homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Will I go to Melbourne?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will I go to Melbourne?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 06:56      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an opportunity to go for three weeks, airfare paid by my parent's Air Miles [(R) or (c)?] or some other travellers' program. Then I'd only have to pay housing and meals. [thumbsup]

Problem: I have just enough accumulated paid leave days for that, which means I can barely take another day before or after, until the new fiscal year. (i.e.: at best one day off between Christmas and New Year, and nothing else.) 1/2 [thumbsdown]

Oh, and I need to renew my passport, but I should have enough time for that, so it's a neutral point. (Ah, but then I can't even take half a day off to take care of that!)

So the question is, how is Melbourne in February? Oh, and would Melbournians want to see me? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 07:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is unpaid vacation an option?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 08:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I am just confuzzled.

You can take three weeks off now and not have anything else before the beginning of '08? Or do you mean '09?

If you mean '08, then I fucking envy you. If you mean '09, then don't forget about personal and sick days.

But really, how often will you get the chance to go? If you don't think you will have another chance for a long, long time. I say fly and figure out the rest of the year as it happens.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 09:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka: yes, unpaid vacation is an option, but with taxes day coming, and the money I'd still have to pay, I'd rather not.

Shroom: the new fiscal year begins on April 1st of each year (well, for the canadian governement, anyway), so it's not too bad. It's just that every once in a while, I get into a situation where taking half a day off is the best solution (like this one I have looming on me: the mirror I had requested to my specifications is ready for pick-up - luckily this time, they are open on Saturday, so I still have this option).

I'll probably go anyway; I'm not the kind to pass up such a golden opportunity - I'm the kind to seize it, then worry over it. [crazy] (Just a couple of things to take care of - making sure I can get passport-sized photos, proof of citizenship and the like in time to have my new passport by February, and I call my parents.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 13, 2007 10:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU GO GIRL!

Australia in Feb is nice!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 12:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Stereo, take the opportunity and go. Work might be fun but you also need to be a little adventurous sometimes and go see the world.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 12:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
February's a good time to visit Melbourne, it'll probably be hotter than the summers you're used to in Quebec, but less humid. The average maximum is around 25 C, but 30 C days are common, and there's usually 2 or 3 days around 35 C. Of course, Melbourne weather is notoriously variable, so don't blame me if you get snowed on.

Melbourne's a vibrant, multicultural city, with lots to see, do, and eat. Even Sydney people (our traditional rivals) acknowledge the restaurant and cafe scene in Melbourne is far superior to their feeble offerings.

Further afield, there's lots of 'great outdoors' to enjoy. You can see the penguins at Phillip Island, or visit some of our excellent national parks.

Plus there's the opportunity to go out for a beer with me, and maybe tag along on Clan McDruid's gourmet picnic at Hanging Rock.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2007 05:36      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just moved to Melbourne myself, so if you do make it count me in for a party of some description [Smile]
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 19, 2007 06:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! I really hope I'll be able to go.

I have begun the "getting the passport" process (got my photos, requested my new birth certificate - the old one isn't accepted anymore). I fully expect to get it in time. Now, it's all about surprises, as my parents are going for business-related matters, and experience shows that dealing with a small company means being prepared for a change of plans at the last minute.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2007 04:10      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, Stereo! I really hope you're able to make it out there... I'm a big believer in seizing opportunities, and I'm glad you are too - it's totally worth it nearly every time [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 29, 2008 13:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: I'm not going. At least, not in February. My parents delayed buying the tickets, and now their "price" (in air miles or whatever) has increased; plus my mom may have lost hers. An then my father will probably attend another expo in Brazil that happens at about the same time... [Frown]

There's a slight possibility for May, or maybe later in the year; but if my mom can't have her points back, I'll let her have the extra points from my father's card, and wait till I can pay for it myself. (Maybe I could play the lottery for once, and be lucky? Unfortunately, if I can buy lottery ticket, I can do nothing about the "be lucky" part, so it doesn't help much.) Or maybe I'll just check my spending closely, and instead of manking an advanced final payment on my car, I'll go. Or something else.

I'm not giving up, so just be patient - someday I'll go. [Smile]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture