homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Camden fire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Camden fire
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 03:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Mrs Druid and I lived in London, a popular weekend passtime was to walk for an hour or so along the old canal to Camden Lock, stroll through the market, have lunch and a pint or 3, maybe take in a comedy show, or just watch some of the buskers. While I found many of the "attractions" of London over-rated, I have many fond memories of Camden Market.

So I was saddened to learn that much of it may be gone forever.

Treasures like this, once lost, can never be re-built. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 04:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad. Especially when you consider that it will more than likely be replaced with a generic, off-the-shelf, city centre shopping area that looks like everywhere else.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 21:20      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad, but it seems to be the way things turn out. I live in an "older" (established pre. 1800) town in the Northest USA, where we actually have a village center. While still suburban, I can actually walk to our drugstore, post office and the schools my children attended. There are businesses which have been there, each in their own building, since I was a child over 40 years ago. There is clearly a character to "the town".

When I visit much of the rest of the USA, it is nothing like this. It is residential tracts (even worse when they are gated), with "shopping centers" located a short car ride away (but not really in walking distance). It's generic and antiseptic and generally alienating. There is no sense of a community... because there isn't any geographical or economic incentive to be a community.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think we would all be better off in cities more like European ones than what we have created in North America (NY, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and Vancouver excepted).

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 06:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a nice little club up there where I saw among others Queen Ida, and the great (in every sense of the word) Etta James. It's a sad story. [Frown]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 08:55      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that they will rebuild and save the character of the place. Do they know what started it?

Saw this morning that another landmark burned last night. The old city gate in Seoul. They think it might be arson.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture