homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Saturday Single

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saturday Single
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2007 06:32      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at work right now. I've got a new crazy sitting out at a library table babbling to himself and wearing a medieval style jester hat. .... Hopefully not a sign of how work will be going all day.

So my question is who was the weirdest customer you've had to deal with?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2007 07:13      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working in a library there are so many to choose from - from the wacko to the rude. LOL

I think it is a three way tie between the guy who used to call us from the phone booth next to the reference desk to ask us his questions.

Another classic is the lady who thinks satan is trying to take her over through our computer mice; however her faith is strong enough that she keeps using them.

The other is Krull, our nickname because of his dress. He is dresses all in black with the long coat and shin guards. He plays hack and slash games on his laptop here. Not weird so far, but when the game gets difficult he goes upstairs to the bathroom and locks himself in a stall to be away from distractions. The cord going out of the stall and out into the hall tends to give him away.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2007 07:20      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well - Today I saw a clown go grocery shopping - kind of weird.

I guess the person I will always remember is the lady who made me run around the store for 20 min. looking for her different request for sunflower seeds - turning down every single product I brought her until she walked away muttering to herself.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2007 07:38      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe your clown and myjester are friends?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 10:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard question.

When I was a teenager, working at taco bell, a really scruffy looking guy(read probably homeless) came in and order three tacos and paid for them with assorted change. It was lunch time and we were busy. When is order came up, along with a few other orders , I saw him grab one of the tacos and quickly stick it in his back jeans pocket. He then complained, reciept in hand and not knowing I had seen him pocket a taco, that he had ordered three but recieved two tacos. I stared at him for a minute, an just before I called him out for being a liar, I chuckled and gave him anouther taco.

Anybody hungry enough to crumpled taco stuffed into a dirty back pocket deserves anouther taco.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 10:36      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first /real/ job was as a clerk (among MANY other tasks) at a RadioShack franchise store. Since we were a tiny franchise store, and not a real RadioShack corporate owned store, we didn't see too many customers, and we were usually more than happy to fix their problems, even if it meant going on site to do so.

The weirdest customer I ever saw there was this bitter, angry, rude old lady (who's name I can't recall...) who apparently had a crush on Bob, the owner of the store. She would come in with these little piss-ass problems and complain until we said we'd follow her home to fix it, and then she'd say "could Bob do it?" Creepy... But, anyway, my first (and only) encounter with her was when she came in one day after changing her remote batteries and her remote no longer worked. (Okay, so she SAID that it "just stopped working," but I'm still sure she changed the batteries.) Allow me to interject the small detail that Bob was not at the store that day. Not only was she downright rude with me, but when I told her that I couldn't program the remote right there in the store to work with her TV at home she flat out said "I don't believe you.. don't lie to me." I tried to explain that it used a special code, and that code was fairly specific to her TV. She said, "There's a TV right there.." and pointed to one of our display models. I tried to explain that if I set the remote to work with /our/ TV that it wouldn't work with /her/ TV. She kept insisting that I was lying. I transferred her problem over to my manager, Justin, because I was about 3 seconds from punching the old hag in the face. It took Justin about 15 minutes to get her to concede that, yes, we had to actually be in front of /her/ TV to program the remote to work with it.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 12:09      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the summers I work at the local amusement park in the employee cafe. In order to have enough workers, they hire International workers (often from Ecuador, Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, and other places). Some don't speak much English and they absolutely hate change. American change is useless to them when they leave here so they like spending it. Last year, I had a guy pay for four dollar or so meal in pennies. He gave me a shopping bag full of pennies. I spent 10 minutes counting those stupid pennies. He left about two minutes into it. The customers behind him weren't too happy. I wasn't too happy either...

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 14:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the right money in the end?

Remember no matter how annoying it was to you maybe he really needed to do that... if he wasn't cheating you even by a "penny" he had to count it all out first - and in a currency that is not natural to him - some (not all I admit) of these people are just doing what they have to to make ends meet, and even the weak dollar is worth a lot more than they can earn in some of their home countries..

just be thankful that no matter what our problems they are not as bad as what drives some of these workers...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sludgedragon
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8746

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 17:01      Profile for Sludgedragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a guy who comes in several times a day with ideas for new stamps, usually involving yarn or bridges... [Smile]
Posts: 10 | From: Oregon USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2007 21:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One place I worked at, there was a client who was due some money, but he was paranoid delusional and didn't trust us.

repeat
     client applies for his money
     we send cheque to the address he gave us
     cheque is returned marked NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS
until hell-freezes-over

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 06:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlenewsie, Kennywood??
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 07:20      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the total was a few cents off, either that or I gave up counting a half way through because I was getting very angry stares from the customers waiting in line.

Nope, not Kennywood. Never actually been there. I work at Dorney Park on the other side of the state.

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 07:43      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last job was in a pharmacy where I was dealing with drug addicts, teen pregnancies and drugged up old people every day. It's too hard to choose!

So I'll go with one from when I worked in an electronics store. A car pulled up outside, with the BOOM-BOOM-BOOM of some huge expensive stereo system outside. In swaggered the driver of the car, who wondered up to the desk and proclaimed, "I want some wire. My car's not working". When pressed upon what was wrong with the car, he explained that the speakers weren't working properly (this took a while, as "My car ain't working, I just want some wire" seemed to be his best method of explaining the problem).

So he was offered some speaker wire. This wasn't good enough apparently, and the customer demanded the most expensive wire we had, which was industrial mains cabling. He requested that we give him 5 metres, and ask no further questions.

One of the older gents who had been working there for donkey's years took pity on the customer, and in a last ditch attempt to help asked, "What type of car do you have?".

"A RED one!" the customer announced happily.

"Oh, you'll need six metres if it's a red one"

The customer bought his six metres of mains cabling, and was never seen from again.

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2007 15:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons, too funny. I love the old junkers with stereos put in that are worth more than the car. I saw one at a traffic light recently. I thought the bass might actually shake the car apart.

I've never been to Kennywood either, but they are supposed to have a great classic coaster there. I had several friends in grad school who worked summers there.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 19:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best stories I ever read about characters at a library were in a book entitled, "The Abortion" by Richard Brautigan.

The Presidio area of San Francisco is a wonderful place, and apparently so is the library there.

Must reading, I would think, for Aditu on a dreary Saturday full of odd Library characters.

http://www.brautigan.net/abortion.html

Really, a great read.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 21:39      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite weird/dumb customer was a lady paying with a credit card, this was waaaay before the card swipe. We had to use that machine with the plate with the store info then fill out the purchase info by hand. So I realize the card is expired by 3 or 4 weeks. We got into a disagreement because she didnt believe me. Even after I pointed out the dates on the card. Her reasoning? "It can't be expired, I am still getting bills on it." oy.

What about evilness on my part towards the customers? hehehe this one is baaaaaad. And if by any chance anyone reading this recognizes himself, um, I was really young, really bratty and I am sorry. (it is funny though)

I worked as a receptionist at a hospital lab. These men in power suit, master-of-the-universe types would come in announcing " I am here for my sperm test"

and me being a brat would smile and say " Great! do you have your sample?"

And they would look at me with dawning horror in their eyes and say some variation of "um, noooo"

And I would smile that vacant but perky 19 year old smile and say sweetly "Not a problem. Here is your sterile cup, out the door, make a left, 2nd door on left is the men's room. When you are done bring the sample back and I'll log it in."

It was a catholic hospital with crucifexes and nuns. sigh. It was great. One guy stumbled back in, sweat streaming, hair all frizzled and said im sorry I cant, not with all these crosses around. hehehehe. gosh, I was evil. They really could have just taken the cup and gone home.snicker.

Now being a mature adult I would never ever do anything that snarky ever ever again. honest.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 23:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFLMAO! Yes, you are evil, but damn...and they didn't even ask if it had to be that way? LOL!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2007 23:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
One guy stumbled back in, sweat streaming, hair all frizzled and said im sorry I cant, not with all these crosses around.

And you didn't volunteer to lend a hand? [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2007 11:36      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I've had very few customer service jobs (only one, actually; I worked in the meat department of an albertson's for a couple weeks in highschool).

I met some pretty interesting people while I was washing dishes after I graduated. All the cooks were dosing up on speed to keep up with their shifts. All of my fellow dishwashers who weren't in highschool were fresh out of prison, and most of the cooks were on parole.

The funniest story I've ever heard is from my roommate- he works in the meat department of the local Costco. One day some stoner comes in, to get some bacon or something- and then he sees the lobsters.

"Dude, I don't think they like it in there. Why are they in there?"

"Because people like to eat them, sir. They're delicious, and they make a satisfying sound when they're boiled."

"Dude! Uncool! Give me that one!" (He indicates the largest lobster; there were maybe only three in the tank.

My roommate weighs and hands over the lobster.

"You're free, little dude! I'll set you free!"

----------

Now, there's a duckpond on the university campus here. It's right next to the main road that bisects campus; in fact, you get fined more for hitting a duck with your car than for hitting a person. Go figure.

Anyways, this duckpond traditionally has very nasty water. A month or two ago they decide to clean it. What do they find in the bottom?

A dead lobster.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture