homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » So farewell then....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So farewell then....
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2008 22:44      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So farewell then Netscape Navigator,
You always seemed very human;
really hot when you were young
but old and ugly at the end.

(With apologies to EJ Thribb)

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 07:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy's throbber icon in the JoyPoll really takes me back...it's been a long time since I've used Netscape. Heck, I /switched/ from Netscape to IE for stability reasons. ;P

My browser history:
Mosaic
Netscape
IE
Some Gnome Browser (I forget the name); Edit: Galeon†
Konqueror
Phoenix
Firebird
Firefox
(as an alternate browser, I've also used Seamonkey)
(and now that it's free [as in beer], I use Opera)
(and for printing, Safari)

† I Googled 'gnome mozilla browser' - it's been awhile...and I hate Gnome. Still, that was back in the KDE1 days, and well...'twas kind of fugly, and Konqueror didn't exist.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 12:01      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine:

• Netscape
  • IE Mac
  • Opera
  • Safari
  • (and right now Mobile Safari)

I liked Netscape, but IE was a refreshing change after all that time. I still miss some of its features. I'm now very happy with Safari, especially now it's caught up with Firebug for debugging, but I still use a few others for testing.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trikkerat
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13403

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 21:14      Profile for Trikkerat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new! I use Safari mostly, but also have Firefox and Camino.
Does anybuddy use Camino?
I have a question about ISP's. I used AOL of awhile then got onto the AT&T. Is there anything out there that is as good or better that costs less or no more than what I'm using?
Trikke rat

--------------------
To the world you are one person, to a rat, you are the world.

Posts: 4 | From: Ks. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 21:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trikkerat -
welcome to the forums. [Smile]

I've been using Camino for a while now, after a friend suggested I try it. It may just be my imagination, but it seems a bit snappier than Firefox on my aging G4 iMac.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 22:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camino's alright, but I never use it. I live and die by Firefox's extensions, and so there's little reason for me to use Camino if I can use Firefox. I use Safari for printing, and also for isolating certain apps to keep from crashing via Flash or Java. Otherwise, I quite like Opera as an alternative browser...it's fast, and I quite like the custom site prefs.

That said, if you need a 'real browser,' and don't need Firefox's extensions, Camino is a great browser!

(Still, I can't work without Web Developer Toolbar & Firebug. [And Greasemonkey is just grand.])

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 02:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Omniweb most of the time. I really like its workspaces feature, and its intelligent autocomplete feature that, for example, will bring up fakesteve.blogspot.com as an option if you type "jobs" in the address box. It is also quick and renders pages beautifully. I keep swapping between it and Safari as my main browser, depending on which seems the most stable at the time. Camino is my backup browser for sites that webkit cannot handle. Firefox is slower than Camino, and on the Mac still feels to me like a rather kludgy ugly PC port. Apparently version 3 will be much more Maclike, but they said that about v 2 as well.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 07:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've used nearly every browser ever made (even the crappy AOL ones).

For browsing, I use Opera 9.x, Firefox 2.x and IE 6.x.

IE gets used for my company intranet and my 401K because neither allows anything else. Firefox gets used for Kingdom of Loathing because of a bug with how the chat window works with Opera. Opera gets used for everything else.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 12:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Mosaic, Netscape, Foxfire and IE. I even remember pre browser net use, but it was pretty painful. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 06, 2008 16:13      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Netscape, it was still popular when I surfed the net for the first time, but I switched to IE 5 after pages stopped to support it. After it was revealed that IE 6 was full of security holes, I switxhed to Firefox but a friend recommended Opera to me and I'm using it since version 8. I've tasted other browsers in the way, but they're still inmature or resource hungry.
Opera works well for me.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture