homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Some very sad news. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Some very sad news.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 24, 2008 18:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann just brought some very sad news to our attention, forum member Too Cool To Quit died last year.

http://www.newsargus.com/obituaries/archives/2007/03/05/jesse_d_barwick/index.shtml

Such sad, sad news, especially since he was so young and really just starting out on life. Jes (he also went by Dylan) was always really supportive of our work, and fun to chat with on IRC.

Our hearts go out to his family. [Frown]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 24, 2008 19:44      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! and it took a year to get the news.... that is sad. Sad...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2008 19:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's terrible.

I found something here. Not sure if it's accurate or not.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 24, 2008 20:18      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] How absolutely awful.
Taco was always so much fun in IRC. Hadn't seen him in awhile, but it seems we all take turns dropping out for a bit. Damn.

Thanks for letting us know Snaggy and uilleann, and thank you mmb for messaging me.

[weep]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2008 20:43      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad. Too young. No words to describe the reaction when this happens.

Rest in peace, Taco.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2008 22:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap...I was just asking about him the other day on IRC (hadn't seen him in awhile...). Damn.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2008 22:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adolescence is a difficult time, it's a miracle any of us make it out alive.
Some of us don't.

Sad, very sad.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 24, 2008 23:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I have no words... [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 24, 2008 23:39      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just so sad. I had begun to wonder where he was because I hadn't seen him around in a long while.

Thanks for letting us know guys.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 04:57      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That poor, poor boy and his family. [Frown] ... how truly awful. Taco will be sorely missed around these parts.
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 05:21      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy fucking shit.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 06:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How awful, how sad. What a waste. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 06:34      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
angryjungman texted me with the info while I was driving to work this morning and all I could think was holy shit. Life can be so startingly unpredictable.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. So sad.

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 07:12      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another terribly sad note: Taco's last post on the boards was on the very day he died. It is frightening to think that, if what CommanderShroom referred to is accurate, any one of us could have tried to help, had only we known. [Frown]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 08:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________________ There are so many facets to this and how each of us react. Pray in your own way, if you do not pray, let us each remember him, in your own way.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 25, 2008 08:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so sad, although I haven't knew him well.
I never thought something like that could happen.
This is quite shaking for me.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 25, 2008 09:27      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dylan was my best friend for a very long time. He showed up in my life just when I most needed him. He was so young, and in some ways I felt like a mentor to him, and yet in many ways he became a mentor to me. He was, as he used to say, wise beyond his ears. [Happytears]

I really miss his southern drawl. Even though I had, in a way, suspected something had happened to him, it's hard to admit that there's no way I can phone him up and talk anymore. I guess I can take some comfort in knowing that he left a bit of a legacy on the Internet.

His podcast's website: http://www.nocommentrock.com is still up, though the hostname expires March 3rd. uilleann drew the splash page for the website, just fyi. Some of us have a few of his recordings. If anyone has any of his recordings please send me a PM so I can retrieve them from you. I have the login to his website, so I can put the MP3s right on nocommentrock.com for everyone to download.

I would like to put together a memorial podcast, hopefully with voices from other GC members (and any non-GC members that are interested (Snaggy, please inform uilleann of this project)) as well. We can use any songs of his that we collect and produce it into one final No Comment Rock Radio. So far I have: "Nothing In Sight But the Walls," "A Taco for the 2 M's and K's," and "Ridin' in my Volkswagen Microbus." The last two were songs that he wrote specifically for me and I want to include them.

As far as the hostname issue, Dylan gave me my hostname: heavenlypeace.net because he said he believed in the work I wanted to do with it. It feels only fair to me that I, then, take over his hostname in return for the generosity he showed me. However, it would feel even more appropriate if, somehow, we could set up a perpetual trust to handle it so the website could be forever online, as a memorial to Dylan. With time so limited, though, before it expires, I think it only fair that I take care of it. However, I've never dealt with DNS companies and hosting companies, so any advice on how to keep his domain from getting gobbled up by a parking company would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Dylan, wherever you are, if you can read this, know how much your presence here will be missed.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 25, 2008 09:47      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was very saddened by this news, being so young with his life just beginning, it's maddening. My heart goes out to his family who must be devasted. [weep]

MacManKrisK, that's a very good idea.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 09:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. It never seems quite real when someone you knew, online or off-, dies. I didn't talk with him a lot, but I always enjoyed his posts. He definitely left this world too soon.
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 09:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, while poking around in the underbelly of the website, I found a 5th podcast that he never published. It, notedly, has a different tone to it than the rest.

http://www.nocommentrock.com/broadcast/ncbc005.mp3

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 25, 2008 10:17      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] I'm shocked. He was too young to die.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 12:30      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always a shame when someone's life ends so early. If the other information is true, it's been particularly hard on his friends and family. They are in my prayers.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 17:30      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Also, while poking around in the underbelly of the website, I found a 5th podcast that he never published. It, notedly, has a different tone to it than the rest.

http://www.nocommentrock.com/broadcast/ncbc005.mp3

The Odd "Radio" in the intro blurb is me, as Golem.... I didn't think hed use any of that... i think I still have the full recording...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 02:10      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Shit!

I was wondering what he was up to, because I haven't heard from him either. Really bad that it took us a year to get the info. But it wouldn't have changed anything either..

Taco, bye bye.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2008 17:44      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god. I'm really going to miss him. I was asking about him a few weeks ago, god =/
Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture