several days.

One of my favourite photos was taken by lying on my back underneath the Tower and shooting up into the framework. It is too cool. The Arc is great, but taking your life into your own hands for the traffic unless that has improved.

Take a bus out to Versailles too

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 11:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

The Arc is great, but taking your life into your own hands for the traffic unless that has improved.

Didn't you know there is a tunnel that leads out to the circle?

from wikipedia
quote:
Pedestrian access to the Arc de Triomphe is via an underpass. Dodging the Paris traffic on the roundabout that surrounds the arc is not recommended.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 15:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...funny, when I think of Paris, tunnels, and safety, I don't see them as being one and the same...

/looks_at_spungo

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 29, 2008 16:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taken on that fateful night...

-

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2008 06:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No tunnel when I was there in the dark ages. It is great the there is one now.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture