homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » maggots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: maggots
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 05:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A woman has claied to have found livemaggots in her baby food. I found this on CNN.

I don't really know what to think. I could believe having found a dead insect but A live insect in a canned good. This doesn't seem posible. The life span of a fly is like 14 days. The time spent as a larva is even less than that. I cannot believe the baby food jar went from factory to the house in a few days.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 06:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, they weren't "in" the food, they were on the surface of the jar under the plastic safety seal right next to the openings in the plastic safety seal that were more than large enough for a fly to lay eggs in. Most likely, a jar broke somewhere along the line and some baby food wound up getting under the seal when it went through the openings, then flies did what flies tend to do... they laid eggs on the rotting food.

A more intelligent person would simply remove the seal and wash off the jar before opening it, but these people have apparently never been exposed to the natural world and had no idea what to do other than call the local news station. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 10:54      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. The maggots are obviously a result of spontaneous generation.

Take that, evilutionists! [crazy]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 12:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just put "with added protein" on the label and charge 50 cents more.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 12:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me... what's the best thing about shagging a corpse? ... feeling the maggots wriggling around inside. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 15:24      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
That reminds me... what's the best thing about shagging a corpse? ... felling the maggots wriggling around inside. [Smile]

Eh, it's been done.*

*It should go without saying based on context, but that link is verrrrrrrrrry NSFW.

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 19:34      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here I thought this was about my Slipknot friends back in Des Moines.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2008 07:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ I hate to bring this into the topic. If you have a burn patient with severe pain and need to debride the wound, maggots are much less painful on the patient, plus they will not harm healthy tissue.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2008 09:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_________________________ I hate to bring this into the topic. If you have a burn patient with severe pain and need to debride the wound, maggots are much less painful on the patient, plus they will not harm healthy tissue.

Provided the maggots are of the correct species.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2008 09:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bay Area yuppies. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2008 15:39      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Classic CNN story. Keep the masses distracted from real issues.
Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture