homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » BCers shaken?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BCers shaken?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2008 10:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following the news of a recent strong earthquake in BC, that follows two others: number one, number two of greater magnitude on January 5th, and being curious as you know me, I'd just like to check with BCers about if they felt it - and how much. (And making sure they are OK, too. They should be, 6.2-6.5 isn't that bad, but just to know.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 09, 2008 10:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't feel it here, of course it occurred pretty early in the morning, 6 AMish I think.

Any crashing, smashing, or similar raucous at that time I would attribute to NitroKitty and try to go back to bed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2008 10:44      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't feel it here, either. Although my friends out in Metchosin (farming/rural suburb of Victoria) did feel the first one. They said the usual: felt like a big truck drove past. Only there was no big truck.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2008 11:10      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the opposite side of the continent, but what I did hear last night was the crashing of the top half of a dead property-line tree into my yard. That would be the tree that the neighbor said he would take down last year since it's on his side of the fence. Grr. At least I get the salvageable wood from it now [Razz]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 09, 2008 11:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We felt one in Sooke a few years ago... like a huge truck was just about to hit the cabin. There was even a sound, a huge bang. by the time you realized it was a quake, and not a truck, it was over.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2008 15:46      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I just think it's great that here Stereo is asking
how people are on the other side of the continent even
though we had a good sized quake right here in our area last night.
My heart is still racing from the excitement of it all! [crazy]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2008 23:45      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not feel it, sadly... incidentally the on that N&S felt in sooke a few year back... that happened around 4 in the afternoon, I was on the phone with a customer... I said earthquake, customer said whaaa, i thought it was a truck. Was at least a 5 pointer.

I endured a quake whilst visiting my sister in 2001 in Los Angeles.... in bed at night... at least 4.5 points, kinda freaky as all the car alarms in the area engaged.

The ones here on the island are usually, kind of jumpy, the ones in LA are side to side jerky... and that make sense based on the types of faults that cause them... but it's an odd sensation.

I used to wanna be a geologist, but the tech bug bit me...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 00:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around six years ago, Seattle got hit by the Near Big One. 6.8, lots of shaking, damage to old buildings, but that was about it. The fault under Seattle is deep, way deeper than the ones in Cali, and so the earth itself muffled the quaking. I wasn't there, but I heard about it.

My dad was on the road, going to see a doctor. He thought he'd blown a tire, but when he parked the car his tires were fine. So he wandered on into the clinic, somehow missed the part where the lights were out and the place was evacuated, and then got pissed off that the elevator was down. He grumped up the stairs, met some other confused people, and then they realized that that shaking bit a few minutes earlier was an earthquake and the power had consequently gone out and, oh by the way, they really weren't supposed to be there.

I've personally been in three quakes, all less than 5. I only felt one of them though. Felt like my chair was getting kicked, except I was alone in that part of the house. I called a friend to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 13:18      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Sooke one, too. I was spending the day out at a barn, helping my friend shoe his horses. I was holding the lead of a large obstinate one when the quake happened... she spooked, reared, landed on my foot and broke my toe. Damn horse.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2008 15:43      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
I'm on the opposite side of the continent, but what I did hear last night was the crashing of the top half of a dead property-line tree into my yard. That would be the tree that the neighbor said he would take down last year since it's on his side of the fence. Grr. At least I get the salvageable wood from it now [Razz]

Watch out for the mist!!

No Earthquake here - even though we did have a Tornado warning a couple days ago - even though the chances of a Tornado are slim to none.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture