homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Western Digital joins the dark side

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western Digital joins the dark side
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 12:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Share your files... but not all your files

I'm so glad companies are watching out for our intellectual property this way [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 13:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no computer wiz hacker or anything, but if you want to trade a divx file, why can't you just give the file an extension that is allowed, and change it back once it has been transfered.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 13:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real problem I see, is that it is blocking file extensions arbitrarily.

This just assumes that he owner of the drive is planning on sending it out for piracy. What if you run a media center? Or have multiple home systems?

I have all my music on a shared drive that anyone with access to the domain can get to and listen to what is on that folder. Not to pass out to the greater world.

So WD decides that the best thing to do is call everyone a thief and just cut it out. [thumbsdown]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 13:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a tired, but capable PC, shove it full of drives (not Maxtor, of course =P), and just run this:

http://www.freenas.org/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 14:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom got my point. It's not that you can't find an alternative, it's that a hardware manufacturer has given in to the demands of the entertainment industry and simply blocked the sharing of movies and music.

What if I want to record a song I wrote and sang and post it to the internet? My digital camera will take short movies and store them as Quicktime files. What if I want to share something I recorded with my friends? And AAC files? They already support built-in DRM that prevents playback unless you own the file in the first place? Why are they blocked?

Why the hell should a hard drive manufacturer be allowed to dictate which file formats I am allowed share and which ones I'm not?

... and what happens when the entertainment industry presses further (and don't pretend that they won't) and demands that these file formats should not be allowed to even be stored, much less shared?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 15:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: I get your point loud and clear. It's complete and utter BS of WD. Still, I'm presenting a less crappy option...that runs BSD. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2007 16:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, Ashitaka, CommanderShroom, & dragonman97 ______________ Disney and the RIAA, Whoever represents the the movie ind. are running scared, too many garage bands don't need them any more to distribute intertaiment.

How will we pay for these studios and film lots and rake in shite pots of money if there is no way to stop people E-mailing there own stuff we have to stop this bleeding of cash from our coffers. Lets ask the hardware manufactors to help us with the DRMs.

And some of you do not see this as erosion of your own personal liberties, Big business is running this country not the citizens.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture