homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Banished Words

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Banished Words
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 14:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be happy to never see or hear most of these again

*EDIT*
Speaking of organic...
*sigh*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 15:08      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm organic. Eat me. [crazy]

*hates that designation*

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 15:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I'd be happy to never see or hear most of these again

The one I hate more than any other -- even more than Celine Dion -- is "at the end of the day". I want to shoot people who say this. You might as well wear a t-shirt saying "I have no imagination -- I can only express myself in other people's lazy phrases". These expressions are useful, I suppose, as they serve to indicate to the rest of us what an arsehole the speaker is -- it's like a beacon telling you "this person has no opinion worth paying attention to -- you'd be better off listening to a piece of string". Gah. [Mad]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 16:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They included my pet peeve #37...

quote:
AUTHOR/AUTHORED "In one of former TV commentator Edwin Newman's books, he wonders if it would be correct to say that someone 'paintered' a picture?"
but left out pet peeve #36...

BURGLARIZED - would it be correct to say that someone 'painterized' a picture?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 16:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo wrote:
The one I hate more than any other -- even more than Celine Dion -- is "at the end of the day". I want to shoot people who say this.

What if they sing it instead?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 18:15      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think too many people are saying 'comedic' whey they mean 'comic', and that annoys me. It seems to be a very popular word at be moment as well.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 20:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I think too many people are saying 'comedic' whey they mean 'comic', and that annoys me. It seems to be a very popular word at be moment as well.

Yes! Yes! ... and then Yes again, I say! Quite right, old bean. Glad someone else brought it up.

Bravo, Sir.

edit: wouldn't that mean that tragedic was a word too? [Wink]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 31, 2007 22:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:

Yes! Yes! ... and then Yes again, I say! Quite right, old bean. Glad someone else brought it up.

Bravo, Sir.

edit: wouldn't that mean that tragedic was a word too? [Wink]

Isn't it ironic that you would say such a thing?

/coat

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2008 20:21      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take heart, everyone! I've recently noticed a decrease in the use of "orientate"!

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 13:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Dave: Take heart, everyone! I've recently noticed a decrease in the use of "orientate"!
...but what about the increase in the use of the word "incentivise"? [Mad] [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 14:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Dave: Take heart, everyone! I've recently noticed a decrease in the use of "orientate"!
...but what about the increase in the use of the word "incentivise"? [Mad] [shake head]
I imagine that's entirely doable.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 16:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the committee agrees we will put in motion actions to facilitate that.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 17:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
quote:
quote:
If the committee agrees we will put in motion actions to facilitate that.
Shouldn't we workshop that first?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 21:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TFD: Shouldn't we workshop that first?

No. But I would be willing to initiate a thought-shower [Frown]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2008 22:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Gack...that's horrible. Where have you heard/seen that one?

/me feels compelled to use that in the next meeting he gets sucked into. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 02:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Excellent Grummy, that should help get all our ducks in a row. We need to think outside the box about this one. Get some real blue skies visioneering done.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 04:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just realised, GC doesn't have a mission statement!

I'm sure we can leverage our available resources to engineer an excellent, customer-focused mission statement, on-time and under-budget.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 07:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I hear buzzwords being flung around, I always think of this

Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
Thats the way we do things lad, we're making shit up as we wish
The Klingons and the Romulans pose no threat to us
'Cause if we find we're in a bind we're totally screwed but nevermind
We'll pull something out of our behinds, we just make some shit up

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 13:57      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97 quote:Originally posted by Grummash:

quote:Originally posted by TFD: Shouldn't we workshop that first?

Gack...that's horrible. Where have you heard/seen that one?

This is how the management talk where I work. They like to take a helicopter view of things, so that they can spot any low-hanging fruit (and yes, they do really mix their metaphors like this!) and be first to put the team in front of the action.

I have heard all this bull$4it spoken in meetings however, going forward, I won't allow it on my radar.

/coat

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture