homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Whats up with the Cables to India

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats up with the Cables to India
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2008 12:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________Seems that the underwater internet cables to India seem to be getting cut, who has a grudge with them, whoops maybe the outsoursing thing. Sorry.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2008 15:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Internet is a bunch of tubes...sometimes those tubes can get cut...and fill with water. Don't tubes normally carry water?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2008 16:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Sometimes they carry flashes of light. Now my damn mind just ran off again would a neutrino flash cause a corruption of data?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2008 18:18      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that it is now 3 cables.

Forgive my light-up tinfoil colander hat, but I am pmsing so it is probably just hormonal but....

I have read in several different places that Iran has been singularly affected. so, with the surge in iraq, the building of a few bases nearer the border to deal with "weapon smuggling", the buildup of the fleet w/lotsa lotsa carriers, the reports of stupid confrontations/incidents with speedboats, and bush facing leaving office a buffoon and disgrace....

Perhaps within the next few days or weeks they are getting ready to start a new war?

Ok, so suppose that happens, and the flow of oil is shut off. $5,$6 or more gas? I know life in my semi-rural area would be severely affected, how about commuters in Cali? Or boston? Or anywhere in USA outside of the cities with a decent public transport system?

So a new horrific f'up in mideast leading to many thousands of deaths, injuries, and chaos, a recession at home, credit crunch, housing implosion and rising unemployment? 200 dollar a barrel oil. hmm, what else? It is going to suck for a very long time.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2008 19:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some real info on Net impact, you may want to take a look here:
http://www.renesys.com/blog/index.shtml

In the end, sh*t happens, and it pays to have more than one link. (The real kicker is that sometimes you think you have your fiber coming from totally different directions, but some idiot reroutes it so that it goes down the same pipe for a stretch. That's when "backhoe fade" kicks in, and a really bad day starts.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 07:16      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you dman. I am feeling better today, and shut off the blinking christmas lights on my super duper colander hat. heehee. By the way, the count is now 4 cables.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 08:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ So is that four cables not working or four cables running at max?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 08:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 damaged/cut cables.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 09:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Hey Dman did you know that all of this electronic stuff runs on smoke.

Yup let the smoke out of those little things and they don't work. Same with water it washes away the smoke.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2008 11:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe. My boss almost fired a technician after she used water to let the smoke out of a centrifuge. That was fun. You never want to smell electrical smoke in your lab. Never ever. We tried to get the department instrumentation shop to fix it and their response was something like "Are you fscking kidding?"

I'm not sure why he pulled the punch to be honest. She was a pretty lousy tech, and not just because she destroyed one of our centrifuges.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture